Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Welcome Fred Atzrodt! - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Welcome Fred Atzrodt! (/thread-1432.html)

Pages: 1 2

Welcome Fred Atzrodt! - BettyO - 01-10-2014 07:13 AM

I was delighted to learn yesterday afternoon that Fred Atzrodt has joined our Forum!

Mr. Atzrodt is related to our George Atzerodt - and I had the distinct pleasure of meeting him back in 1983.

[attachment=377]

L to R: Fred Atzrodt, Mudd descendant, Laurie Verge, Herold descendant and a Surratt descendant -

RE: Welcome Fred Atzrodt! - RJNorton - 01-10-2014 09:34 AM

Welcome to the forum, Fred!

RE: Welcome Fred Atzrodt! - L Verge - 01-10-2014 10:26 AM

So nice to see you participating in the forum, Fred. Please fill everyone in on your relationship to George.

RE: Welcome Fred Atzrodt! - Fred Atzrodt - 01-10-2014 12:01 PM

Betty,
Thanks for the welcome. I setup a private Surratt Tour last year for my community. Spent about an hour talking with Laurie Verge when we stopped at the Tavern. First time I have seen her since 1983.

Keep in touch

Fred Atzrodt

(01-10-2014 07:13 AM)BettyO Wrote:  I was delighted to learn yesterday afternoon that Fred Atzrodt has joined our Forum!

Mr. Atzrodt is related to our George Atzerodt - and I had the distinct pleasure of meeting him back in 1983.

L to R: Fred Atzrodt, Mudd descendant, Laurie Verge, Herold descendant and a Surratt descendant -

[attachment=381]Laurie,

Good to hear from you. George Atzerodt is my Great Great Uncle. My Great Grandfather was George's brother. His name was Harry Atzerodt. Some time later in life he dropped the "e" from the name. I do have some paperwork from the 1880's that still had the "e" in the name.

I have attached a Picture of Harry from 1930

Fred

(01-10-2014 10:26 AM)L Verge Wrote:  So nice to see you participating in the forum, Fred. Please fill everyone in on your relationship to George.

RE: Welcome Fred Atzrodt! - BettyO - 01-10-2014 12:46 PM

Fred -

We're so very, very glad that you've come onto the board. I have a lot of info to share with you and will PM you with the particulars.

There is another gentlemen here, Daniel C. who is interested in doing a bio of George - much needed!

Glad to see you post! I remember meeting you back in '83!

RE: Welcome Fred Atzrodt! - Dave Taylor - 01-10-2014 05:28 PM

Fred,

Welcome! We met and chatted briefly after your Escape Route Tour (I was the one who picked up the guide and his lovely assistant at Horne's).

Thanks so much for posting that picture of your great grandfather. Does your family have any sort of recollections or unique oral history regarding your infamous ancestor? It would be fascinating to know any family stories about George.

RE: Welcome Fred Atzrodt! - Hess1865 - 01-10-2014 10:19 PM

Welcome Mr. Atzrodt!

RE: Welcome Fred Atzrodt! - KateH. - 01-11-2014 03:31 PM

Warmest welcomes, Mr. Atzrodt Smile

RE: Welcome Fred Atzrodt! - RJNorton - 02-07-2014 06:03 PM

Many thanks to Fred Atzrodt for sending this photo. It's a picture of Fred with George A. Atzerodt taken last year at Ford's Theatre.

[Image: fredatzrodt.JPG]

RE: Welcome Fred Atzrodt! - BettyO - 02-07-2014 07:47 PM

What a wonderful photo of Fred and his relative! Priceless....

RE: Welcome Fred Atzrodt! - HerbS - 02-08-2014 10:00 AM

Welcome Fred,This is a"Blockbuster"experience!

RE: Welcome Fred Atzrodt! - LincolnMan - 02-08-2014 10:59 AM

Welcome Fred. We would be interested in hearing (if you care to share) - your story- when you learned of your family history-and your involvement in the Lincoln world.

RE: Welcome Fred Atzrodt! - Anita - 02-08-2014 05:03 PM

Thank you Fred for sharing with the forum. Great photo taken at Ford's. You so strongly resemble George.

RE: Welcome Fred Atzrodt! - Eva Elisabeth - 03-24-2014 10:46 AM

A colleague of mine, main classroom teacher in the car mechanics' classes, complained that I didn't take a photo of an American car repair shop (for the wall photo collection in the classroom). Actually I didn't see any, but now I wonder if there is any picture of the place in Port Tobacco where George Atzerodt worked as a carriage painter? Would be a nice substitute...(Dave, do you maybe know of this?)

RE: Welcome Fred Atzrodt! - L Verge - 03-24-2014 11:48 AM

Unless the intrepid Dave Taylor has uncovered something new, there is no known photograph of the Atzerodt establishment in Port Tobacco. I have seen an advertisement for it - in the Port Tobacco newspapers of the era - I believe.

There still exists confusion as to where the carriage shop was located. For years, everyone thought it was behind the Brawner Hotel (which no longer exists); but I believe that on-going archaeological digs suggest that it might have been located elsewhere.

It is my understanding from old-timers in the area that much of the research that was done on Port Tobacco for the restoration project that went on in the 1960-90 period has been "confiscated" by persons who were then involved in the program and is not being shared.

P.S. Dave and/or Rick Smith, can you snap some photos of a hometown car repair shop and a dealers' repair shop to send to Eva?