Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Who is this person? - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Who is this person? (/thread-240.html)

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 11-23-2020 05:52 PM

Rob, Eva, Michael...

I am very sorry, but none of you has answered correctly. The lady was not an actress.

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 11-23-2020 05:58 PM

Hint #1: She has no connection to the assassination.

RE: Who is this person? - Anita - 11-23-2020 06:42 PM

Is she a President's wife or daughter?

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 11-23-2020 06:50 PM

Anita, she was not a President's wife or daughter. Her historical connection is to Lincoln but not as a family member.

RE: Who is this person? - Rob Wick - 11-23-2020 07:22 PM

Did she know Lincoln, or is the connection after his death?

Best
Rob

RE: Who is this person? - RobertLC - 11-23-2020 08:25 PM

Hi, Roger!

Is it Elizabeth Keckley?

Bob

RE: Who is this person? - Anita - 11-23-2020 08:45 PM

It's Grace Bidell !!

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 11-24-2020 05:53 AM

Thanks to everyone who guessed, and Anita is correct - it is Grace Bedell as an adult. I believe she has been mentioned before on the forum. Grace was an 11-year-old girl from Westfield, New York, who wrote the future President on October 15th, 1860, urging him to grow a beard.

https://www.kshs.org/kansapedia/grace-bedell/17779

The photo I used is not the most common one used in books; I thought this might be a challenge. Anita, you answered correctly more quickly than I thought would happen! Kudos!

RE: Who is this person? - Anita - 11-24-2020 11:54 AM

Thanks Roger. The clue was the hair style and dress. I figured it could be a woman who was much younger when she knew or met Lincoln.

I went on https://rogerjnorton.com/Lincoln50.html and the photos you posted there still left me in doubt. Took me a while to find your image.

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 12-11-2020 04:13 PM

No googling please.

What is the name of the person who is the source of the following words?

"Among the many accusations which in hours of ill-luck have been thrown out upon Lincoln, it is remarkable that he has never been called self-seeking, or selfish. When we were troubled and sat in darkness, and looked doubtfully towards the presidential chair, it was never that we doubted the goodwill of our pilot—only the clearness of his eyesight. But Almighty God has granted to him that clearness of vision which he gives to the true-hearted, and enabled him to set his honest foot in that promised land of freedom which is to be the patrimony of all men, black and white—and from henceforth nations shall rise up to call him blessed."

RE: Who is this person? - Rob Wick - 12-11-2020 04:55 PM

Wild guess. Frederick Douglass?

Best
Rob

RE: Who is this person? - Anita - 12-11-2020 05:06 PM

Frederick Douglas?

Hi Rob,

Slow internet connection. Didn't see your post.

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 12-12-2020 05:46 AM

Excellent guesses, Rob and Anita, but incorrect. The correct person met with Douglass on at least one occasion.

RE: Who is this person? - AussieMick - 12-12-2020 06:08 AM

Henry Ward Beecher ?

RE: Who is this person? - David Lockmiller - 12-12-2020 07:00 AM

Secretary of Navy Welles?