Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Stump the German - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Stump the German (/thread-1313.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

RE: Stump the German - Rogerm - 10-15-2015 06:07 PM

I agree with Roger that it was Edward Everett, who preceded Lincoln with a two-hour speech before his famous Gettysburg Address in November, 1863.

RE: Stump the German - Eva Elisabeth - 10-15-2015 06:48 PM

Roger - you deserve a PhD, too!!! And my best wishes for a wonderful weekend!!!

RE: Stump the German - Eva Elisabeth - 03-01-2016 08:20 AM

Where hung this painting?
[attachment=2172]

RE: Stump the German - RJNorton - 03-01-2016 09:39 AM

Zurich?

RE: Stump the German - Eva Elisabeth - 03-01-2016 10:26 AM

An outstanding guess, Roger, but, sorry, not correct!

Hint #1: The painted scenery is in the US..

RE: Stump the German - L Verge - 03-01-2016 11:17 AM

The style of painting reminds me of the Hudson River movement (I think that's what it was called). Did it once hang in Seward's home?

RE: Stump the German - Eva Elisabeth - 03-01-2016 03:02 PM

Kudos, Laurie - Caesar would say "venisti, vidisti, vicisti" - you came, saw, conquered! Linda once posted about the painting, and I thought it was time for some Bozart again...
http://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium/thread-1142.html?highlight=thomas+cole

RE: Stump the German - Linda Anderson - 03-01-2016 03:25 PM

(03-01-2016 03:02 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Kudos, Laurie - Caesar would say "venisti, vidisti, vicisti" - you came, saw, conquered! Linda once posted about the painting, and I thought it was time for some Bozart again...
http://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium/thread-1142.html?highlight=thomas+cole

Hi Eva, What do you mean by "Bozart?"

Here's a recent letter to the editor of the auburnpub.com by Marie C. Paulino and Richard G. Paulino.

"The third anniversary of the secretive removal of the Thomas Cole oil painting tilted "Portage Falls on the Genesee 1839," from the William H. Seward Museum is upon us. The plight to bring it back to its home on South Street is still unresolved in the courts and New York State Attorney General's Office.

"Our thoughts are the Fred L. Emerson Foundation had a special project agenda for about five years previous to the date of Feb. 21, 2013 when the painting was removed by them in the early hours...

"No one knows where the painting resides or the condition it is in. They replaced the empty space in a drawing room where it hung for decades with a reproduction, which we feel is an insult to Mr. William H. Seward and his descendants and his legacy."

"Marie Paulino is a former docent volunteer tour guide at William H. Seward Museum, and Richard Paulino is a former board member and volunteer"

RE: Stump the German - David Lockmiller - 03-02-2016 12:15 AM

(10-15-2015 06:07 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Kudos, Roger - you stumped me!!! I was sure this one would last a while!
Everett, who delivered the lenghry oration at Gettysburg, was granted the title at Göttingen University in 1817:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Everett
Roger, you should be given a PhD, too, for all your knowledge!!! However, you win my best wishes for the Cubs to continue to win-win-win!!!

Things have changes in Chicago. I hope that the Cubs fans don't go crazy!

RE: Stump the German - Eva Elisabeth - 03-02-2016 05:54 AM

(03-01-2016 03:25 PM)Linda Anderson Wrote:  Hi Eva, What do you mean by "Bozart?"
Thanks for the updated info, Linda! "Bozart" is supposed to mean "beaux arts".

RE: Stump the German - RJNorton - 03-02-2016 06:18 AM

(03-02-2016 12:15 AM)David Lockmiller Wrote:  Things have changes in Chicago. I hope that the Cubs fans don't go crazy!

David, it's a whole new world for us Cubs' fans. We are so used to losing that it seems impossible that the Cubs are the betting favorites to win the World Series. However, I read somewhere that for the past ten years the pre-season betting favorite had not won the Series a single time. So I am trying not to get TOO excited, but I can say that, unless there are a lot of injuries, this is the most talented Cubs' team in my lifetime.

RE: Stump the German - Wild Bill - 03-02-2016 08:53 AM

H L Mencken called the South the Sarah of the Bozart and it meant Beaux Artes or liberal arts

RE: Stump the German - L Verge - 03-02-2016 10:37 AM

Wasn't the term "Sahara" of the Bozart?

"In his essay he charged that the South was 'almost as sterile, artistically, intellectually, culturally, as the Sahara Desert.' 'In all that gargantuan paradise of the fourth-rate,' he contended, 'there is not a single picture gallery worth going into, or a single orchestra capable of playing the nine symphonies of Beethoven, or a single opera-house, or a single theater devoted to decent plays. 'Most southern poetry and prose was drivel, he charged, and 'when you come to critics, musical composers, painters, sculptors, architects and the like, you will have to give it up, for there is not even a bad one between the Potomac mud-flats and the Gulf.' Nor, Mencken added, a historian, sociologist, philosopher, theologian, or scientist.

"The essay, written in characteristic Menckenian hyperbole, suggested that the condition of the modern South was especially lamentable because the antebellum South, particularly Virginia, had been the seat of American civilization. Mencken attributed the decline of southern culture to the 'poor whites' who, he charged, had seized control of the South after the Civil War. Particularly to blame were the preachers and the politicians. What the South needed, he maintained, was a return to influence of a remnant of the old aristocracy.

"Mencken's 'Sahara' and other essays on the 'godawful South' attracted widespread attention in Dixie in the decade that followed. Traditional southerners denounced him as a 'modern Attila,' a 'miserable and uninformed wretch,' a 'bitter, prejudiced and ignorant critic of a great people.' But other southerners such as James Branch Cabell, Howard W. Odum, Gerald W. Johnson, Paul Green, Thomas Wolfe, and Wilbur J. Cash declared their agreement with the substance of the indictment.

"The Southern Literary Renaissance followed Mencken's "Sahara," and literary historians have suggested that Mencken shocked young southern writers into an awareness of southern literary poverty and thus played a seminal role in the revival of southern letters. But as important as Mencken's effect on southern literature was his effect on the general intellectual climate of the "progressive" South. Menckenism became, as the 1920s progressed, a cultural force, a school of thought for iconoclastic southerners." http://docsouth.unc.edu/southlit/mencken/bio.html

RE: Stump the German - Wild Bill - 03-02-2016 11:32 AM

OK. Not only can I not do math (see another thread) I cannot spell either.

RE: Stump the German - Linda Anderson - 03-02-2016 12:09 PM

Thank you all for your responses.

Mencken was quite controversial. Here's two more articles on him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._L._Mencken

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2002/12/mencken-americas-critic/378513/