Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Trivia Advent Calendar - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Trivia Advent Calendar (/thread-2060.html)

RE: Trivia Advent Calendar - Gene C - 12-04-2016 05:22 PM

(12-04-2016 02:16 PM)Thomas Kearney Wrote:  They have chocolate advent calendars in the states. When I was 8, I refused to leave Toys R Us until I got one.

How did you get home?
Tongue

RE: Trivia Advent Calendar - Thomas Kearney - 12-04-2016 05:26 PM

I stood in the aisle until my parents came with the Lego one. They were in the store with me the entire time.

RE: Trivia Advent Calendar - J. Beckert - 12-05-2016 09:03 AM

Welcome back to day 5 of the Trivia Advent Calendar fun! While Eva is busy wooing the Bundestag this week, I'll be filling in.

I just love going to museums. Don't you? And every-time I do, I try and turn it into a "living history" experience. Which for me means - touching their historical stuff. It's usually frowned upon, but why should they bogart all the cool stuff they have? Cordoned off areas, chains and "Alarm will sound" signs mean nothing to me in my pursuit of connecting, on a personal level, with historical things. This is why I'm banned from any future tours at the Surratt Tavern without a chaperone, a leash and a shock collar, but it gives me an immense, intrinsic satisfaction. Today's installment highlights one of my many achievements.

Take a look and see if you can figure out what it is and where I violated decorum to get this shot.[attachment=2466]

RE: Trivia Advent Calendar - RJNorton - 12-05-2016 09:19 AM

In the past you have posted that you have been to Hildene, so I will ask if you can tell us if this is from Hildene?

RE: Trivia Advent Calendar - Eva Elisabeth - 12-05-2016 09:41 AM

As for the "what" - black painted wood, carved rose decor - a mourning picture frame?

RE: Trivia Advent Calendar - J. Beckert - 12-05-2016 09:55 AM

Roger - yes
Eva - no

RE: Trivia Advent Calendar - Eva Elisabeth - 12-05-2016 10:53 AM

No in all points? (No black painted wood, no carved rose? No frame of any other kind?)
Looks like it's lying on a mattress. Is that where one would usually find the item?

RE: Trivia Advent Calendar - J. Beckert - 12-05-2016 11:02 AM

Sorry, Eva. It is carved wood and it does appear to be a rose design. Can't say if it is painted black, but it looks black. That's a pretty close shot. It is where it would be easily seen. Or touched, if you will.

RE: Trivia Advent Calendar - RJNorton - 12-05-2016 11:10 AM

Astronomy was a lifelong interest of Robert T. Lincoln. Is it related to this?

RE: Trivia Advent Calendar - Thomas Kearney - 12-05-2016 11:17 AM

It's the top of a rocking chair.

RE: Trivia Advent Calendar - Eva Elisabeth - 12-05-2016 11:18 AM

Thanks, Joe - still I wonder - is it a frame? Or - what about the mattress - somehow a bed-related item?
(12-05-2016 11:02 AM)J. Beckert Wrote:  It is where it would be easily seen. Or touched, if you will.

RE: Trivia Advent Calendar - J. Beckert - 12-05-2016 11:28 AM

Sorry, Roger. It's not related to astonomy.

It's not a rocking chair, Thomas, but it is a piece of furniture.

Eva - it's not a mattress or bed. Technically not a "frame" in the picture frame sense, but it is a border.

RE: Trivia Advent Calendar - Thomas Kearney - 12-05-2016 11:30 AM

A sofa

RE: Trivia Advent Calendar - RJNorton - 12-05-2016 11:54 AM

Is it (whatever it is) from this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9qWSDjwXxY

RE: Trivia Advent Calendar - L Verge - 12-05-2016 12:32 PM

To parrot Thomas (who has a habit of doing that to others), the back ornamentation of the sofa - or a chair - in the parlor or study at Hildene?