Lincoln Discussion Symposium
What are you reading now? - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Books - over 15,000 to discuss (/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: What are you reading now? (/thread-23.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

RE: What are you reading now? - GARY POPOLO - 11-27-2012 11:16 AM

(11-27-2012 06:50 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  I second Gary. In fact I own 3 copies of Dr. Lattimer's book. It is a terrific resource to have on the shelves.
RJ Would you believe I bought the book for $1.00. Also the book is in excellent condition. Sometimes good things happen when you least expect. If I didnot have to wait to pickup tickets I would have never gone into that store! Have a good day!

RE: What are you reading now? - LincolnMan - 11-27-2012 11:45 AM

Lattimer's book is one that I return to frequently-nothing like it that I'm aware of. Is it now getting harder to find out there?

RE: What are you reading now? - Laurie Verge - 11-27-2012 12:16 PM

I have no idea what happened to the remainder of Dr. Lattimer's books when he passed away several years ago. I believe he had purchased the publisher's remainders when it went out of print, and Surratt House had some to sell for awhile.

I just went on Amazon, and they are offering some "New" for nearly $140. They also have used for as little as $8. Go figure.

RE: What are you reading now? - LincolnMan - 11-27-2012 05:23 PM

Maybe the soft-back version cheaper?

RE: What are you reading now? - Gene C - 11-27-2012 05:32 PM

I am frequently surprised how on Amazon you can purchase a good quality used hardback book for less than a paperback reprint. Sometimes even an unused hardback is less expensive than the softbound.

I recently purchased a book on Amazon and the shipping was more than the cost of the book. (Love it!)

RE: What are you reading now? - GARY POPOLO - 11-27-2012 10:27 PM

I guess I was lucky to have purchased my copy of Dr. Lattimer's book when I did and at the great price of one dollar! Thank you all for telling me about Dr. Lattimer and value of his work. I will enjoy his book even more!

RE: What are you reading now? - Craig Hipkins - 11-27-2012 11:41 PM

I probably refer to Dr. Lattimer's book more than any other book in my Lincoln Assassination library. I can't even remember how much I paid for it, but I think it was around $10 on amazon a few years ago.

Craig

RE: What are you reading now? - RJNorton - 11-28-2012 06:06 AM

As I said, I own three copies of Dr. Lattimer's book. I checked the first one and found I paid $34.95 for it an an antiquarian bookstore in St. Petersburg, FL. This would have been in the mid-1990's. After seeing what you folks paid I am not even looking at the other two!

RE: What are you reading now? - Jim Page - 11-28-2012 11:20 AM

Roger, was that St. Pete antiquarian bookstore Haslem's? It's where much of my spare money went back when I worked in St. Pete and drove past it every day!

--Jim

RE: What are you reading now? - RJNorton - 11-28-2012 02:47 PM

Jim, small world! Indeed it was - that place is huge! Additionally, years ago, we used to drive up to St. Pete for the Annual Florida Antiquarian Book Fair. In all, I probably have 25-30 books in our den that came from St. Pete.

RE: What are you reading now? - Jim Page - 11-28-2012 03:19 PM

(11-28-2012 02:47 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Indeed it was - that place is huge!

Not only was Haslem's huge-- an entire city block-- but the staff there was so helpful. At that time, I was trying to make a living as a writer, and they found so many obscure books for me that I had failed to find anywhere else.

Do you recall what happened to the original owners, Mr. and Mrs. Haslem? It was terrible. Several of the Haslem children worked in the store and had treated their parents to a safari to Africa for their 50th wedding anniversary, if I remember it all correctly. The old couple caught some hideous disease there and died!

Awful!

Roger, do you live anywhere near Naples? I seem to remember you saying in a post that you were going to dinner on Captiva or Sanibel Island. I grew up in Naples and my brother still lives there. He was the EMS director for Collier County for many years and recently retired.

--Jim

RE: What are you reading now? - RJNorton - 11-28-2012 03:29 PM

Yes, Jim. We are natives of the Chicago area, but we've lived in Ft. Myers since 1995. We are roughly about a 90 minute drive from Everglades City which you and Rich Smyth have mentioned in the assassination trivia section. One of the highlights of our life is driving to Everglades City to eat grouper at the historic Rod and Gun Club Hotel. However, we avoid going there in the summers.

(I did not know about the tragedy you mentioned. Very sad.)

RE: What are you reading now? - DanielC - 12-01-2012 09:47 AM

About a year or so ago I read the book " The State of Jones" by Sally Jenkins and John Stauffer. If anybody has read it, I would love their opinion. If anybody on the board lives in Mississippi I'd love your insight as to your thoughts on Newton Knight.

Best,

RE: What are you reading now? - L Verge - 12-01-2012 12:03 PM

One of my volunteers passed that book along to me, but I never took the opportunity to read it. I believe I put it on the used book table for sale at Surratt House. Can you tell us the story line?

RE: What are you reading now? - DanielC - 12-01-2012 01:20 PM

Hi Laurie,

I've attached a review of the book, as it summarizes the storyline much better than I could.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/16/books/review/Reynolds-t.html

Best,