Lincoln Discussion Symposium
D W Griffith movie "Abraham Lincoln" - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Other (/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: D W Griffith movie "Abraham Lincoln" (/thread-1874.html)

Pages: 1 2

D W Griffith movie "Abraham Lincoln" - Gene C - 08-21-2014 03:07 PM

Found this 1930 classic movie on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0BjEZUbwmo

Your thoughts.....

RE: D W Griffith movie "Abraham Lincoln" - Thomas Thorne - 08-21-2014 07:39 PM

Apart from a gratuitous depiction of Sheridan's ride at Cedar Creek "Abraham Lincoln" is a truly ghastly film. It is bedeviled by the static quality of most early talkies which were chained to their microphone. The screenplay was woeful. Walter Huston as AL ,a wonderful actor, was condemned to boring speeches,half of which ended in his intoning "The Union,it must be preserved."

On a lighter note Thomas Lincoln was played by a little known actor named W L or William Thorne. No relation to me alas. At least Charles Middleton, aka "Ming the Merciless" of Flash Gordon fame played Lincoln's dad in the far superior "Abe Lincoln in Illinois" in 1940. I am surprised this piece of trivia has not inspired someone to do a book or movie in which Lincoln and Flash Gordon join forces to rid the universe of both Ming and the Confederacy.
Tom

RE: D W Griffith movie "Abraham Lincoln" - L Verge - 08-21-2014 08:25 PM

Tom - I just want to say that it is nice to have you back posting on the forum. I always enjoy your thoughts and opinions. Hope to see you again in March.

RE: D W Griffith movie "Abraham Lincoln" - Gene C - 08-21-2014 09:04 PM

(08-21-2014 07:39 PM)Thomas Thorne Wrote:  Apart from a gratuitous depiction of Sheridan's ride at Cedar Creek "Abraham Lincoln" is a truly ghastly film.Tom

Now you've really got me interested in watching this tonight.
Anyone remember Mystery Science Theater 3000?
A few of us should get together and do that for bad history movies. Maybe we could sell the idea to the History Channel or A&E.

RE: D W Griffith movie "Abraham Lincoln" - RJNorton - 08-22-2014 07:52 AM

Thanks for posting this link, Gene.

If anyone wants to see how the assassination is portrayed go here.

I did not know President Lincoln addressed the audience at Ford's Theatre...

RE: D W Griffith movie "Abraham Lincoln" - Gene C - 08-22-2014 08:42 AM

Well, I tried. I fell asleep during the last 30 minutes.
"I think I have done well....Tonight I will try once more...Who, who can read his fate?"

RE: D W Griffith movie "Abraham Lincoln" - Gene C - 08-22-2014 08:49 PM

(catch my little Booth diary quote there?)
A bit of a blooper in the assassination scene that Roger posted.
Right after President Lincoln is shot, at time marker 1:23.37 a man shows up in the Presidential Box (usher, doorman, guard?) and as the scene shifts for a close up (1:22.39) he's gone. As the scene shifts back to a wider shot (1:22.47) he's back, and makes a hurried exit from the box.

Then, there are the obvious historical inaccuracies.

It is interesting to compare to the silent movie scene Griffith did in Birth of A Nation in 1915
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmmjPHlj3NA

more to come.....

RE: D W Griffith movie "Abraham Lincoln" - Hess1865 - 08-23-2014 05:51 AM

Truly an ultra-bogus movie.
SNL could do a better version IMO

RE: D W Griffith movie "Abraham Lincoln" - RJNorton - 08-23-2014 06:53 AM

(08-22-2014 08:49 PM)Gene C Wrote:  A bit of a blooper

(08-23-2014 05:51 AM)Hess1865 Wrote:  Truly an ultra-bogus movie.

Peanut John also looks much older than what books indicate his age to be. Maybe it's just my eyes.

RE: D W Griffith movie "Abraham Lincoln" - Gene C - 08-23-2014 09:52 AM

This was D W Griffith's first talking movie. His most famous movie is Birth of a Nation in 1915, a silent movie. He didn't make the transition to talkies well.

Thomas Thorne's comments are right on target. The one bright spot of the film (to me) was Ann Rutledge (Una Merkel), about 7 minutes into the film and lasting for about 10 minutes. If I didn't know better, I would have thought Michael Burlingame wrote most of Mary Lincoln's lines. There is definitely the Henrdon touch, Mary left at the alter, and the anti Mary portrayal.

It's worth watching, just to see how bad it was, and the progression of how Lincoln is portrayed on film.

RE: D W Griffith movie "Abraham Lincoln" - LincolnToddFan - 08-23-2014 10:00 AM

Thanks for the warning, dear Gene!

I'd rather gouge out my eyes with a shrimp fork than watch "Birth Of A Nation"....now I can also add Griffith's Lincoln movie to my list of films to avoid!Dodgy

RE: D W Griffith movie "Abraham Lincoln" - L Verge - 08-23-2014 03:12 PM

Good lordy, Miss Toia! My eyes are never going to recover from just the thought of your shrimp fork... I've never heard that saying before, but I'm sure going to remember to use it.

RE: D W Griffith movie "Abraham Lincoln" - LincolnToddFan - 08-23-2014 03:34 PM

Heh heh...thanks Laurie! I read it somewhere long ago and the drama queen in me just had to make it my own. I use it whenever I want to convey extreme revulsion to something...or someone!Tongue

RE: D W Griffith movie "Abraham Lincoln" - LincolnMan - 08-23-2014 04:27 PM

We look at the film now and we have serious issues with it (rightly so). I wonder what the audience thought about it in 1930?
Also, I note how dreadful Mary Lincoln is depicted in the film.

RE: D W Griffith movie "Abraham Lincoln" - LincolnToddFan - 08-23-2014 06:28 PM

Bill, from what I understand, it was a big hit and an instant classic. Then-President Woodrow Wilson arranged to have a private screening of it. He was reportedly deeply moved, and felt it was truthful "history written with lightening" or something.

M'kay.Undecided