Lincoln Discussion Symposium
David Herold's dog - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Assassination (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: David Herold's dog (/thread-1889.html)

Pages: 1 2

David Herold's dog - Rsmyth - 09-02-2014 08:14 PM

In the latest issue of the Mudd newsletter they have a story that says while Herold was in prison he was allowed to keep his "splendid pointer dog." When he was led off to the gallows he gave the dog to General Hartranft's. Has anyone heard of this or if Hartranft kept the dog?

RE: David Herold's dog - LincolnToddFan - 09-02-2014 09:48 PM

I did read that DH had a dog that he gave to Hartranft. I was surprised that he did not entrust his beloved pet to the care of one of his sisters.

RE: David Herold's dog - KateH. - 09-02-2014 09:58 PM

It is mentioned in Remarkable Stories of the Lincoln Assassination by Michael Kanazawich. (Page 43).

RE: David Herold's dog - LincolnToddFan - 09-02-2014 10:08 PM

KateH....that's IT! That is where I read it. Thank you!

RE: David Herold's dog - BettyO - 09-02-2014 10:11 PM

I, too have heard the story of Herold's dog. I think I have a newspaper article about it. I'll try to find it and post.

RE: David Herold's dog - John E. - 09-02-2014 10:41 PM

There is only one source for that story and it comes from Capt. Rath. Rath was the man responsible for having the gallows built and graves dug. I looked through old Hartranft family photos to see if I could find the pointer but came up short. I believe the story to be true but have no secondary sources.

When Spangler heard he wasn't going to be executed, he too asked that his dog be sent to the prison. My guess is that he saw Herold's and thought it might be permissible. The book I've been working on will have mention of all of this. Let's hope we are all alive to see it one day.

(09-02-2014 09:48 PM)LincolnToddFan Wrote:  I did read that DH had a dog that he gave to Hartranft. I was surprised that he did not entrust his beloved pet to the care of one of his sisters.

I suspect he wanted to gift the dog to Hartranft because the provost marshal treated the prisoners with respect. He didn't coddle them but he wasn't cruel to them either.

RE: David Herold's dog - KateH. - 09-03-2014 12:09 AM

Betty, I know the article you're thinking of. I also believe there is something in it about Arnold wanting to see his dog.

RE: David Herold's dog - Rsmyth - 09-03-2014 07:14 AM

Thanks all. I guess there is something to the story. Pretty funny response John E.!

RE: David Herold's dog - BettyO - 09-03-2014 08:13 AM

Here is the article -

[attachment=896]

I also read (I think it's in "The Evidence") where Spangler, when caught by the authorities, was clutching a small puppy. This must have been the little dog which he spoke about.

Of course, we're all familiar with Arnold's "Dash".....

I don't know if Mrs. Surratt had any pets, although John Surratt, Jr. speaks of Nora Fitzpatrick's pet cat at the Surratt boarding house. (Weichmann's True History)

Powell had numerous pets, according to his family - a dog, a cat, guinea hens, a pet goat as well as the infamous mule who kicked him in the face at age 12. He also had a favorite thoroughbred bay mare when he was riding with Mosby. According to the Payne family, Powell had several mounts and these horses were left at one of the Payne farms when he went through the lines to go to Baltimore in January of 1865. Apparently the horse he sold in Alexandria was not his pet mare.

Booth had his colt, Cola, but does anyone know if O'Laughlen or Dr. Mudd had any "pets?" I would also bet that Mudd had hounds about his farm.

Quote:The book I've been working on will have mention of all of this. Let's hope we are all alive to see it one day.

John - we'd better be alive! I wouldn't miss it for the world!

RE: David Herold's dog - RJNorton - 09-03-2014 08:35 AM

(09-03-2014 07:14 AM)Rsmyth Wrote:  Pretty funny response John E.!

(09-03-2014 08:13 AM)BettyO Wrote:  John - we'd better be alive! I wouldn't miss it for the world!

I agree, Rich and Betty. John, what do you consider the average person's lifespan?

Betty, you are right about the Mudds having dogs. When Spanger arrived at the Mudds' home he said to Mrs. Mudd, "I followed the road, but when I arrived I was afraid of your dogs, and I roosted in a tree."

RE: David Herold's dog - Rsmyth - 09-03-2014 10:43 AM

The night of the assassination, Spangler was looking for a place to stay. He had heard that Ford's might be torched and that is where he sometimes spent the night. He arrived at the Gourlay home but was turned away by Thomas Gourlay. In a letter years later, Jeannie said Spangler was holding a small dog.

RE: David Herold's dog - BettyO - 09-03-2014 10:46 AM

You are right, Rich - it was Gourley who said that Spangler had a small dog/puppy with him.

RE: David Herold's dog - Susan Higginbotham - 09-03-2014 11:33 AM

I liked the article's description of Mrs. Surratt as "plump and pretty." Much better than the "fair, fat and forty" (and worse) descriptions of the lady!

If Herold's dog was in prison with him, I wonder if this meant that the dog was with him during the pursuit of him and Booth, or whether a family member was allowed to bring him the dog after his imprisonment began.

RE: David Herold's dog - BettyO - 09-03-2014 11:36 AM

I think that the dog was brought into the prison, probably by one of Herold's sisters or friends for company. There is a report that Herold's sisters, during the trial, brought him fresh strawberries and crackers as a treat.

There is no report that Booth and Herold had a dog tagging along with them. Just the fact that the dog could bay and bring their pursuers closer would be a danger to the fugitives.

RE: David Herold's dog - Susan Higginbotham - 09-03-2014 02:05 PM

Yes, that certainly makes more sense!