Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Who is this person? - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Who is this person? (/thread-240.html)

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 03-21-2014 07:20 AM

Excellent, Joe. Good job.

I have read various versions of the story. Here is one. In 1825 Abraham Lincoln borrowed a book from a neighbor named Josiah Crawford. It was titled "Life of Washington" by Parson Weems. Unfortunately Abe left the book inside the Lincolns' cabin near where there was a chink in the logs and an all-night rain had soaked the book. He then worked off its worth for Mr. Crawford.

RE: Who is this person? - Gene C - 03-21-2014 09:40 AM

Still availablefrom Barnes & Noble or Amazon. Prices vary quite a bit.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/parson-weems-life-of-washington?store=book&keyword=parson+weems+life+of+washington

RE: Who is this person? - L Verge - 03-21-2014 12:26 PM

I believe that Parson Weems was the one who started the legend of Washington chopping down the cherry tree? Or was it the one about tossing the coin across the Potomac?

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 03-21-2014 12:48 PM

Laurie, in Lincoln Legends: Myths, Hoaxes, and Confabulations Associated with Our Greatest President Ed Steers writes, "En route to his inauguration in 1861, he (Lincoln) told a special session of the New Jersey state senate at Trenton that he still harbored deeply ingrained memories of 'a small book' he had 'got hold of...away back in my childhood: Mason Locke Weems's Life of Washington. Parson Weems's best seller had all but invented the myths of Washington cutting down the cherry tree and lobbing a coin across the wide Potomac, but its strained credulity did not bother the president-elect trying to earn respect as he faced down a nation-threatening secession crisis."

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 03-22-2014 05:58 AM

Well then, who is this gentleman?
[attachment=514]

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 03-22-2014 04:19 PM

Hint #1: Think of a reptile.

RE: Who is this person? - L Verge - 03-22-2014 06:10 PM

Sorry, can't post the name of the one I'm thinking of.....

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 03-22-2014 06:40 PM

??? Why not? However, hint #2: Think of a species of that sort of reptile that tempted Eve.

Hint #3: Yet I have no PLAN about how to go on with this.

RE: Who is this person? - Rogerm - 03-23-2014 01:02 AM

Was there any person associated with Lincoln or the Civil War whose name was Cobra?

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 03-23-2014 06:02 AM

Thanks for your reply, Roger!! I really was not sure (had no PLAN) what to do. I thought one could see in the picture he was a GENERAL (much older st the time of the CW though - and before I had only seen pictures of him at older age. Also I thought SNAKE (not a cobra, another species) and PLAN would have revealed him.
Hint #4: He died in 1866.

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 03-23-2014 06:29 AM

Winfield Scott?

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 03-23-2014 06:43 AM

Very good, Roger, this is Winfield Scott. Thanks for guessing.

RE: Who is this person? - Gene C - 03-23-2014 08:50 AM

The snake was the Anaconda?

http://civilwardailygazette.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/anaconda.jpg

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 03-29-2014 07:55 AM

Who is this gentleman?
[attachment=525]

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 03-29-2014 08:34 AM

James A. Ekin?