Lincoln Discussion Symposium
No more coaching football-but. - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Other (/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: No more coaching football-but. (/thread-1916.html)

Pages: 1 2

No more coaching football-but. - HerbS - 09-17-2014 05:53 PM

After a near death experience and violence.I have decided not to coach football.But I will continue to give back to my community-Kiwanis-Ontario County office for the Aging-advisory board-Meals on wheels-Big brothers and Big sisters-Legacy seniors speakers[Civil War] programs,and other programs etc.My Dr.wants me to be busy and busy I will be.

RE: No more coaching football-but. - RJNorton - 09-17-2014 06:16 PM

Herb, I am so glad you will be doing the Legacy Senior Center programs again. What an exciting and rewarding experience. There is a thread on this here.

Kudos, Herb!

RE: No more coaching football-but. - L Verge - 09-17-2014 07:34 PM

Go for it, Herb. The world needs a lot more people like you. I'm tired of living under the Reign of Terror!

RE: No more coaching football-but. - Eva Elisabeth - 09-17-2014 07:35 PM

Herb, after all the experiences you shared over the time, good and bad, I just can say I take my hat off to you for your "never-give-up" attitude and energy!

RE: No more coaching football-but. - HerbS - 09-18-2014 06:40 AM

Thank you everyone!The best part of the Legacy experience has been the-Lincoln Assassination and interviewing WW-2 vets about their stories.

RE: No more coaching football-but. - LincolnToddFan - 09-20-2014 01:39 PM

HerbS, I am so sorry about your experience. We need more good guys like yourself!

Laurie, I am as exhausted and as angry about the Reign of Terror as you seem to be. I try to comfort myself with the belief that there are more HerbS's out there than there are of THEM...but I am losing hope.

Fast.Sad

RE: No more coaching football-but. - LincolnMan - 09-20-2014 02:57 PM

Smart choice Herb. I know not everyone agrees with this but i do believe we are in a cultural decline resulting in increased violence and loss of civility. When I was a high schooler- about the worst thing we did was chew gum in class- now the teachers are assaulted.

RE: No more coaching football-but. - L Verge - 09-20-2014 03:48 PM

Didn't Lincoln have something to say about a country killing itself from within? Not just his house divided speech. I remember from Western Civ 101 a list of ways to destroy a civilization, and breeding discontent from within was one of them.

RE: No more coaching football-but. - Wild Bill - 09-20-2014 03:52 PM

Lincoln talked about killing the use from within in the Springfield Lyceum speech in 1838

Use ought to be USA

RE: No more coaching football-but. - HerbS - 09-20-2014 06:47 PM

I agree 100% with all of you.Our society is on the downward slope.

RE: No more coaching football-but. - LincolnToddFan - 09-21-2014 04:23 PM

(09-20-2014 02:57 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Smart choice Herb. I know not everyone agrees with this but i do believe we are in a cultural decline resulting in increased violence and loss of civility. When I was a high schooler- about the worst thing we did was chew gum in class- now the teachers are assaulted.

God...I remember that! And remember the kids who ditched class and smoked in the restrooms?? I thought they were downright depraved.

Ahh....for lost innocence...Sad

RE: No more coaching football-but. - L Verge - 09-21-2014 08:42 PM

Back in the Middle Ages (when I was a teenager), there used to be a comic strip with a central character/critter named Pogo. I believe that Pogo was famous for delivering a famous one-liner: WE HAVE MET THE ENEMY AND THEY ARE US!

RE: No more coaching football-but. - HerbS - 09-22-2014 06:42 AM

Laurie-Are you sure that we didn't grow up[if we did grow up]in the Stone Age? But,I agree with you and Pogo!

RE: No more coaching football-but. - Gene C - 09-22-2014 07:02 AM

I remember Pogo, of coarse I was a mere child at the time.

http://www.thisdayinquotes.com/2011/04/we-have-met-enemy-and-he-is-us.html

Lots of Pogo cartoon books available, if you want a pleasant trip down memory lane.
http://www.amazon.com/Walt-Kelly/e/B001HCV950/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_11?qid=1411383530&sr=8-11

RE: No more coaching football-but. - HerbS - 09-22-2014 10:53 AM

Just a mere child-Gene?Yeah Right!