Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Who is this person? - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Who is this person? (/thread-240.html)

RE: Who is this person? - Anita - 09-22-2013 10:59 AM

Excellent Roger.

Your prize: one of Mary Lincoln's white almond cakes, baked by Mary.

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 09-22-2013 02:16 PM

(09-08-2013 01:11 AM)Rogerm Wrote:  Thank you Eva, Laurie and Betty for your recommendation. If I could afford them and had the ability to prepare them, I would gladly eat them both!! lol
Roger, I just found an appetizer for you:
[attachment=228]
PS: It's a Roman snail (or: vineyard snail, Helix Pomatia), wich is frequently used in the French cuisine.

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 09-22-2013 02:56 PM

Anita, thank you for the cake, and Eva, thank you for the escargot. This will give me an opportunity to remind folks that the recipe for Mary Lincoln's white almond cake is in forum member Donna McCreary's book entitled Lincoln's Table.

RE: Who is this person? - Anita - 09-22-2013 03:38 PM

Roger, you are most welcome. One can win an entire meal for the mind on this forum.

For the escargot lovers, Calif. is teaming with snails. Yes, the local common garden snail is the European brown and yellow striped garden snail -- Helix aspersa. They were imported here in the early 1850s by a Frenchman who intended to sell them as food, but the market here during the Gold Rush was too unsophisticated for snails. He ended up dumping some snails, and another collection escaped.

People here catch them and purge them on cornmeal for a few days to rid them of snail bait.

RE: Who is this person? - Anita - 09-29-2013 06:52 PM

Who are they?

[attachment=235]

RE: Who is this person? - Rob Wick - 09-29-2013 07:04 PM

Ogarita Booth Henderson and Izola Forrester?

Best
Rob

RE: Who is this person? - Anita - 09-29-2013 07:27 PM

Good guess Rob but not these ladies.

Hint # 1. They are mother and daughter.

Hint # 2. Husband/father is a famous civil war military man.

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 09-29-2013 07:48 PM

Julia and Nellie Grant?

RE: Who is this person? - J. Beckert - 09-29-2013 08:11 PM

General Sherman's wife and daughter?

RE: Who is this person? - Anita - 09-29-2013 08:20 PM

Eva and J. Beckert- You have the right idea but you need to go South.

RE: Who is this person? - Rob Wick - 09-29-2013 08:48 PM

The widow and daughter of Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson.

Best
Rob

RE: Who is this person? - Anita - 09-29-2013 09:15 PM

Yes, Rob! They are Mary Anna Morrison Jackson and Julia Jackson.
Here's a photo when they were younger.
[attachment=236]

You win my mom's favorite: black eyed peas, corn bread and scallions with a glass of buttermilk. A good ole southern Georgia dish.

RE: Who is this person? - L Verge - 09-30-2013 12:13 PM

If I remember correctly, Julia was just about a month old when Stonewall saw his daughter for the first and last time. He died shortly thereafter.

RE: Who is this person? - Anita - 09-30-2013 01:09 PM

Laurie, Yes, baby Julia was just a few months old when he saw her for the first time. But he did see his wife and baby again after he was wounded and dying. He was wounded May 2, '63 and they arrived May7.

http://civilwarwomenblog.com/mary-anna-morrison-jackson/

During the winter encampment of 1862-63 General Jackson became a father for the third time. The first two children died during childbirth or shortly thereafter, so he was delighted to receive a letter announcing the birth of Julia Laura Jackson, on November 23, 1862. The baby was named for Jackson's mother and sister, and she was the only Jackson child to survive into adulthood. Anna and the baby visited Jackson in April 1863. Anna had not seen her husband for thirteen months, and she later wrote that their time together was all the more joyful because of the baby.

Anna and the baby arrived later that day. Just eight days earlier she had left him in robust health. Jackson had to be aroused to speak to her and soon nodded off again, but in the afternoon, he seemed better, and the doctors had hope of his recovery. But Anna later said that he lay most of the time in a semiconscious state.

On May 10, the general was unconscious all morning. Later, he brightened a bit. Anna brought five-month-old Julia into the room and placed her on the bed. The general's face lit up with a smile, and said, "Little darling sweet one," then fell back into unconsciousness. The doctors lost all hope of Jackson's recovery. Anna later wrote, "Tears were shed over that dying bed by strong men who were unused to weep."

RE: Who is this person? - Rob Wick - 10-07-2013 12:50 PM

Who is this woman? I'll even give you a hint. She never met Lincoln, but she knew a great deal about him.

[Image: 6uif.jpg]

Best
Rob