Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Who is this person? - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Who is this person? (/thread-240.html)

RE: Who is this person? - Rob Wick - 10-08-2019 01:02 PM

Sorry Gene, but it isn't Stalin. I don't remember ever reading Stalin's biography of Lincoln, but admittedly I haven't read them all. Smile

Best
Rob

RE: Who is this person? - Rob Wick - 10-08-2019 02:37 PM

By the time of his death, he had contributed 48,000 copies of books to three specific colleges, two of which had Lincoln connections.

Best
Rob

RE: Who is this person? - Rob Wick - 10-08-2019 05:26 PM

Things appear to be moving slowly here, so I'll give two clues.

Ida Tarbell said in a personal note that "One thing that interested me about [blank's] life is that he has reproduced a number of paintings of the period--pretty dreadful most of them--not the kind of thing you would want hanging about. [His] attitude towards them is very interesting. The truth is anything that concerns directly or indirectly with Lincoln while he was living is a matter of passionate importance to him. I have never seen quite such an interesting worshipper as [?]."

Second. He didn't begin his Lincoln studies until the age of 53 when he was asked to give a speech with only a few days notice. From that point to his death at 69, he was very prolific.

Best
Rob

RE: Who is this person? - Steve - 10-08-2019 06:02 PM

A painter? Frederick MacMonnies?

RE: Who is this person? - Rob Wick - 10-08-2019 06:32 PM

There is certainly a resemblance there, but it isn't MacMonnies.

Best
Rob

RE: Who is this person? - Rob Wick - 10-08-2019 11:22 PM

In one of the obituaries published about him, it was noted that Lewis Gannett, the editor of the New York Herald Tribune Book Review section, had written, "Not even Carl Sandburg's 'Prairie Years' is so evocative of the spirit of the village where Lincoln grew up... ." One imagines Sandburg might have demurred.

Best
Rob

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 10-09-2019 05:19 AM

Bernhardt Wall?

RE: Who is this person? - Rob Wick - 10-09-2019 10:26 AM

Sorry Roger, but it isn't Wall.

This clue should give it away. In the entire field of Lincolniana, the only person whose reputation was worse than him would be Wilma Minor.

Best
Rob

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 10-09-2019 01:36 PM

Emanuel Hertz?

RE: Who is this person? - Rob Wick - 10-09-2019 01:41 PM

You got it Roger. It is Hertz. Before this question I had known very little about Hertz the person, and this was an eye-opening experience for me. For example, in 1927, which was 13 years before his death in 1940, Hertz sold his Lincoln collection. None of the newspaper accounts say why he decided to sell, but he realized $46,604, which is almost $700,000 in today's money.

Best
Rob

RE: Who is this person? - AussieMick - 10-22-2019 07:13 PM

Who is this? Left click on the image to enlarge
[attachment=3146]

(hint: its not me)

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 10-22-2019 08:14 PM

Looks a bit like Karl Marx (but isn't he...)

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 10-22-2019 09:30 PM

Upon reconsideration - Walt Whitman?

RE: Who is this person? - Anita - 10-22-2019 10:24 PM

I agree with Eva,. Walt Whitman.

RE: Who is this person? - AussieMick - 10-23-2019 12:10 AM

no, sorry (and for being a bit slow ...... just returned from library) ... not Walt Whitman, nor Kmart.

Hint: He would (I'm sure) have loved the internet and have been an avid blogger.