Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Jefferson Davis - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Books - over 15,000 to discuss (/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Jefferson Davis (/thread-2141.html)

Jefferson Davis - L Verge - 01-23-2015 01:47 PM

I know that James McPherson has penned a new biography on Jefferson Davis that I will be reading soon, but I also received a complimentary copy of a new work on Mr. Davis by John Stewart - Jefferson Davis's Flight From Richmond: The Calm Morning, Lee's Telegrams, the Evacuation, the Train, the Passengers, the Trip, the Arrival in Danville, and the Historians' Frauds.

If that subtitle doesn't say it all, I don't know what could be added...
Skimming through, it looks good and certainly has enough sources cited.

RE: Jefferson Davis - Jane Singer - 01-24-2015 03:14 PM

(01-23-2015 01:47 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I know that James McPherson has penned a new biography on Jefferson Davis that I will be reading soon, but I also received a complimentary copy of a new work on Mr. Davis by John Stewart - Jefferson Davis's Flight From Richmond: The Calm Morning, Lee's Telegrams, the Evacuation, the Train, the Passengers, the Trip, the Arrival in Danville, and the Historians' Frauds.

If that subtitle doesn't say it all, I don't know what could be added...
Skimming through, it looks good and certainly has enough sources cited.

Just to add a bit to Laurie's mention of John Stewart's book: though I helped him gather some research and was privy to many of his "eurekas," I'm just now reading the book. It is a master class in how often the words of many historians and authors are derivative, misunderstood, and sadly, confabulated. John has done us all a service as he covers in minute detail a forty-eight hour period that took the Confederate government into an uncertain darkness. Sources abound!

RE: Jefferson Davis - LincolnMan - 02-22-2015 10:56 AM

Wonder what some of the historian's frauds are? The book sounds excellent.