Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Who is this person? - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Who is this person? (/thread-240.html)

RE: Who is this person? - Rob Wick - 08-25-2019 01:03 PM

Sorry Roger, but it isn't her. Next clue. She met her husband while working on a major Lincoln project.

Best
Rob

RE: Who is this person? - Joe Di Cola - 08-25-2019 03:36 PM

Mrs. Harry Pratt

My copy of THE PERSONAL FINANCES OF ABRAHAM LINCOLN is the copy that Harry personally dedicated to his wife. I was fortunate to find it in a bookstore!

RE: Who is this person? - Rob Wick - 08-25-2019 05:56 PM

Joe nailed it. It was Marion Bonzi Pratt. She met Harry when both were working on the Collected Works project. Here is their tombstone.

[Image: fpJBQEW.jpg?5]

Best
Rob

RE: Who is this person? - L Verge - 08-25-2019 06:57 PM

Next: Keep your finger off your browser and tell me who Yeoman was.

RE: Who is this person? - Anita - 08-25-2019 07:41 PM

(08-25-2019 05:56 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  Joe nailed it. It was Marion Bonzi Pratt. She met Harry when both were working on the Collected Works project. Here is their tombstone.

[Image: fpJBQEW.jpg?5]

Best
Rob

Great question Rob and two kudos to Joe, one for the right answer and one for a great find on the Pratt book. Have to put this grave site on the Springfield tour!

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 08-26-2019 05:04 AM

(08-25-2019 06:57 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Next: Keep your finger off your browser and tell me who Yeoman was.

The name of the very first man or woman who did a great job at some endeavor?

RE: Who is this person? - L Verge - 08-26-2019 09:59 AM

Good guess, but Yeoman is a pseudonym for a specific person.

RE: Who is this person? - AussieMick - 08-26-2019 05:35 PM

Someone connected to letter-writing and the Springfield years?

RE: Who is this person? - Anita - 08-26-2019 06:42 PM

My husband served in the Navy and says a yeoman is a clerical chief petty officer. Is this a person in the Navy during the Civil War?

RE: Who is this person? - L Verge - 08-26-2019 08:33 PM

(08-26-2019 05:35 PM)AussieMick Wrote:  Someone connected to letter-writing and the Springfield years?

Letter writing and journalistic contributions are correct, but not sure about connection to Lincoln in Springfield, even though of that era.

(08-26-2019 06:42 PM)Anita Wrote:  My husband served in the Navy and says a yeoman is a clerical chief petty officer. Is this a person in the Navy during the Civil War?

Yeoman did travel a bit, but in Europe and the U.S., not in the Navy per se -- but did use ships and boats in parts of his travels.

Hint: Best known for contributions to the land, not water.

RE: Who is this person? - Gene C - 08-27-2019 07:03 AM

I think you may have spelled it wrong. It's not Yoeman, it's Yo - Man!

Is it the stage name for the performer (whose real name is Benjamin McClane) who did the Lincoln Rap, below?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYm1r7fh-38

RE: Who is this person? - L Verge - 08-27-2019 09:40 AM

(08-27-2019 07:03 AM)Gene C Wrote:  I think you may have spelled it wrong. It's not Yoeman, it's Yo - Man!

Is it the stage name for the performer (whose real name is Benjamin McClane) who did the Lincoln Rap, below?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYm1r7fh-38

Very cute guess, Gene, but just as bad as that rapper...

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 08-27-2019 02:51 PM

Does it have to do with "early" Lincoln or one of his speeches? I think I looked that term up long ago and it had to do with agriculture or views/politics dealing therewith. (Andrew Jackson?)

RE: Who is this person? - L Verge - 08-27-2019 08:03 PM

This man did not have direct ties to Lincoln that I am aware of, but his beginning interests were definitely in the field of agriculture.

Hints: Connecticut Yankee, friends with and agreed with Charles Darwin, given major journalistic assignment by the new New York Times.

RE: Who is this person? - Anita - 08-27-2019 08:52 PM

Laurie, not sure this fits all the clues. Is it Frederick Law Olmstead.? His son Frederick Law Olmstead, Jr. was hired by Frank Vanderlip to develop the master plan for the Palos Verdes Peninsula where I live in California. I'm a docent here and recall that Olmstead Sr. wrote on slavery and the South for the times.. I also lived near Central Park in NY.

All that said I still don't see his connection to yoeman. Have mercy!