Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Something New - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Books - over 15,000 to discuss (/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Something New (/thread-1771.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Something New - PaigeBooth - 06-27-2014 09:10 PM

A new book regarding slavery and the Civil War has recently hit the shelves! My grandfather told me about it weeks ago, however, it was not yet available- until now. It's titled The Scorpion's Sting, by author and Lincoln Prize winner James Oakes. Perhaps many of you have already heard about it or maybe even picked it up at the book store....but I thought I would let everyone know anyway. I just bought my copy today, and am looking forward to finding time to read it since I have been so very busy lately. The front cover states how Mr. Oakes explores many valid questions concerning antislavery and the coming of the Civil War.

RE: Something New - RJNorton - 06-28-2014 05:14 AM

Paige, thank you for posting this.

RE: Something New - L Verge - 06-28-2014 01:18 PM

Sounds interesting. Thanks for the tip. I will never catch up on my reading, so please let us know what you think when you read it.

RE: Something New - Eva Elisabeth - 06-28-2014 08:53 PM

I assume it's this one?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0393239934?pc_redir=1403768848&robot_redir=1
Interesting topic, thanks for the recommendation (and as none of such books hit the shelves here, I appreciate all recommendations).
Here's a review:
http://m.washingtonpost.com/opinions/book-review-the-scorpions-sting-antislavery-before-civil-war-by-james-oakes/2014/05/30/4ac8be44-c972-11e3-95f7-7ecdde72d2ea_story.html

RE: Something New - PaigeBooth - 06-29-2014 10:02 PM

Hi, Eva! Thanks for sending the review from the Washington Post. As soon as I find some time to read the book, I will certainly post if I find anything of great interest.

RE: Something New - L Verge - 07-03-2014 09:32 AM

Another new book on the Lincoln assassination is due out in November. Authored by Fred Hatch, it is entitled The Lincoln Assassination Conspiracy Trial and Its Legacy. Fred contends that the trial was illegal and cites his reasons, as well as giving a warning against unchecked power by the executive branch of the government.

RE: Something New - PaigeBooth - 07-04-2014 11:44 AM

Sounds great, Laurie. I had not heard of that one yet, and will check for it in November, as I am always excited for new books coming out. Smile

RE: Something New - L Verge - 07-04-2014 12:11 PM

There's going to be a bunch of them coming related to the assassination. Terry Alford's long-awaited bio of Booth, Fortune's Fool, is at the publisher now; Michael Schein has one coming on John Surratt, Jr.; John Fazio is finishing up one on his take of some of the assassination history; Kathy Canavan is working on one about the occupants of Tenth Street and the Petersen family in particular. Long may they come!

And this may not be a book -- but, everyone should take a look at the excellent article that Dave Taylor has posted on his BoothieBarn.com site in reference to Lew Wallace and his wonderful study and museum in Indiana.

RE: Something New - Wild Bill - 07-04-2014 04:24 PM

RE: Paige Booth's post #1 above in this thread 06/27/14 on the Scorpion's Sting by James Oakes.

I would recommend that one first read his Freedom National referred to by Rob Wick in post#1 under the thread New Books, 12/02/12. It gives one the background to better understand Oakes' Scorpion's Sting, a series of more intricate historical essays delivered as part of the Walter L Fleming Lectures, a more or less annual event sponsored by the History Department at Louisiana State University. Otherwise she is correct--it is fascinating and essential to understanding where the N and S stood at the eve of secession and during the war on the issue of emancipation.

Also, I have another of my historical novels that Laurie despises coming out this Fall called The Assassinator: The Trial and Hanging of John Wilkes Booth, a sort of what if look at an alternative history, complete with footnotes and real history, that assumes that Booth did not die at Garrett's Farm but lived to face a military commission as did his co-conspirators, and explaining Booth's attempt to defend his actions at Ford's Theater, April 14, 1865, when denied that opportunity by rules of the court.

RE: Something New - Linda Anderson - 07-04-2014 04:37 PM

That's great about your new book coming out, Bill. I love historical novels, especially the ones like yours that have incredible footnotes.

Please let us know when your book is available to purchase.

RE: Something New - BettyO - 07-04-2014 04:48 PM

Agreed, Linda. Let's just say that I've had a "Sneak Peek" and if you love accurate historical fiction with a foundation in truth (complete with notes and references) you'll love this latest from Wild Bill. Bill is one of that rare breed who can write and word things with a total historical, period "feel" for the language and social history of the Victorian era.

I'm looking forward to seeing this one in print AND eBook as well, I'm sure..... stay tuned!

RE: Something New - L Verge - 07-04-2014 08:16 PM

And, just to set the record straight, Laurie does not despise Bill's historical novels. If she did, they would not be sold at Surratt House! I have to overrule the gift shop manager in order to get them there.

Bill, please stop painting me as one of your enemies...

RE: Something New - L Verge - 07-19-2014 07:17 PM

We just received shipment of two new books at the Surratt gift shop: Abraham Lincoln in the Kitchen: A Culinary View of Lincoln's Life and Times by Rae Katherine Eighmery mixes recipes with historical data and regional cooking. The second book is George Alfred Townsend and Gathland: A Journalist and His Western Maryland Estate by Dianne Wiebe.

I may be wrong, but I believe this may be the first book written about GATH. Surratt member Bob Allen has given a great article on the journalist for the September and October Surratt Courier.

RE: Something New - BettyO - 07-19-2014 07:32 PM

Ooohhh.....OK! I want BOTH of these....

RE: Something New - bob_summers - 07-20-2014 08:26 AM

(07-19-2014 07:17 PM)L Verge Wrote:  We just received shipment of two new books at the Surratt gift shop: Abraham Lincoln in the Kitchen: A Culinary View of Lincoln's Life and Times by Rae Katherine Eighmery mixes recipes with historical data and regional cooking. The second book is George Alfred Townsend and Gathland: A Journalist and His Western Maryland Estate by Dianne Wiebe.

I may be wrong, but I believe this may be the first book written about GATH. Surratt member Bob Allen has given a great article on the journalist for the September and October Surratt Courier.

Laurie, I have a copy of a 1946 book by Ruthanna Hinds entitled George Alfred Townsend. It’s a hardcover, short book, only 72 pages, but well sourced. I think this may be the first book about him.