Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Stump the German - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Stump the German (/thread-1313.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

RE: Stump the German - Eva Elisabeth - 04-24-2016 06:59 AM

Good idea, Bill - I'm afraid if there's a borderline between those countries named after RTL, or a forum member living in one of the countries I don't know thereof, however, these are not the countries I am thinking of.

RE: Stump the German - Eva Elisabeth - 04-24-2016 08:53 AM

Just to clarify furthermore - you are very welcome to guess on only one of the countries! Roger, would you mind to help with country #1 by naming all countries in which forum members live? (You may sure also tell your personal pick of these!) Thank you!

Hint #3: Country #2 is a kingdom.
Hint #4: A dispute emerged between the two countries about that "Lincoln boundary" in the last century.

RE: Stump the German - RJNorton - 04-24-2016 09:19 AM

Eva, hopefully I will not leave a country out. The forum members I can think of offhand are from the USA, Germany, Netherlands, France, Canada, South Africa, Malaysia, Great Britain, Brazil, and China.

RE: Stump the German - Gene C - 04-24-2016 09:36 AM

England & Scotland?

which reminds me of a song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0KQLJwMDzc

RE: Stump the German - Eva Elisabeth - 04-24-2016 09:43 AM

Thank you, Roger. (Very cool, isn't it? "...this man does not belong to you alone, my friends. He belongs to all of us...") Country #1 is indeed one of these.

Good guess, Gene, but the border I am looking for is between two countries.

Hint #5: The naming in honor has to do with a mission when Robert was Secretary of War.

SHAME ON ME, upon reconsideration - BOTH countries are monarchies!!!

RE: Stump the German - L Verge - 04-24-2016 09:54 AM

Denmark or Switzerland?

RE: Stump the German - Eva Elisabeth - 04-24-2016 10:02 AM

Kudos, Laurie, Denmark is country #2! Now, which of the ones in Roger's compilation (a monarchy, too) shares this border? (Tricky geography...)
[To approach - which countries in Roger's compilation are monarchies?]

My last hint may hopefully inspire (and it has nothing to do with the composer being from the kingdom of Belgium):
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xxw0gg_django-reinhardt-la-mer_music#video/xxw0gg

RE: Stump the German - Wild Bill - 04-24-2016 10:54 AM

Ok, going on where you live I am going to say Denmark and Prussia

RE: Stump the German - Eva Elisabeth - 04-24-2016 11:00 AM

Excellent guess, Bill, but the other country is still a monarchy nowadays, and it's closer to your country than to mine

PS: Denmark is huge...roughly 850,000 square miles altogether...(Alaska: 572,000...) - would that ring a bell?

RE: Stump the German - Wild Bill - 04-24-2016 12:44 PM

Denmark and Norway

RE: Stump the German - RJNorton - 04-24-2016 01:34 PM

(04-24-2016 11:00 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Excellent guess, Bill, but the other country is still a monarchy nowadays, and it's closer to your country than to mine

PS: Denmark is huge...roughly 850,000 square miles altogether...(Alaska: 572,000...) - would that ring a bell?

Canada?

RE: Stump the German - Eva Elisabeth - 04-24-2016 02:21 PM

First of all thanks to all participants!

Kudos, Roger, you nailed it. (Sorry, initially I totally forgot Canada is a federal parliamentary constitutional monarchy, the monarch being Elizabeth II...). And Wild Bill - it's indeed a sea boundary, the Lincoln Sea.

Just to visualize - this (green) all is Denmark:
[attachment=2246]
The Lincoln Sea is a body of water in the Arctic Ocean, stretching from Cape Columbia, Canada, in the west to Cape Morris Jesup, Greenland, in the east. The northern limit is defined as the great circle line between those two headlands. The broken blue lines indicate 200-nautical-mile zones:
[attachment=2247] [attachment=2248]
1) Lincoln Sea; 2) Nares Strait; 3) Baffin Bay 4) Davis Strait ; 5) Labrador Sea

The sea was named after Robert Todd Lincoln, then United States Secretary of War, on Adolphus W. Greely's 1881–1884 Arctic expedition.

The Lincoln Sea is covered with sea ice throughout the year, the thickest sea ice in the Arctic Ocean. Alert, the northernmost station of Canada, is the only populated place on the shore of the Lincoln Sea, and the most northern populated place in the world at all.

A disagreement on the maritime boundary in the Lincoln Sea (i.e. on a 200-square-kilometre section) emerged after 1973 when Canada and Denmark signed a treaty establishing the offshore boundary north of Canada's Ellesmere Island and Greenland that left portions of it undefined. On Nov.28, 2012, both countries finally reached a tentative agreement on the Lincoln Sea boundary.

Laurie and Roger, you win a trip to celebrate July 4 at the Lincoln Log Cabin Museum in Rebild, Denmark:
http://m.visitdenmark.co.uk/en-gb/denmark/lincoln-log-cabin-blokhousemuseum-gdk858541

I learned of the existence of this place from Dr. Steers' new book, and this is what he replied upon my inquiry:
"In Rebild, Denmark there is a Lincoln Log Cabin Museum that houses a Lincoln exhibit and bronze plaque of Lincoln. Each year on May 30 and July 4 ceremonies are held there. In 1962 Richard Nixon attended and gave a speech. 40,000 people attended. The people claim that the largest crowds that gather on July 4 are not in America, but in Rebild, Denmark."

He also sent this photo of the plaque (thanks, Dr. Steers!):
[attachment=2249]
...and I found a newspaper article about Nixon's attendance. It's a pdf file, I hope Roger will kindly help to make it accessible...

RE: Stump the German - RJNorton - 04-24-2016 02:57 PM

Thanks, Eva! Love the prize!

Here is the .pdf file Eva sent: CLICK HERE.

RE: Stump the German - Eva Elisabeth - 04-24-2016 03:41 PM

Thank you for helping with the pdf and member nationalities, Roger!

PS: For info on the the Greely expedition (" Lady Franklin Bay Expedition"), which caused Robert quite some distress (he was criticized for sending help too late), please go here:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolphus_Greely

RE: Stump the German - Eva Elisabeth - 10-19-2016 08:04 AM

No link to the Lincoln saga, but an American with fascinating CV, after whom a street is named over here - who is depicted?
[attachment=2421]