Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Who is this person? - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Who is this person? (/thread-240.html)

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 07-26-2014 03:24 PM

Thank you, Eva - love the prize!

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 08-08-2014 02:35 PM

Maybe this will not challenge you - who is this gentleman?
[attachment=836]

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 08-08-2014 03:23 PM

Since I think you posted that David Herbert Donald is your favorite Lincoln author I will say him.

P.S. He is one of my favorites, too.

RE: Who is this person? - Gene C - 08-08-2014 03:34 PM

Kind of looks like Wally Cox

RE: Who is this person? - LincolnToddFan - 08-08-2014 05:50 PM

I will say it's either James Randall or David Herbert Donald.

Can I do that? Take two whacks at it in one answer?Wink

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 08-08-2014 06:44 PM

Yes, Toia, that's fine - thanks for guessing! And one of the two guesses is correct - very smart indeed, Roger!!! It's David Donald! I couldn't resist not to wait...and hoped the old picture would make it a little more difficult! Donald is not only my favorite author, I saw him in some interviews and found him a very nice and kind character.

Here's an interview in which Jackie Kennedy recalled a meeting with Donald when he held a speech at the White House in 1962. Please scroll down to "JACQUELINE KENNEDY, HISTORIC CONVERSATIONS: THE SIXTH CONVERSATION III, March 23, 2012":
http://jfkplusfifty.wordpress.com/?s=donald&submit=Search

The prize is all my best wishes for a good weekend!

RE: Who is this person? - LincolnToddFan - 08-08-2014 07:09 PM

That's fantastic, Eva...thank you! I have that book as well as the CD's.

I remember reading in Seymour Hersh's "The Dark Side of Camelot" about Herbert Donald's Lincoln lecture at the Kennedy White House. And I remember that he did not seem very impressed with JFK at the time...at all.Confused

Jacqueline Kennedy had a sort of historical crush on AL, once stating that while she admired Thomas Jefferson.."Lincoln is the one I love". She said the she liked to go to the Lincoln Bedroom and have "little conversations" with him, and that she found great comfort in the fact that his spirit was so strongly felt in the White House. Laura Bush made the same remark in a TV interview(that AL's spirit is still most strongly felt in the WH)

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 08-08-2014 07:13 PM

I so much would have loved to tour the White House - but that' s almost impossible for a common foreigner...

RE: Who is this person? - LincolnToddFan - 08-08-2014 07:25 PM

Eva,

Not true. I think they are still conducting WH tours aren't they?

I made the tour as an eight year old and I was awed by the beauty of the place. It was 1968 and had undergone the famous Kennedy restoration. I remember it as a very elegant, majestic place. I also remember feeling very disappointed that we could not see the Lincoln Bedroom as it is in the upstairs private quarters.

But I would love to see it again as an adult!

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 08-08-2014 07:34 PM

Since 9/11 as a foreigner you can only tour the WH upon negotiations by the ambassador of your country and a resulting personal invitation.

RE: Who is this person? - LincolnToddFan - 08-08-2014 07:50 PM

OMG...Eva E. I had no idea-I am so sorry!

I also read somewhere that the streets in front of the WH are no longer accessible to the public like back in the day.

Damn despicable terrorists!!!Angry

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 08-09-2014 02:47 AM

I don't recall what the procedure exactly was, but it's way easier for US citizens.
(08-08-2014 07:50 PM)LincolnToddFan Wrote:  I also read somewhere that the streets in front of the WH are no longer accessible to the public like back in the day.
They were at least in March:
[attachment=837] [attachment=838]

RE: Who is this person? - LincolnToddFan - 08-09-2014 02:50 PM

Beautiful....for some reason I remember reading that they were blocked off during the Clinton Administration to ward off a terrorist attack!

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 08-17-2014 03:40 AM

Who is this gentleman?
[attachment=861]

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 08-17-2014 05:07 AM

A younger photo of Ninian Edwards than the one normally seen in books?