Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Stump the German - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Stump the German (/thread-1313.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

RE: Stump the German - L Verge - 03-02-2016 02:23 PM

Mencken was a native of Baltimore and lived there - in the same house - all of his life (I think). It still stands and is a great example of the Baltimore row houses of the 19th century with the pristine white marble entry steps.

However, when Mencken died in the mid-1950s, the house was given to the University of Maryland. It was later swapped to the city and incorporated into Baltimore's City Life Museums. That group disbanded for economic reasons, and so far as I know, the Mencken house now stands empty and is deteriorating while the city tries to find a civic group to save it.

Since H.L. Mencken worked for the Baltimore Sun, which still is in existence, it's a shame the Sun doesn't figure out a way to protect it. However, newspapers today need a little protection from extinction themselves.

RE: Stump the German - Eva Elisabeth - 04-03-2016 08:47 AM

1.) Who was described here, and 2.) by whom? (You are welcome to guess on both or only one question!)

"Indeed, he may truly be said to have been in his old age, not only the most beloved, but also the happiest of Americans. Many years he lived in the midst of posterity. His task was finished, and this he wisely understood. His deeds had been passed upon by the judgment of history, and irrevocably registered among the glories of his country and his age. His generous heart envied no one, and wished every one well; and ill-will had long ceased to pursue him."

RE: Stump the German - RJNorton - 04-03-2016 09:07 AM

This guess doesn't seem right...almost sure this is wrong...but I will try Abraham Lincoln's eulogy on Henry Clay?

RE: Stump the German - Gene C - 04-03-2016 09:24 AM

Fido by John Roll

RE: Stump the German - Eva Elisabeth - 04-03-2016 10:04 AM

Excellent guesses by the both of you, but I'm sorry, neither is correct.

Hint #1: Both were rather controversial characters.

RE: Stump the German - Eva Elisabeth - 04-03-2016 11:55 AM

Hint #2: Both fought in the CW.

RE: Stump the German - RJNorton - 04-03-2016 12:11 PM

(04-03-2016 10:04 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Hint #1: Both were rather controversial characters.

(04-03-2016 11:55 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Hint #2: Both fought in the CW.

1. General William Tecumseh Sherman

2. Carl Schurz

RE: Stump the German - Eva Elisabeth - 04-03-2016 03:02 PM

Kudos, Roger, you stumped me - I didn't expect someone nailing both at once that quickly!! I was expecting my next hint however to reveal one of them:
[attachment=2207]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Sherman_(tree)
(The site doesn't reveal that Sherman was a key member of "The Boone and Crockett Club", an organization founded by Theodore Roosevelt, that also worked for the expansion and protection of Yellowstone National Park, and the establishment of American Conservation in general.)

The quote was from the address by Carl Schurz at a special meeting of the Chamber of Commerce of the State of New York, February 17, 1891.

Roger - since baseball season is about to begin the prize is my best wishes and crossest-kept fingers for the Cubs to play the best season ever!

RE: Stump the German - RJNorton - 04-03-2016 03:30 PM

Thanks, Eva. The oddsmakers in Las Vegas have made them World Series favorites. In my lifetime I do not recall them ever being pre-season favorites before.

RE: Stump the German - Eva Elisabeth - 04-23-2016 03:10 PM

Please don't miss to brood about Laurie's Extra Credit Question which is still to be found out, too, and forgive that I am too impatient to wait posting this one at the same time:

Which two countries share a border named after a Lincoln family member?

RE: Stump the German - Eva Elisabeth - 04-23-2016 07:04 PM

Hint #1: One of the countries is represented on the forum, i.e. by forum members who live there, the other country to my knowledge isn't.

RE: Stump the German - Eva Elisabeth - 04-24-2016 06:06 AM

Since there are not too many forum nationalities to guess on (which would be a reasonable beginning) - is the question perhaps not worded understandably? Please let me know - thanks. (Has anyone seen this question at all?)

Hint #2: The borderline bears the Lincoln name in honor of RTL.

Just to clarify - I am just asking for two countries!

RE: Stump the German - RJNorton - 04-24-2016 06:13 AM

I have sure thought about this, but my mind is blank when it comes to an answer.

RE: Stump the German - Eva Elisabeth - 04-24-2016 06:17 AM

Ok, I recommend the following strategy: Try to determine country #1 by trying countries that match the first specification in hint #1, this makes already half of the prize.

RE: Stump the German - Wild Bill - 04-24-2016 06:28 AM

Colombia and Panama