Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Who is this person? - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Who is this person? (/thread-240.html)

RE: Who is this person? - L Verge - 06-19-2014 06:50 PM

(06-19-2014 05:00 PM)Gene C Wrote:  that's Fido's playmate, Thomas (Tad) Lincoln

I found that photo new to me. It was taken while Tad was a student at a school in Germany. I'll have to supply the name of the school tomorrow when I get back to work where the book is. I'll bet some of you already know the name of the school, however.

(06-19-2014 06:50 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  I don't know who it is, but I once tried to dig up a photo of Dr. Hohagen, and this gentleman looks like what I would have expected to find. (Since the Stadtarchiv Frankfurt had no photo, I doubt it's Dr. Hohagen.)
So I guess Alexander Williamson?

I truthfully did not think anyone would know this man, but you continue to amaze me! If I had not posted it right after the Tad photo, would you have known it was Tad's tutor?

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 06-19-2014 07:21 PM

I'm not sure. He just looks like a typical (German at least) late 19th/turn-of-the-century teacher. Teacher would probably have come to my mind pretty soon.

RE: Who is this person? - L Verge - 06-19-2014 07:36 PM

Do you have information on Dr. Hohagen, his school, and Tad's success as a student there?

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 06-19-2014 07:50 PM

All the archive in Frankfurt knew I posted here in post #3+6:
http://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium/thread-1215-post-25560.html?
As for his success, I only know what Jean Baker wrote.

RE: Who is this person? - LincolnToddFan - 06-19-2014 08:33 PM

(06-19-2014 07:36 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Do you have information on Dr. Hohagen, his school, and Tad's success as a student there?

According to Linda Leavitt Turner and Justin Turner in the MTL Letters anthology, at the time of his death at age 18, Tad was fluent in both German and French. He spoke English with a clipped German accent and had beautiful manners. This is amazing when one considers that only six years before, he had been completely illiterate and undisciplined.

Robert was so proud and excited by his little brother's progress he had even begun making plans for his future, possibly looking at colleges to enroll him in.

The European school system seems to have worked marvels for him.

RE: Who is this person? - L Verge - 06-19-2014 09:09 PM

It makes one wonder if DISCIPLINE (and I am not referring to corporal punishment) was finally the key to breaking through into Tad's intellect... I am a firm believer that children need structure and meaningful guidance, especially if there is a learning disorder.

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 06-19-2014 09:17 PM

Allow me to quote from W. A. Evans (who was a physician): "German discipline supplied just his needs."

RE: Who is this person? - LincolnToddFan - 06-19-2014 10:24 PM

(06-19-2014 09:09 PM)L Verge Wrote:  It makes one wonder if DISCIPLINE (and I am not referring to corporal punishment) was finally the key to breaking through into Tad's intellect... I am a firm believer that children need structure and meaningful guidance, especially if there is a learning disorder.

I could not agree more Laurie. As poignant as I find AL's love and attachment to his youngest son I don't think it was particularly healthy for a 12 year old to be carried off to bed like a toddler and also to be having his father or a nursemaid dress him in the morning. At the age of 12 a child is on the very brink of puberty, but you would never know it by reading a description of Lincoln's last months with Tad.

The assassination was a horrible blow for the kid, but it forced him to grow and mature in a way that I am not sure would have happened with his indulgent father on the scene.

"...When this war is over I tell my boy Tad that we will go back to the farm, where I was happier as a boy...than I am now; I tell him I will buy him a mule and a pony and he shall have a little cart and...a little garden..all his own." (Looking For Lincoln, Kunhardt, pg#160 hardcopy)

Haunting, sad and sweet all at once, that was his father's long term plan for Tad.Undecided

Eva, it appears "German discipline" is exactly what he needed and would never have gotten from his overly indulgent "Papa-day".

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 06-20-2014 12:32 AM

As it is a Prussian virtue, "Prussian discipline" would in fact have been the better term.

(06-19-2014 10:24 PM)LincolnToddFan Wrote:  The assassination was a horrible blow for the kid, but it forced him to grow and mature in a way that I am not sure would have happened with his indulgent father on the scene.
According to Elizabeth Keckley he sensed that right the day after the assassination: "Pa is dead. I can hardly believe that I shall never see him again. I must learn to take care of myself now. Yes, Pa is dead, and I am only Tad Lincoln now, little Tad, like other little boys. I am not a president's son now. I won't have many presents anymore. Well, I will try and be a good boy, and will hope to go someday to Pa and brother Willie, in Heaven."

RE: Who is this person? - LincolnToddFan - 06-20-2014 11:33 AM

Thanks Eva E..when I read that passage in Keckley's memoirs I almost cried. He became his mother's staunchest champion, saying at one point after they had returned from Europe " I do wish they would leave my mother alone" or something similar.

His father would have been proud of him.

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 06-30-2014 03:04 PM

Who is this gentleman?
[attachment=745]

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 06-30-2014 03:14 PM

Thomas Gales Foster?

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 06-30-2014 05:28 PM

Excellent guess, Roger, but not correct.
Hint #1: He was a doctor.

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 07-01-2014 12:41 AM

Hint #2: He was a childhood acquaintance of Mary's.

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 07-01-2014 05:03 AM

Dr. Lewis A. Sayre?