Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Surratt Commission and Anna Surratt - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Assassination (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Surratt Commission and Anna Surratt (/thread-1908.html)

Pages: 1 2

Surratt Commission and Anna Surratt - Warren - 09-14-2014 04:58 PM

Hi, all - a newbie here, and of course, I have to ask newbie questions! I am a longtime Lincoln follower, and take a big interest in the assassination. Attached are some pictures I have of the Surratt Commission, and a ambro or tintype of a woman, who to me, looks a lot like Anna Surratt. Now the questions:

My Surratt Commission photo is on a heavy copper plate and I would think was used for a newspaper or magazine. I would guess that copper engravings were not in use at the time of the assassination and woodcuts would have been used. When did they start using copper plates, and would this have been made from the original negative (Gardner's) or could it have been made from any existing photo?

Regarding the lady in the photo, could this be Anna Surratt? I understand only two photos of her exist. Not much provenance on this one; I bought it at a garage sale. Thanks for all your help.

[undefined=undefined][Image: bvZEIn.jpg]
[Image: nv6g1W.jpg]
[Image: pUNyA6.jpg]

Last question- is there anyway to reset my password to less than 27 characters?

RE: Surratt Commission and Anna Surratt - RJNorton - 09-14-2014 05:02 PM

Warren, welcome to the forum! Yes, I will give you another password and email it to you.

RE: Surratt Commission and Anna Surratt - Warren - 09-14-2014 05:20 PM

(09-14-2014 05:02 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Warren, welcome to the forum! Yes, I will give you another password and email it to you.

Thanks! Got it, and will now work on better photos and an avatar.

RE: Surratt Commission and Anna Surratt - L Verge - 09-14-2014 06:48 PM

Welcome to the forum, Warren. I am Laurie Verge, and I am the director of Surratt House Museum in Clinton (then Surrattsville), Maryland -- as well as a Lincoln assassination addict since about age 10.

The copper plate image is very difficult for me to make out individual figures (and I am away from my important books), but from the little I can see, the image appears to be of the 1865 military commission that oversaw the conspiracy trial -- not the civilian jurors that were impaneled for the trial of John Surratt, Jr. several years later. We have photos of both groups in the museum's photographic archives.

As for the young lady, I am afraid that it is not Elizabeth Susannah Surratt Tonry. We have at least three photos of Anna, ranging in age from late-teens to early-20s (about the time of the assassination) and finally one done in later life which is more of a profile shot. In all three photos, she is a delicate and thin looking individual with light brown to dark blonde coloring. The photo in later years actually appeared along with a story about her in the Baltimore newspaper. Her hair appears to be getting quite gray in that photo, and it is pulled back in a severe bun slightly higher than on the nape of her neck.

Just as an aside, in a letter to one of his cousins, John Surratt, Jr. described his older brother, Isaac Douglas, as being the only one of the children to look like their mother. The only confirmed photo of Isaac (I happen to think there is a second photo of him) is of a man about fifty-years of age with a very impressive mustache. But he is definitely larger boned and of darker countenance than either his younger brother or sister. From the coloring and the eyes, one can easily see that he is his mother's son. The other two are not of as sturdy stock.

Were you provided any provenance for your two photos? The young lady could be a Jenkins relative or even Nora Fitzpatrick, who roomed at the boardinghouse and was arrested at the time of the assassination. I have never seen a photo of Nora. I must say that I am suspecting a deluge of photos coming to life within the next year with claims connected to the assassination in all directions. I have dealt with a lot of spurious photos over the years, but I am truly hoping that some real, identifiable ones come out of the attics during the 150th anniversary year of the assassination.

RE: Surratt Commission and Anna Surratt - Jim Garrett - 09-14-2014 07:11 PM

Welcome Warren. You have landed in probably the greatest braintrust regarding the Lincoln Assassination. Never be afraid of asking a questions. I agree with Laurie. The young lady is not Anna. The copper plate intrigues me.

RE: Surratt Commission and Anna Surratt - STS Lincolnite - 09-14-2014 09:07 PM

Like others have stated, the copper plate image looks to me to be the Military Commission for the trial of the Lincoln Conspirators. In fact, if reversed, I think it is the same image Roger has on his other site. See image and link below.

http://rogerjnorton.com/Lincoln18.html

I trust Laurie and the others' opinions on the Anna Surratt question.

RE: Surratt Commission and Anna Surratt - Warren - 09-16-2014 12:08 PM

Thanks for the replies and kind welcome! Just a couple of more pictures, the back of the Surratt Commission engraving and the back of the lady in the dress photo:
[undefined=undefined][Image: No1DH7.jpg]
[Image: 1n0Az5.jpg]

The copper engraving plate is 7"x5" and weighs a hefty 11.5 ozs. Scratched on back is "Surrat (sic) Commission". The "...ission" is much fainter.

The back of the lady's photograph shows a 3 cent Internal Revenue Proprietary stamp which I understand was used by photographers at the time. You can see the thumbprint of the photographer (I assume it was the photographer) when he attached the stamp.

The copper engraving was an internet find. I wish I knew the year they did these. It appears to have lots of ink stains. I wouldn't dare clean it, though. Very little info on the lady. The woman I bought it from said it was a gift from many years ago; she had no others. She did remark she was moving back east because she did not like the Texas heat.

RE: Surratt Commission and Anna Surratt - L Verge - 09-16-2014 12:35 PM

It may very well still be of the military commission - can you make out uniforms on any of the men? Whoever scratched "Surrat" in may have just been thinking of the female in the group because that was unique. You might want to contact Bob Zeller at the Civil War Photography Center in Gettysburg to see if he has any idea as to the purpose of the copper engraving. Glass negative photos of the Commission were done literally on the spot.

RE: Surratt Commission and Anna Surratt - Warren - 09-16-2014 01:26 PM

Hi, L Verge - it is most definitely the Military Commission and is the exact mirror (reverse) image of the black and white image in STS L's post #6 above. All except two (possibly three) in US Military uniforms. I think the plate was undoubtedly used for reproductions in books or newspapers or maybe even souvenirs. I'm going to try and research the date the engraving was made and how made.

RE: Surratt Commission and Anna Surratt - L Verge - 09-16-2014 05:23 PM

Great - and please call me Laurie...

RE: Surratt Commission and Anna Surratt - Dave Taylor - 09-17-2014 05:40 PM

I remember seeing that copper plate of the commission pop up on eBay. Congrats on winning it, Warren.

RE: Surratt Commission and Anna Surratt - Warren - 09-18-2014 11:50 AM

(09-17-2014 05:40 PM)Dave Taylor Wrote:  I remember seeing that copper plate of the commission pop up on eBay. Congrats on winning it, Warren.

Thanks, Dave. I was stunned I was the only bidder. I did lose out a few days ago on that stereograph of Lincoln's coffin during the funeral parade. Best picture I've ever seen of the coffin.

RE: Surratt Commission and Anna Surratt - LincolnToddFan - 09-20-2014 01:04 PM

Hi Warren-and welcome!

I wish I could see that photo of the coffin....

RE: Surratt Commission and Anna Surratt - Warren - 09-20-2014 04:12 PM

(09-20-2014 01:04 PM)LincolnToddFan Wrote:  Hi Warren-and welcome!

I wish I could see that photo of the coffin....

Here you go:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201164052503?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649

Be sure and scroll down that page for the photos.

If we're not allowed to post ebay links, let me know and I'll delete.

RE: Surratt Commission and Anna Surratt - BettyO - 09-20-2014 04:58 PM

Wow - great image. So very, very clear.

Thanks, Warren!