Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Lincoln's Sons - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Books - over 15,000 to discuss (/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Lincoln's Sons (/thread-1830.html)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Lincoln's Sons - RJNorton - 07-31-2014 05:26 AM

Hi Eva. In my copy of I Mary the photo of Ward's is on p. 34. That page also has an image of the Edwards home in Springfield.

RE: Lincoln's Sons - Eva Elisabeth - 07-31-2014 05:57 AM

Thanks, Roger - then it's definitely not there and I'm not a blind bat. I couldn't believe it. I'm so disappointed it's not there, I can't put it into words!

RE: Lincoln's Sons - RJNorton - 07-31-2014 07:21 AM

Eva, I just scanned p. 34 in I Mary - here is what it looks like:

[Image: imary.jpg]

RE: Lincoln's Sons - Eva Elisabeth - 07-31-2014 08:38 AM

Thank you so much, Roger!

RE: Lincoln's Sons - L Verge - 07-31-2014 09:24 AM

I had never seen a photo of the Edwards' home, so thank you. It is not at all what I was envisioning.

RE: Lincoln's Sons - Eva Elisabeth - 10-26-2014 02:23 PM

(07-23-2014 09:43 AM)LincolnToddFan Wrote:  I've also read somewhere that poor Tad was called to testify at the Surratt trial. How awful for him!
Toia, I remembered your post when reading this - according to p. 378 of "A True History of the Assassination of Abraham Lincoln" by Louis J. Weichmann/A. C. Richards, Tad said after the trial to Louis Weichmann: "I desire to thank you, sir, for your testimony in behalf of my father." "Who are you, sonny?" Weichmann asked. "My name is Tad Lincoln."

Tad testified at the John Surratt trial on Friday, July 5, 1867. Here's the entire trial transcript (see p.525-526):
https://archive.org/stream/trialjohnhsurra00surrgoog

This is a screenshot of Tad's testimony:
[attachment=1081]

RE: Lincoln's Sons - RJNorton - 10-26-2014 02:45 PM

That is fascinating, Eva! Thank you. In his book Weichmann also says he met Abraham Lincoln himself. He writes of Lincoln, "Taking my hand in his with a firm, full grasp, his words were, "How do you do sir? I am glad to see you."

RE: Lincoln's Sons - Eva Elisabeth - 07-20-2015 10:10 AM

It's a nicely written and done book on the topic, reads like a narrative. I sometimes got lost in the chronological order of incidents as RPR laps back and forth in time at times, also I would have appreciated footnotes. But most "stories" and incidents are told in other (footnoted) works, too. Still there was new for me to learn and discover, and one effort of "Lincoln's Sons" is that it enlarged my rather poor image/impression of RTL. I was impressed how insightfully he cared for his mother and Tad in the first time after the assassination, in all regards, and took over to settle affairs while pursing his own way and live - he certainly was multi-tasking skilled. So far I still I cannot approve of his conduct in the insanity affair, but I haven't yet arrived there in the book, so who knows if Ms. PR will make me think better about this, too.

One word creation and pun by RPR I loved - that Robert and Mary "in not publishing the [Queen's] letter [of condolence] had out-Victoriated Queen Victoria herself". The "pun" background was new to me, and rather disillusioning - gladly Mary didn't know. The Queen had composed this letter first of all for PR reasons and on advice, and it had been intended for publication!

However, Robert and Mary considered personal matters and letters not to be for the public, at least not during the writer's lifetime, thus out-Victoriated the Queen.

I have a question - upon joining the army, Robert was immediately given the rank of a captain. Where did/does a captain rank within the army, and what is required by a "normal" person without presidental connections to receive this appointment?

RE: Lincoln's Sons - Eva Elisabeth - 07-24-2015 10:47 AM

(07-20-2015 10:10 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  So far I still I cannot approve of his conduct in the insanity affair, but I haven't yet arrived there in the book, so who knows if Ms. PR will make me think better about this, too.
She didn't make me "get over" the insanity issue, but overall made me understand Robert's personality better and appreciate his qualities, of which I previously hadn't read that much. Robert grew increasingly proud of his father the older he got, but his father had every reason to be very proud of him, too. Sadly he didn't live to see and acknowledge.

RE: Lincoln's Sons - LincolnToddFan - 07-25-2015 04:00 PM

(10-26-2014 02:45 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  That is fascinating, Eva! Thank you. In his book Weichmann also says he met Abraham Lincoln himself. He writes of Lincoln, "Taking my hand in his with a firm, full grasp, his words were, "How do you do sir? I am glad to see you."

I've never heard that before Roger, and it gives me a bit of a chill to know that AL actually met one of the men who would figure so largely in the trial of his own assassins. Confused