Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Booth arrested in Buffalo,NY - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Other (/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Booth arrested in Buffalo,NY (/thread-216.html)

Booth arrested in Buffalo,NY - HerbS - 08-13-2012 07:55 PM

While Booth was performing in Buffalo,NY before the Assassination.He was walking down the street and came upon a store that had Confederate Artifacts in the window.He became enraged and smashed the window with his cane.He was quickly arrested and fined $50.

RE: Booth arrested in Buffalo,NY - LincolnMan - 08-13-2012 10:47 PM

Herb: I never heard this. Is this from a book? Which one?

RE: Booth arrested in Buffalo,NY - Gene C - 08-14-2012 07:06 AM

Thats a pretty steep fine. $50 was a lot of money back then.

RE: Booth arrested in Buffalo,NY - RJNorton - 08-14-2012 07:30 AM

I used the calculator Dan Pearson posted in the Trivia section. If I did things correctly, that would amount to about $1,400 in 2012 dollars.

RE: Booth arrested in Buffalo,NY - LincolnMan - 08-14-2012 07:43 AM

Yes, steep fine!

RE: Booth arrested in Buffalo,NY - HerbS - 08-14-2012 08:58 AM

Bill,I got this from the Buffalo Historical Society and researched it from the Buffalo newspapers of that time! The Irony is that a Buffalo TV Reporter gave me a tip,because he was researching"Jack The Ripper"[Francis Tumblety] who is burried in Rochester and he had contact with Booth.

RE: Booth arrested in Buffalo,NY - LincolnMan - 08-14-2012 09:05 AM

Herb: that is a fascinating tid-bit in the Booth story. Anyone else ever heard of this? It demonstrates again how angry he was with the situation. Remember how upset he was when he saw the Confederate soldiers in Washington? He made a comment to the effect that he had no more country. Do you know when the arrest took place?

RE: Booth arrested in Buffalo,NY - HerbS - 08-14-2012 09:43 AM

Bill,Booth had to be a "wack-job"! I read in the Rochester newspapers that his mistress[Harriet Irving]beat him up.In Albany,she stabbed him!--Too bad he lived!

RE: Booth arrested in Buffalo,NY - LincolnMan - 08-14-2012 10:22 AM

I think I remember that he retained a scar from that stabbing. Was that not one of the identifying marks on the corpse to verify that it was Booth?

RE: Booth arrested in Buffalo,NY - Gene C - 09-08-2014 07:50 AM

(08-14-2012 08:58 AM)HerbS Wrote:  Bill,I got this from the Buffalo Historical Society and researched it from the Buffalo newspapers of that time! The Irony is that a Buffalo TV Reporter gave me a tip,because he was researching"Jack The Ripper"[Francis Tumblety] who is burried in Rochester and he had contact with Booth.

Speaking of Jack, here are two recent news articles about his identity. Seems Dr Tumblety's reputation is still intact,

http://www.fox5vegas.com/story/26469724/identity-of-jack-the-ripper-allegedly-made-through-dna-testing

http://www.inquisitr.com/1459498/jack-the-ripper-identity-doubt/

Is he or isn't he? Huh The mystery continues.

RE: Booth arrested in Buffalo,NY - HerbS - 09-08-2014 11:06 AM

The mystery continues!