Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Who is this person? - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Who is this person? (/thread-240.html)

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 11-02-2013 02:01 PM

Agreed, thanks Joe! As for Mme Patti:
On a trip to Chicago in 1853, Mr. Lincoln had heard singer Madame Patti in concert with the Swedish violinist Ole Bull. Later, she was once invited to sing at the White House, obviously shortly after Willie's death. On this website:
http://www.abrahamlincolnsclassroom.org/Library/newsletter.asp?ID=29&CRLI=109
...the following is told:
"When the erstwhile child prodigy came to the White House, Mrs. Lincoln told her,'I have wanted to see you; — to see the young girl who has done so much, who has set the whole world talking of her wonderful singing.'" Madame Patti accompanied herself on the piano while singing, 'The Last Rose of Summer.' She realized afterwards that she had "made an awkward choice.' Mary has "risen from her seat and was standing at a window in the back part of the room with her back toward me. I could not see her face but I knew she was weeping." Mr. Lincoln broke the tension by asking for "Home Sweet Home.' Madame Patti's accompanist "did not know the air, and Patti, who knew it, did not know the words, and had never sung them. Seeing her dilemma, 'the President rose from his seat, went quickly to a small stand at the foot of the piano, took from it a small music book, with a vivid green color, and placed it on the piano rack, opened to the music of Home, Sweet Home. Then he returned to his seat without a word and resumed his former posture. 'Well, I sang the song the very best I could do it,' Patti concluded,'and when Mr. Lincoln thanked me his voice was husky and his eyes were full of tears. By that time I was so wrought up over the situation myself that I was actually blubbering when we were taking leave of the recently bereaved parents.'"

Here is a recording of Mme Patti singing "Home Sweet Home", recorded in 1906:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ddLrCW5M6kE&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DddLrCW5M6kE
Adelina Patti was the greatest soprano of her day. Born in Madrid to Italian parents on Feb. 19, 1843, Adelina Patti was raised in New York and gave her first concert there at the age of seven. After Patti sang at Covent Garden, London, in 1845, her international career began. As a bel canto coloratura soprano she had no rival. Giuseppe Verdi (BTW, this year, Okt. 10, was his bicentennial!) thought she was the greatest singer he had ever heard.
In the video, you see her castle in the Upper Swansea Valley. She named it "Craig-y-Nos" - "the Rock of Night". There, this and other recordings were made by the Gramophone & Typewriter Co. When she heard her own voice, she commented: "Ah! My God! Now I understand why I am Patti! Yes, what a voice! What an artist! I understand all!" Mme. Patti died at Craig-y-Nos on Sept. 27, 1919.
(Oops, sorry for the long posting!)

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 11-02-2013 02:18 PM

Wow, what a remarkable voice! Thank you, Eva, for posting the link. That is a wonderful video!

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 11-08-2013 04:14 PM

This is a joint trivia question from Karin and me.

Recently Karin sent me a link to a page in which a lady is misidentified as Mary Lincoln. Between us, Karin and I did some research and have discovered the lady's correct name.

Who is the lady wrongly identified as Mary Lincoln in the first picture here?

RE: Who is this person? - Gene C - 11-08-2013 07:35 PM

Adele Douglas?

RE: Who is this person? - Jim Garrett - 11-08-2013 08:11 PM

It's Laurie.

RE: Who is this person? - L Verge - 11-08-2013 08:39 PM

(11-08-2013 08:11 PM)Jim Garrett Wrote:  It's Laurie.

I wish! However, she's deceased, and I'm not ready to be...

RE: Who is this person? - Gene C - 11-09-2013 12:09 AM

I've changed my mind, it's Harriet Lane
(thanks Karin)

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 11-09-2013 05:55 AM

Good job, Gene. That is Harriet Lane, James Buchanan's niece. She served in the role of First Lady in the Buchanan Administration.

You and Joy win one free night in the Lincoln Bedroom. Simply call the White House, tell them you got the Harriet Lane question right, and make your reservation.

(I see that website has already corrected the error - thank you, Karin)

RE: Who is this person? - irshgrl500 - 11-09-2013 10:38 AM

(11-09-2013 05:55 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Good job, Gene. That is Harriet Lane, James Buchanan's niece. She served in the role of First Lady in the Buchanan Administration.

You and Joy win one free night in the Lincoln Bedroom. Simply call the White House, tell them you got the Harriet Lane question right, and make your reservation.

(I see that website has already corrected the error - thank you, Karin)

Even though we know that Harriet Lane, is the person in the photo, I like Jim's answer.

Thank you, Roger for posting the question; I see that Schoolworkhelper.net has indeed, changed the photo.

Interesting about President Buchanan, I always thought that he did in fact marry, about a year or two, into his term. I knew he was the "Bachelor" President, (which, I think was a difficult task to manage, in getting elected. Jefferson was a widower but even today, a married man or woman, appears as a sign of being more "stable", to many people.) but I did not realize he never married.
Apparently, he was engaged to a woman from a wealthy family, Ann Coleman, and rumors were making their rounds that Buchanan was marrying her for her money, and that he was a possible philanderer. Ann gave in to these rumors, and broke off the engagement, and shortly thereafter, died, likely from an overdose of laudanum. Nobody is sure whether it was an accidental overdose or suicide.
Very sad, indeed.
http://www.americanheritage.com/content/lost-love-bachelor-president
Also, President Buchanan chose not to run for re-election, and subsequently, spent the rest of his life defending himself for the blame, many placed on him, for the civil war.
At 77, he caught a cold, which progressed, and he eventually died of respiratory failure.

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 11-09-2013 11:01 AM

Thanks, Karin. I also didn't realize there have been 3 ships named after Harriet Lane, including one still in service.

[Image: WMECHL.jpg]
USCGC HARRIET LANE

RE: Who is this person? - irshgrl500 - 11-09-2013 11:36 AM

(11-09-2013 11:01 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Thanks, Karin. I also didn't realize there have been 3 ships named after Harriet Lane, including one still in service.

[Image: WMECHL.jpg]
USCGC HARRIET LANE

That is impressive. I love US Military Ships.

"Listen to the Mocking Bird", apparently was dedicated to her. Also, when she served as First Lady, or Hostess in the White House, she LOWERED her dress neckline by 2.5". This, her hairstyle, and style in her dress caused many women to emulate her hair , and dress; mother's even named their daughters, Harriet.

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 11-09-2013 05:08 PM

Jim Garrett sent this image. Who is this man?

[Image: manimage601.jpg]

RE: Who is this person? - irshgrl500 - 11-09-2013 06:22 PM

(11-09-2013 05:08 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Jim Garrett sent this image. Who is this man?

[Image: manimage601.jpg]

William Rufus King?

RE: Who is this person? - Jim Garrett - 11-09-2013 07:30 PM

Excellent, Yes it is. Vice President for a very short time under Franklin Pierce and long time roomy of James Buchannan. He died in 1853 and would probably have been the unofficial hostess of the White House.

RE: Who is this person? - Rob Wick - 11-09-2013 08:18 PM

Name one of these two children.

[Image: gowf.jpg]

Best
Rob