Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Who is this person? - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Who is this person? (/thread-240.html)

RE: Who is this person? - AussieMick - 03-31-2019 05:24 AM

Correct, Roger. This gentleman is not a New Salem type.
There is no certainty that he ever met Lincoln (although there is a suggestion that he did).
The connection occurred after New Salem but before Lincoln married.

Now, I need to say that there is also an indirect connection to Abraham Lincoln through another person to this gentleman. The event which caused that indirect connection occurred early in Lincoln's life.

Sorry if that confuses you ... it could of course help ... it wouldnt be fair if I omitted this information.

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 03-31-2019 05:49 AM

During the time frame you mentioned Lincoln suffered a severe bout of depression. One thing he did was to write to a well-known doctor named Dr. Daniel Drake. I think it's unknown if he ever met Drake in person, although Drake apparently suggested (in a return letter) to Lincoln that the two men get together. So I shall guess Dr. Daniel Drake.

RE: Who is this person? - AussieMick - 03-31-2019 06:12 AM

(03-31-2019 05:49 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  During the time frame you mentioned Lincoln suffered a severe bout of depression. One thing he did was to write to a well-known doctor named Dr. Daniel Drake. I think it's unknown if he ever met Drake in person, although Drake apparently suggested (in a return letter) to Lincoln that the two men get together. So I shall guess Dr. Daniel Drake.

You got it, Roger. Well done. The others have not even opened their eyes yet.
Dr Drake it was .

Now would you like to try to explain the 'other' connection through another person?

It began with an event that happened early in Lincoln's life.

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 03-31-2019 06:31 AM

Michael, let me think on that. Right now my mind is blank.

RE: Who is this person? - AussieMick - 03-31-2019 03:22 PM

Ok, when I said early in Lincoln's life ... I meant very early.

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 03-31-2019 03:29 PM

Does it have anything to do with Peggy Walters, the "granny woman?"

RE: Who is this person? - AussieMick - 03-31-2019 03:35 PM

You are very warm, Roger. But no , not that woman ... not Peggy.

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 03-31-2019 05:46 PM

I am clueless. Nancy Hanks now seems like the logical answer, but I do not know of a connection to Drake.

RE: Who is this person? - AussieMick - 03-31-2019 05:56 PM

Yes, thats the one.
Drake (hopefully ! I have the correct Dr Drake) wrote a paper on milk sickness.
http://www.appalachianhistory.net/2019/02/the-curse-of-milk-sickness-part-1-of-2.html

"Notices concerning Cincinnati" (1810) by Daniel Drake , referred to in Farmers Bulletin:
https://archive.org/stream/CAT87204602/farmbul1593_djvu.txt

While it is stated that the disease existed in North Carolina prior
to 1776, the first published statement was by Dr. Daniel Drake, a distin-
guished physician of Ohio, 2 in 1810, who gave the symptoms in some
detail. These symptoms included lassitude, pains in the legs, loss of
appetite, obstinate constipation, vomiting, and a breath " peculiarly
disgusting and even loathsome." He stated that the disease affected
both sexes and all ages, and sometimes continued for months, and that
patients after recovery are liable to recurrences. He said that it
occurred in " aguish " situations, and that since its appearance inter-
mittent diseases declined. (It seems possible that the diagnosis of
trembles or milk sickness as distinct from malarial disease may have
resulted in an apparent diminution of " intermittent diseases.")

strangely, Wikipedia reference for Dr. Daniel Drake doesnt mention the milk sickness study.

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 04-01-2019 05:03 AM

Michael, I thought you might be interested in Dr. Ed Steers' take on Nancy Hanks Lincoln's death. Although milk sickness is listed as the cause in nearly every book I have, Ed has a different theory. Please see his post here.

RE: Who is this person? - AussieMick - 04-01-2019 08:04 AM

Thanks for that. I see you mentioned Dr Drake in those posts. I wonder if Lincoln was aware of the work that the doctor had done on milk sickness ...

I also have some comments on Lincoln and his depression and his letter to the doctor... I'll start another thread. After I've slept and been swimming and Book club tomorrow.

RE: Who is this person? - L Verge - 04-01-2019 04:14 PM

(04-01-2019 08:04 AM)AussieMick Wrote:  Thanks for that. I see you mentioned Dr Drake in those posts. I wonder if Lincoln was aware of the work that the doctor had done on milk sickness ...

I also have some comments on Lincoln and his depression and his letter to the doctor... I'll start another thread. After I've slept and been swimming and Book club tomorrow.

You retirees lead such a hectic life.

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 04-25-2019 04:58 AM

We all know that the stories of the youthful Lincoln's strength are true and never embellished.

Who is the person that said he saw Lincoln lift a box full of stones that weighed between 1,000 and 1,300 pounds?

RE: Who is this person? - AussieMick - 04-25-2019 07:17 AM

Denton Offutt ? (his boasting supposedly caused the fight with Jack Armstrong but I havent read of the box of stones)

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 04-25-2019 08:32 AM

Excellent and very logical guess, Michael, but it was not Offutt.