Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Jerks in History - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Assassination (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Jerks in History (/thread-1307.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Jerks in History - Dave Taylor - 11-18-2013 10:27 PM

While I've never read any of the books in the series "Speaking Ill of the Dead: Jerks in History", I had to share that a couple recognizable faces are on two volumes for the series.

Booth is featured on the cover for "Jerks in Washington, D.C. History":
[Image: 513Rx0uxUrL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]

And Powell is slated to appear on the upcoming "Jerks in Florida History" edition:
[Image: 51bhDlXDKUL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]

It's certainly a creative name for a book series!

RE: Jerks in History - J. Beckert - 11-19-2013 08:20 AM

Makes me wonder who the other jerk is on the D.C. edition - Brooks or Sumner?

RE: Jerks in History - Rick Smith - 11-19-2013 11:08 AM

(11-19-2013 08:20 AM)J. Beckert Wrote:  Makes me wonder who the other jerk is on the D.C. edition - Brooks or Sumner?

That would be Sumner.

RE: Jerks in History - Gene C - 11-19-2013 11:18 AM

According to Chapter 7 of her book, it's both.

RE: Jerks in History - L Verge - 11-19-2013 11:37 AM

(11-19-2013 11:18 AM)Gene C Wrote:  According to Chapter 7 of her book, it's both.

Who is the jerk at the very top of the cover?

RE: Jerks in History - Gene C - 11-19-2013 11:48 AM

Supposed to be Aaron Burr

RE: Jerks in History - J. Beckert - 11-19-2013 12:46 PM

(11-19-2013 11:08 AM)Rick Smith Wrote:  That would be Sumner.

I knew you wouldn't be able to resist that one, son!

RE: Jerks in History - Rick Smith - 11-19-2013 01:28 PM

(11-19-2013 12:46 PM)J. Beckert Wrote:  

That's right, Son. I would have contributed to the Brooks Cane Gift Fund.

RE: Jerks in History - Jim Garrett - 11-19-2013 09:53 PM

(11-19-2013 01:28 PM)Rick Smith Wrote:  
(11-19-2013 12:46 PM)J. Beckert Wrote:  

That's right, Son. I would have contributed to the Brooks Cane Gift Fund.

I wonder where the cane is?

RE: Jerks in History - L Verge - 11-19-2013 10:30 PM

Or the many others that came pouring in to support Preston Brooks?

RE: Jerks in History - Rhatkinson - 11-21-2013 06:18 PM

Being from SC, we take odd state "pride" in Brooks' beating of Sumner. The cane he used is actually on display in the state museum in Columbia.

I do confess that I've always thought Brooks' comment to Sumner was eloquent for such a rude act. I run an office football pool and do a coverletter of sorts where I try to be funny. I wrote about this last year and though y'all make get a kick out of. Here is what I wrote:

"Sir, you have libeled South Carolina and my relative, and I have come to punish you for it."

And with those words, a well deserved ass beating commenced upon Sumner and his big Yankee mouth. Quick history lesson: In his (subsequently much regretted) speech, Sumner not only lambasted Brooks' cousin, Sen. Andrew Butler, on policy issues, but also rudely made fun of Butler's speech impediment (brought on by a recent stroke - real classy, *****). Brooks doesn't like rude behavior in a man; he won't tolerate it. However, being a gentleman, Brooks at first sought to accord satisfaction on the field of honor, but that plan became impossible when Brooks was advised (properly) by fellow S.C. Rep. Laurence Keitt that dueling was reserved only for gentlemen of equal social standing. Sumner, Rep. Keitt advised, was no gentleman; rather, he occupied "a lower social status comparable to that of a drunkard." You can see the bind Brooks was placed in. He was left with but one choice. [Side note: proud citizens of South Carolina may view the very cane Brooks tapped upon Sumner's head in a place of honor at the State Museum on Gervais Street]

RE: Jerks in History - Jim Garrett - 11-21-2013 06:26 PM

Heath, Didn't Mr. Brooks give that bully Sumner such a beating, he never really did recover?

RE: Jerks in History - J. Beckert - 11-21-2013 06:31 PM

I love it. In all seriousness though, what Sumner did had to addressed by Brooks due to the code of honor of the day. Sumner not only stepped over the line, he jumped over it. I'm sure it was a lesson learned not only for Sumner, but anyone within sight. Stephen Douglas saw it coming when he said during Sumner's tirade -"that damned fool will get himself killed by some other damned fool."

RE: Jerks in History - Rob Wick - 11-21-2013 06:54 PM

Sumner was viciously attacked by a slimeball who should have been horsewhipped himself. There was no honor in what Brooks did.

Best
Rob

RE: Jerks in History - Linda Anderson - 11-21-2013 07:21 PM

Here is the story of the caning.

http://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/history/minute/The_Caning_of_Senator_Charles_Sumner.htm

"May 22, 1856
The Caning of Senator Charles Sumner

"On May 22, 1856, the 'world's greatest deliberative body' became a combat zone. In one of the most dramatic and deeply ominous moments in the Senate's entire history, a member of the House of Representatives entered the Senate chamber and savagely beat a senator into unconsciousness.
"The inspiration for this clash came three days earlier when Senator Charles Sumner, a Massachusetts antislavery Republican, addressed the Senate on the explosive issue of whether Kansas should be admitted to the Union as a slave state or a free state. In his 'Crime Against Kansas' speech, Sumner identified two Democratic senators as the principal culprits in this crime—Stephen Douglas of Illinois and Andrew Butler of South Carolina. He characterized Douglas to his face as a 'noise-some, squat, and nameless animal . . . not a proper model for an American senator.' Andrew Butler, who was not present, received more elaborate treatment. Mocking the South Carolina senator's stance as a man of chivalry, the Massachusetts senator charged him with taking 'a mistress . . . who, though ugly to others, is always lovely to him; though polluted in the sight of the world, is chaste in his sight—I mean,' added Sumner, 'the harlot, Slavery.'
"Representative Preston Brooks was Butler's South Carolina kinsman. If he had believed Sumner to be a gentleman, he might have challenged him to a duel. Instead, he chose a light cane of the type used to discipline unruly dogs. Shortly after the Senate had adjourned for the day, Brooks entered the old chamber, where he found Sumner busily attaching his postal frank to copies of his 'Crime Against Kansas' speech.
"Moving quickly, Brooks slammed his metal-topped cane onto the unsuspecting Sumner's head. As Brooks struck again and again, Sumner rose and lurched blindly about the chamber, futilely attempting to protect himself. After a very long minute, it ended.
"Bleeding profusely, Sumner was carried away. Brooks walked calmly out of the chamber without being detained by the stunned onlookers. Overnight, both men became heroes in their respective regions.
"Surviving a House censure resolution, Brooks resigned, was immediately reelected, and soon thereafter died at age 37. Sumner recovered slowly and returned to the Senate, where he remained for another 18 years. The nation, suffering from the breakdown of reasoned discourse that this event symbolized, tumbled onward toward the catastrophe of civil war."