Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Who is this person? - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Who is this person? (/thread-240.html)

RE: Who is this person? - AussieMick - 08-27-2019 09:05 PM

Ok , I'll say it ... Abraham Lincoln? ... no, no. (quick 6 hours edit) ... I didnt read your previous hints.
So its obviously not himself.

I know that a man named Wallace 'competed' with Darwin. But I thought he was a Scot and theres no connection with Connecticut that I know of.

RE: Who is this person? - L Verge - 08-28-2019 12:18 PM

(08-27-2019 08:52 PM)Anita Wrote:  Laurie, not sure this fits all the clues. Is it Frederick Law Olmstead.? His son Frederick Law Olmstead, Jr. was hired by Frank Vanderlip to develop the master plan for the Palos Verdes Peninsula where I live in California. I'm a docent here and recall that Olmstead Sr. wrote on slavery and the South for the times.. I also lived near Central Park in NY.

All that said I still don't see his connection to yoeman. Have mercy!

Good going, Anita! You are absolutely correct. "Yeoman" was the pen name for Frederick Law Olmsted, Sr. when he was assigned to travel through the South (on several occasions) in the mid-1850s to assess for the readers of the New York Times what life was like for all classes in the South as it became fairly obvious that things were going to blow.

Olmsted was a moderate abolitionist with a love of nature, and his writings described scenery as well as culture and led to his new interest in lifting up all classes through democratic landscaping in parks, cemeteries, etc. that were open to all peoples to enjoy.

I am currently reading a wonderful book, the last one written by Tony Horwitz (Confederates in the Attic) before his sudden death a few months back. It is basically a biography of Olmsted and his southern travels, but Tony actually retraced the various routes that Olmsted had taken and has incorporated his modern-day views of the countryside, the people, the morals (or lack there of), and the death of some of the principles of American culture.

As in true Tony style, it makes you laugh, reminisce, and even cry over what has been lost as well as worry about what could still be lost without strong-minded people keeping traditions alive (such as Creole and Cajun in Louisiana). Needless to say, I highly recommend it -- and I have only read about 200 pages (yes, it's thick). I am also inspired to read The Cotton Kingdom, which was the book that Olmsted produced on his travels.

RE: Who is this person? - Anita - 08-28-2019 08:11 PM

Thanks Laurie for the learning experience tied to your question. I have great admiration for Olmstead's genius and look forward to reading about his travels around the South. Both books added to that never-ending list. Sorry this is a late reply.

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 09-13-2019 01:34 PM

This is the birthplace of a person who is sometimes identified with or connected to Abraham Lincoln. He is a well known 19th century figure.

Who is this person?

[Image: whosebirthplace.jpg]

RE: Who is this person? - Anita - 09-13-2019 05:14 PM

Walt Whitman. He was born on Long Island, NY near where I grew up.

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 09-14-2019 05:11 AM

Kudos, Anita! That is exactly right.

As far as I can tell, there is actually no evidence that Whitman ever met Lincoln in person.

https://www.longislandpress.com/2013/09/10/walt-whitmans-long-island-roots/

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 09-17-2019 07:35 AM

Who is this person?

[Image: Untitled250.jpg]

RE: Who is this person? - Gene C - 09-17-2019 10:11 AM

Her name is Peggy Sue, the love interest for one of the early rock and roll stars, Buddy Holly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfu_gfPBPWc&list=RDbfu_gfPBPWc&index=1

Or maybe it's Julia Taft, the older sister of a different Bud & Holly (Washington playmates of Willie and Tad)
She is also the author of Tad Lincoln's Father (a very good, must have book for your Lincoln Library)
https://www.amazon.com/Tad-Lincolns-Father-Abraham-Lincoln/dp/0803261918/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Tad+Lincoln%27s+Father&qid=1568729453&s=books&sr=1-1

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 09-17-2019 10:47 AM

(09-17-2019 10:11 AM)Gene C Wrote:  Her name is Peggy Sue, the love interest for one of the early rock and roll stars, Buddy Holly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfu_gfPBPWc&list=RDbfu_gfPBPWc&index=1

Or maybe it's Julia Taft, the older sister of a different Bud & Holly (Washington playmates of Willie and Tad)
She is also the author of Tad Lincoln's Father (a very good, must have book for your Lincoln Library)
https://www.amazon.com/Tad-Lincolns-Father-Abraham-Lincoln/dp/0803261918/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Tad+Lincoln%27s+Father&qid=1568729453&s=books&sr=1-1

You nailed it, Gene. Any idea whose question gave me the idea to post this photo?
(Vicki and I saw the Buddy Holly movie many years ago and loved it.)

RE: Who is this person? - Rob Wick - 09-23-2019 08:48 PM

Without Mr. Google's help, this person isn't known for writing anything about Lincoln per se, yet he does have a couple of connections to Lincoln studies. Who is he?

[Image: YJEphDI.jpg?1]

Best
Rob

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 09-24-2019 04:47 AM

Getting old - I have forgotten what Adlai Stevenson looked like, so I shall guess him.

RE: Who is this person? - Rob Wick - 09-24-2019 11:24 AM

Roger,

I assume you mean this one and not the failed two-time Democractic nominee who was governor of Illinois and later U.N. ambassador under John F. Kennedy?

[Image: QN6PK7K.jpg?1]

I have to say there is a strong resemblance, but it isn't him.

Clue: This gentleman was a native of the East Coast.

Best
Rob

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 09-24-2019 12:24 PM

Actually I did mean Adlai Stevenson II; I just had no recall of what he looked like. It was simply a wild guess. You're right - the resemblance to Adlai Stevenson (grandfather of Adlai Stevenson II) is apparent.

RE: Who is this person? - AussieMick - 09-24-2019 05:17 PM

An artist? ( looks to be a self-portrait)

RE: Who is this person? - Rob Wick - 09-24-2019 07:42 PM

Good guess, Mike, but he isn't an artist. He is a historian. In fact, that is the next clue.

Best
Rob