Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Oddities of the Lincoln assassination - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Assassination (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Oddities of the Lincoln assassination (/thread-2027.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Oddities of the Lincoln assassination - HerbS - 11-25-2014 07:15 PM

Very slim indeed!

RE: Oddities of the Lincoln assassination - RJNorton - 11-26-2014 06:39 AM

(11-25-2014 06:26 PM)Warren Wrote:  Oddity- that RTL was present or very near by three presidential assassinations.

In The Last Lincolns: The Rise and Fall of a Great American Family by Charles Lachman the author writes about the years following the McKinley assassination:

Lincoln thought he was cursed, and let it be known from then on he would no longer appear at any presidential function....Several years later Lincoln was invited to have lunch at the White House. He respectfully declined. In private correspondence he acknowledged his presence had spelled doom for three presidents. "If only they knew they wouldn't want me there," he said of the White House invitation. Still later, Lincoln, as a gray eminence of the Republican Party, was asked if he would attend an event at which the president would be present. "No, I am not going and they'd better not invite me," he said, "because there is a certain fatality about presidential functions when I am present." Robert vowed never to set foot in the White House again.

RE: Oddities of the Lincoln assassination - HerbS - 11-26-2014 08:14 AM

I would feel cursed also.

RE: Oddities of the Lincoln assassination - L Verge - 11-26-2014 12:48 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed this book by Mr. Lachman, and he was also an excellent speaker at one of the Surratt conferences a few years ago.

RE: Oddities of the Lincoln assassination - Eva Elisabeth - 11-26-2014 01:09 PM

(11-26-2014 12:48 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I thoroughly enjoyed this book by Mr. Lachman, and he was also an excellent speaker at one of the Surratt conferences a few years ago.
Good - I received it just yesterday! I ordered it because Toia recommend it once. Just from thumbing through it it looks very promising!

RE: Oddities of the Lincoln assassination - LincolnToddFan - 11-26-2014 01:29 PM

Yayyy!! Eva E. please let me know what you think after you have completed it!

RE: Oddities of the Lincoln assassination - SSlater - 11-26-2014 11:59 PM

I just remembered a really amazing oddity.
ALONZO DAVIS, son of Capt. SAMUEL BOYER DAVIS -a confederate spy who was convicted of spying, but whose life was spared by ABRAHAM LINCOLN, married CAROLINE CALVERT STUART the daughter of DR. RICHARD H. STUART who was a confederate agent who assisted JOHN WILKES BOOTH escape through king George County, after he killed ABRAHAM LINCOLN.

RE: Oddities of the Lincoln assassination - HerbS - 11-27-2014 08:06 AM

My sister in law is a Calvert! Do you have any information you can share on the Calvert's?Please be nice to the Calverts!

RE: Oddities of the Lincoln assassination - SSlater - 11-27-2014 10:59 PM

(11-27-2014 08:06 AM)HerbS Wrote:  My sister in law is a Calvert! Do you have any information you can share on the Calvert's?Please be nice to the Calverts!
"

There is a bundle of info on Google -under "The Calverts of Maryland."
I stumbled into the Davis/Stuart tie when I researched Samuel Boyer Davis and I found the Alonzo marriage to Caroline Calvert Stuart.

Samuel B. Davis was one of the Confederate Agents sent to Richmond to get "Papers" for the St. Albans Raiders. He was captured in Newark, Ohio - and convicted of spying. His failure led to Sarah Slater's trip to Richmond to get "Papers". She was successful.

Davis' capture is the biggest batch of Union lies ever written. The Union claimed that two prisoners released from Andersonville identified him on his trip South - even though he had dyed his hair, and changed his appearance, etc. and there NO RELEASES FROM ANDERSONVILLE in the time period they cited. They concocted the lies to fool the Courts in Canada. The Courts approved Davis' trip, but the Union was not going to allow any "Papers" the would free the Raiders. (This is a good story - look it up, you will enjoy it.)
IMO, they were following him from Canada. The Union attended the Raider trial, so they knew Davis, and knew his mission. They followed him long enough to be sure they were inside the United States.

Davis came from a long line of U. S. Generals - from the Revolution. So, Lincoln jailed him for the duration of the War, instead of hanging him, he lived and married and had Alonzo, who married Caroline...........

RE: Oddities of the Lincoln assassination - HerbS - 11-28-2014 06:52 AM

SSlater,Thank you for the great,unique,information!

RE: Oddities of the Lincoln assassination - Hess1865 - 11-28-2014 10:06 AM

RTL must have held off on his avoidance of appearances with the President when they dedicated the Lincoln Memorial-Pres. Warren G Harding was there, as was RTL

RE: Oddities of the Lincoln assassination - L Verge - 11-28-2014 10:17 AM

Herb,

The Calverts (the Lords Baltimore) were the founders of the proprietary colony of Maryland and have a long history dating back generations in English history as well. Their history is all over the place down here! One of their hunting lodges from the early-1700s is still in existence about three miles from Surratt House, and it was from the Calverts that Mr. Surratt bought the original 200+acres of the Surrattsville property. The fact that he never finished paying for that land in the twelve years that he lived here proved very fateful (and fatal) to Mrs. Surratt since paying that debt was one of the reasons she traveled to Surrattsville on April 11 and April 14, 1865.

The Calvert that she was dealing with was the brother of Julia Calvert Stuart, wife of Dr. Richard Stuart - one of the richest men in Virginia at the time of the Civil War. I believe I'm correct that Dr. Stuart was descended directly through the Stuart kings of England. So we have nobility marrying royalty. Julia Calvert and her brother George had grown up in Riversdale, a Calvert mansion that still stands in our county and has been restored for public tours (owned by the same agency that owns Surratt House). Their mother was Rosalie Stier, the daughter of Belgian aristocracy who fled the French Revolution and lived in Maryland until the Reign of Terror was over. After her parents returned home, she kept up a correspondence with them. The letters were obtained about thirty years ago, translated into English, and published. Rosalie and her husband had a large hand in the early politics of our republic. She mentions visits with such folks as Henry Clay and Thomas Jefferson -- although she was not a fan of "Tommy" Jefferson (her words).

If your sister-in-law is related to the Maryland Calverts, that could be a very impressive family chart.

RE: Oddities of the Lincoln assassination - RJNorton - 11-28-2014 10:36 AM

(11-28-2014 10:06 AM)Hess1865 Wrote:  RTL must have held off on his avoidance of appearances with the President when they dedicated the Lincoln Memorial-Pres. Warren G Harding was there, as was RTL

A couple of years ago Dan Pearson posted a link to the only known clip of Robert T. Lincoln on film. It happened at the dedication of the Lincoln Memorial. Robert appears in the closing seconds of the short film clip.

I took a screenshot of the brief part that shows Robert on the far right:

[Image: robertatlincolnmemorial.jpg]

RE: Oddities of the Lincoln assassination - HerbS - 11-28-2014 11:43 AM

Laurie,Thank you for the information on the Calvert's.From my experience,the Calverts are a very modest family.

RE: Oddities of the Lincoln assassination - L Verge - 11-28-2014 11:57 AM

(11-28-2014 10:36 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(11-28-2014 10:06 AM)Hess1865 Wrote:  RTL must have held off on his avoidance of appearances with the President when they dedicated the Lincoln Memorial-Pres. Warren G Harding was there, as was RTL

A couple of years ago Dan Pearson posted a link to the only known clip of Robert T. Lincoln on film. It happened at the dedication of the Lincoln Memorial. Robert appears in the closing seconds of the short film clip.

I took a screenshot of the brief part that shows Robert on the far right:

[Image: robertatlincolnmemorial.jpg]

Is that President Harding right beside RTL?