Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Who is this person? - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Who is this person? (/thread-240.html)

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 09-18-2013 09:21 AM

A wonderful guess, Roger, but it was not Carl Sandburg.

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 09-18-2013 09:49 AM

Well, I've three names in mind.
#1: David Donald?

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 09-18-2013 10:24 AM

Also a wonderful guess, Eva, but it wasn't him either.

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 09-18-2013 10:28 AM

Philip Paludan?

I withdraw the last guess, one of the Kunhardts?

RE: Who is this person? - Rogerm - 09-18-2013 10:46 AM

Was it the actor, Raymond Massey?

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 09-18-2013 11:02 AM

I am sorry...good tries!....but the Lincoln speaker who went to Asia in 1959 was not Paludan, one of the Kunhardts, or Massey.

Hint #1: He once worked as a librarian.

RE: Who is this person? - Anita - 09-18-2013 12:38 PM

Is it Richard N. Current ?

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 09-18-2013 01:45 PM

Yet another wonderful guess, Anita, but it wasn't him.

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 09-18-2013 04:25 PM

Hint #2: This gentleman spoke about Lincoln in several countries while in Asia. Included were stops in Thailand for two weeks and Indonesia for 10 days. Prior to departing the USA he prepared 20 different speeches on various aspects of Lincoln's life.

RE: Who is this person? - Rob Wick - 09-18-2013 06:02 PM

R. Gerald McMurtry.

Best
Rob

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 09-19-2013 05:23 AM

Excellent, Rob. Indeed it was R. Gerald McMurtry who made this speaking trip to Asia in 1959. Among other things he was the editor of the Lincoln Herald from 1937-1956.
He had quite a career - there is information on him here. There is no prize for this other than my good wishes for your Ida Tarbell work.

Here is another poster from his speaking tour. This one announced his Lincoln speech in Hong Kong on October 9, 1959.

[Image: taiwan2.jpg]

RE: Who is this person? - Rob Wick - 09-19-2013 08:21 AM

Thanks Roger. I've got 14 pages of the sample chapter written, but of course it's only a first draft. I've stopped writing for a time because I found a website that is genealogical in nature but has a vast collection of newspapers digitized. I've found 7,727 articles on Tarbell and am going through those. While much of what I've found contains ads or otherwise uninteresting information I've found some interesting pieces, including some of the stories she wrote while an unknown living in Paris, many of which were not available in her papers and which I hadn't seen in any of her collected writings.

I knew the answer to this one when you talked about the Asia tour. I remember reading a brochure called the Lincoln Contacts of R. Gerald McMurtry which is available here. This is one of the few that I didn't Google. Wink

Best
Rob

RE: Who is this person? - Anita - 09-19-2013 12:12 PM

Roger, thanks for this post I just read the final report by the Lincoln Sesquicentennial Commission. I would have guessed your mystery person if you had given this last poster as a hint!

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 09-20-2013 07:34 AM

This scan came out poorly, but the source is just about as bad. Long ago Rob Wick commented how difficult Ida Tarbell's handwriting was to decipher. This is also quite the challenge.

This letter is dated April 16, 1865. It reads:

My Dear C

The funeral of the President is to be on Wednesday. Please come if you possibly can. Many Senators are in the city sincerely grieving at the national calamity caused by his death.

Whose handwriting is this?

[Image: handwriting101.jpg]

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 09-20-2013 12:17 PM

Hint #1: An actor played this man's role in The Conspirator.