Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Who is this person? - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Who is this person? (/thread-240.html)

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 09-06-2013 01:24 PM

Sorry, no. Hint#2: He was aboard the River Queen on the way back to Washington in April 1865.

RE: Who is this person? - Rogerm - 09-06-2013 02:43 PM

Is this the French aristocrat who visited Lincoln near the end of the Civil War and accompanied him to visit the Confederate peace commissioners?

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 09-06-2013 03:04 PM

Very good, Roger! He didn't accompany Lincoln from the beginning of the trip, he came with Mary when she returned again after her "flight" to Washington. So, what is his name? (Roger, that's one point for you anyway!)

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 09-07-2013 05:29 AM

Marquis de Chambrun?

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 09-07-2013 07:43 AM

That is correct Roger, very good. Before their departure on April, 8, Lincoln requested the military band not only to play "Dixie", but also the "Marseillaise" in honor of the Marquis and remarked the latter had to come all the way to America to hear the revolutionary song that was banned under the Second Empire.

You and Rogerm win a first class French dinner - look forward to dishes like "Escargots de Bourgogne" (snails baked in their shells with parsley butter) or "Cuisses de Grenouille à la Provençale" (sautéed frogs’ legs)!

RE: Who is this person? - L Verge - 09-07-2013 03:10 PM

To the two Rogers, I have had both dishes, and they are very tasty. Just close your mind to what you expect them to taste like. Betty and I have also enjoyed alligator tail thanks to Florida descendants of Lewie. I loved that!

RE: Who is this person? - BettyO - 09-07-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:You and Rogerm win a first class French dinner - look forward to dishes like "Escargots de Bourgogne" (snails baked in their shells with parsley butter) or "Cuisses de Grenouille à la Provençale" (sautéed frogs’ legs)!

I agree, Laurie! I've had both also. With the snail (Escargot) simply think "fresh sauteed, buttered mushrooms." I've also had frogs legs - great! A true Southern favorite....

Yes, the Powell family treated us to a Sunshine State delicacy - 'gator!' And it too is wonderful!

RE: Who is this person? - Rogerm - 09-08-2013 01:11 AM

Thank you Eva, Laurie and Betty for your recommendation. If I could afford them and had the ability to prepare them, I would gladly eat them both!! lol

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 09-08-2013 06:28 AM

Roger, the cheapest way - go out and catch them yourself. With the snails it should be easy (especially in fall), for the frogs you have to be a bit faster...and some frogs are extremely poisonous. To be honest, I couldn't kill anything bigger than a midge, and definitely no creature in whose eyes I could look (with one exception: to save them from suffering). Nevertheless I do eat fish and meat, and it troubles me sometimes that it's just possible because others do the killing.
However, I bet these are two of those dishes originally created by poor people who couldn't afford meat...

RE: Who is this person? - Joe Di Cola - 09-08-2013 08:33 AM

(09-08-2013 06:28 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Roger, the cheapest way - go out and catch them yourself. With the snails it should be easy (especially in fall), for the frogs you have to be a bit faster...and some frogs are extremely poisonous. To be honest, I couldn't kill anything bigger than a midge, and definitely no creature in whose eyes I could look (with one exception: to save them from suffering). Nevertheless I do eat fish and meat, and it troubles me sometimes that it's just possible because others do the killing.
However, I bet these are two of those dishes originally created by poor people who couldn't afford meat...

We have a cajun restaurant in Troy, Le Doux, and they served great frog legs. I get them whenever I dine there. I've loved them since I was a kid, which was only a few years ago. I used to be able to buy frog legs from the grocers, but have not seen them marketed for years. Escargot I occasionally make at home.

RE: Who is this person? - Anita - 09-12-2013 08:19 PM

Who is this lady?

[attachment=218]

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 09-12-2013 08:26 PM

Army nurse Rebecca Pomroy.

RE: Who is this person? - Anita - 09-12-2013 09:19 PM

Eva, I see I will have to enlarge my photo library.

Your prize- two dozen avocados from my tree in CA.

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 09-18-2013 06:54 AM

In 1959 (the Lincoln Sesquicentennial year) a well-known figure in the Lincoln world gave a few public lectures on Abraham Lincoln during a week's stay in Taiwan. Below is a printed poster informing the public of the lectures to be given on September 29 and September 30, 1959. Who was this person?

[Image: taiwan.jpg]

RE: Who is this person? - Rogerm - 09-18-2013 09:10 AM

Was it Carl Sandburg?