Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Stump the German - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Stump the German (/thread-1313.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

RE: Stump the German - Eva Elisabeth - 05-03-2014 12:03 PM

Excellent, Roger. The church is St. Andrews.

http://www.mabbs.co.uk/uk/anglia/norfolk/hingham1.htm
http://eastscapes.blogspot.de/2012/05/sp...h.html?m=1

You win a cruise to England aboard the Queen Elizabeth.
[attachment=611]
In a recent post, Bill wondered if the Boones and the Lincolns came from the same area in England. At least the generations that emigrated didn't. They didn't even sail from the same area. I found that an interesting question. I once "researched" Lincoln's roots in England, and now I looked for Boone's, too.
Samuel Lincoln, Abraham Lincoln's great-great-great-great-grandfather, was born in Hingham, Norfolk, England, in 1622 (baptized on Aug. 24), as one of seven children of Edward Lincoln. He was later apprenticed to Francis Lawes, a weaver of Carleton Rode, Norwich. Francis emigrated with his wife, daughter, and two servants, Anne Smith and Samuel Lincoln, on April 8, 1637. They sailed in the ‘John and Dorothy’ of Ipswich and reached Boston on June 20. Samuel soon left Lawes and settled in what was by then Hingham, Suffolk County (Present Plymouth County), Province of Massachusetts, where his two brothers, Daniel and Thomas, were already living (Daniel had emigrated in1633 and Thomas in 1633). He died there on May 26, 1690.

Daniel Boone's father, Squire Boone, was born in Bradninch, Devonshire, England, on Dec. 6, 1696. He, his brother George, and his sister Sarah, had been sent to America to investigate conditions a few years before his parents and six other siblings sailed from Bristol to Philadelphia in 1717. The parents were members of the Society of Friends (Quakers) in Callumpton, Devonshire, from which meeting they took a letter of recommendation to the Society of Friends in America. The Boone family first lived in Exeter township, Berks County; Squire Boone died in Rowan County, North Carolina on Jan. 2, 1765.

To summarize: Samuel Lincoln came from Hingham (left) and departed from Ipswich (right):
[attachment=635] [attachment=638]
...whereas the Boones came from Bradninch and departed from Bristol:
[attachment=636] [attachment=637]

What I also found interesting is that e.g. Daniel Boone's grandparents arrived at Philadelphia on Sept. 29 (O.S.), which was as well Oct. 10 (N.S.), 1717. Old Style (O.S.) and New Style (N.S.) refer to the Julian and the Gregorian calendar. The Gregorian calendar replaced the Julian in Catholic countries beginning in 1582. In England and Wales, Ireland, and the British colonies, the change of the start of the year and the changeover from the Julian calendar occurred in 1752 under the Calendar (New Style) Act 1750.

RE: Stump the German - Eva Elisabeth - 05-11-2014 07:31 PM

How is this liked to Lincoln?
[attachment=642]

RE: Stump the German - J. Beckert - 05-11-2014 08:26 PM

He sometimes tested new weapons on the White House lawn?

RE: Stump the German - Eva Elisabeth - 05-11-2014 08:49 PM

Good guess, Joe, but it doesn't have to do with weapons.

RE: Stump the German - Eva Elisabeth - 05-12-2014 12:07 AM

Hint #1: Describe the picture. What do you see?

RE: Stump the German - RJNorton - 05-12-2014 04:59 AM

(05-12-2014 12:07 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Hint #1: Describe the picture. What do you see?

Robin Hood wearing Lincoln green?

(Eva, your reply on the Boones and Lincolns is wonderful!)

RE: Stump the German - Eva Elisabeth - 05-12-2014 05:53 AM

(Thanks!) Incredible, I was sure this would need more hints! You absolutely stumped me, Roger!

Allegedly Lincoln green was a popular color during the Victorian period, and Mary mentions the color as follows in a letter to Mercy Ann Levering, written in Springfield, Dec. [15?] 1840:
"Speed's 'gray suit' has gone the way of all flesh,..., Lincoln's Lincoln green have gone to dust..." (J.+L. L.Turner: "MTL-Her Life & Letters".)

Here's the background info on the color's name:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_green

RE: Stump the German - Eva Elisabeth - 06-08-2014 07:26 AM

Who is this gentleman, and what did he have to do with the Declaration of Independence?
[attachment=688]

RE: Stump the German - Eva Elisabeth - 06-08-2014 11:29 AM

Hint #1: He was a journalist from Baltimore.

RE: Stump the German - RJNorton - 06-08-2014 11:49 AM

A young James Ryder Randall?

RE: Stump the German - Eva Elisabeth - 06-08-2014 12:28 PM

Excellent guess, Roger, but it's not James Randall.
Hint #2: He was also a scholar of American English and wrote a multi-volume study on that topic.

RE: Stump the German - J. Beckert - 06-08-2014 12:45 PM

That's H.L. Mencken, the "Sage of Baltimore" who wrote a "translation" of the Declaration of Independence, making it easier for Non Germans to understand.

RE: Stump the German - Eva Elisabeth - 06-08-2014 02:37 PM

You are ever so smart, Herr Beckert! That I will grade 1+ (A+).

Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956) wrote a translation into "common speech" in the days during and after World War I. Woodrow Wilson's wartime central planning, which led to arrests of businessmen and other dissenters, caused him to wonder what happened to the ideals of the American Revolution and if "perhaps" the language of the original Declaration was too anachronistic for modern ears. So he offered his own translation into "common American dialect".

If you check the link please remember it was a scholar who wrote this (as there are some words I would not teach students).
http://www.bartleby.com/185/a1.html

Mencken also said: "Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood.”

Joe, Roger lately gave a Polar Vortex as prize. Since I know how dearly you love the P.V., I'll try to dig up one, too, and ship it to you ASAP.

RE: Stump the German - J. Beckert - 06-08-2014 03:13 PM

Dankeschon, Eva! It's 85 here today. I'm getting crabbier by the hour.

RE: Stump the German - Eva Elisabeth - 06-15-2014 04:50 AM

Who is this gentleman?
[attachment=697]