Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Abraham Lincoln's Slippers - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Other (/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Abraham Lincoln's Slippers (/thread-1788.html)

Abraham Lincoln's Slippers - RJNorton - 07-03-2014 04:57 PM

Article and photo here.

RE: Abraham Lincoln's Slippers - L Verge - 07-03-2014 05:33 PM

Are Nanny and Nanko the images on them?

RE: Abraham Lincoln's Slippers - Eva Elisabeth - 07-03-2014 07:14 PM

Cool - Nanny and Nanko slippers...I wonder what those rubber boots looked like that Bud Taft once bought for A. L. on the latter's behalf?

RE: Abraham Lincoln's Slippers - LincolnMan - 07-04-2014 07:31 AM

I wonder if they were considered fashionable? What did Mary think of them? Was there some humor underlying with them?

RE: Abraham Lincoln's Slippers - Eva Elisabeth - 07-04-2014 09:38 AM

(07-04-2014 07:31 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  I wonder if they were considered fashionable?
In Bavaria, Austria, and Swizzerland they would.

RE: Abraham Lincoln's Slippers - L Verge - 07-04-2014 01:02 PM

I think they would be fashionable in the U.S. also. I believe they were called carpet slippers, meaning both for wearing inside instead of heavy shoes that would hurt the carpets and also that they resembled carpet fabric - just like the "suitcases" of the day were called carpetbags.

RE: Abraham Lincoln's Slippers - RJNorton - 07-04-2014 02:14 PM

(07-04-2014 01:02 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I think they would be fashionable in the U.S. also. I believe they were called carpet slippers, meaning both for wearing inside instead of heavy shoes that would hurt the carpets and also that they resembled carpet fabric - just like the "suitcases" of the day were called carpetbags.

Jay Monaghan titled his book "Abraham Lincoln Deals with Foreign Affairs: A Diplomat in Carpet Slippers."

RE: Abraham Lincoln's Slippers - LincolnMan - 07-05-2014 01:06 PM

Well, they must have been comfortable enough. They seemed a liitle bit much for me as far as design- but it was a different time and a different era.

RE: Abraham Lincoln's Slippers - Jami Coren - 03-13-2020 10:18 AM

Does anyone know who had made Lincoln those goat slippers, and if they were meant to represent his pet goats Nanny and Ninko (who sadly perished in a barn fire)?

RE: Abraham Lincoln's Slippers - RJNorton - 03-13-2020 02:09 PM

Welcome, to the forum, Jami. Personally, I do not ever recall reading the answer to your questions. I have a few books to look in, and if I find anything, I shall post.