Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Civil War Book "Letters from a Shoebox" - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Books - over 15,000 to discuss (/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Civil War Book "Letters from a Shoebox" (/thread-1222.html)

Civil War Book "Letters from a Shoebox" - James Dohren - 10-15-2013 05:36 PM

"Letters from a Shoebox" by Jim Dohren is a compilation of letters from three soldiers and five young women who live in the soldiers' home town of New Cumberland, Ohio in the years 1862-1865. Two of the letter writers, John and David Huffman are school teacher brothers who enlist in the 85th IVI. The third soldier writer is Wm. Bowman, a 19-year old (possibly as young as 16) who enlists in the storied 126 OVI. He is captured at the Battle of the Wilderness and survives Libby and Andersonville Prisons. He writes a letter from the latter. The girl's and woman's letters are full of news of home, concerns for the boys in service and fascinating gossip. The author has included literal transcriptions of the 22 letters plus the results of his research and personal reflections. The book is available at Amazon or from Sunbury Press bookstore.

RE: Civil War Book "Letters from a Shoebox" - RJNorton - 10-15-2013 06:00 PM

James, thank you for telling us about your new book. It sounds fascinating.

RE: Civil War Book "Letters from a Shoebox" - BettyO - 10-15-2013 06:47 PM

You book sounds wonderful, James. Primary sources are the "ultimate" in research and are perfect for achieving a good viewpoint in how things really stood - this looks like a winner! I'll look for it -
thanks for posting!

RE: Civil War Book "Letters from a Shoebox" - L Verge - 10-15-2013 07:12 PM

Thanks for alerting us to your book, Mr. Dohren. I love "snooping" into the letters and thoughts of those who served during this era. You learn so much about what lives were like back then. Congratulations and best wishes for many sales of your work.

RE: Civil War Book "Letters from a Shoebox" - Gene C - 10-15-2013 08:42 PM

This looks very interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/Letters-Shoebox-Correspondence-Huffman-William/dp/1620062941/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1381883872&sr=1-2-fkmr1&keywords=letters+from+a+shoebox+james+dohren

RE: Civil War Book "Letters from a Shoebox" - LincolnMan - 10-15-2013 10:03 PM

Thanks James!

RE: Civil War Book "Letters from a Shoebox" - brtmchl - 10-16-2013 10:24 AM

James this looks great. I have always found that when history can be seen through personal experience there is a much more rewarding learning experience. I for one, when growing up, could hear numerous accounts of a specific subject; whether it was lectured or read, and walk away retaining portions of it. But, when a teacher read specific quotes or actual news and exerpts from diaries; those intimate moments always stayed with me.

RE: Civil War Book "Letters from a Shoebox" - GARY POPOLO - 10-16-2013 08:35 PM

(10-15-2013 05:36 PM)James Dohren Wrote:  "Letters from a Shoebox" by Jim Dohren is a compilation of letters from three soldiers and five young women who live in the soldiers' home town of New Cumberland, Ohio in the years 1862-1865. Two of the letter writers, John and David Huffman are school teacher brothers who enlist in the 85th IVI. The third soldier writer is Wm. Bowman, a 19-year old (possibly as young as 16) who enlists in the storied 126 OVI. He is captured at the Battle of the Wilderness and survives Libby and Andersonville Prisons. He writes a letter from the latter. The girl's and woman's letters are full of news of home, concerns for the boys in service and fascinating gossip. The author has included literal transcriptions of the 22 letters plus the results of his research and personal reflections. The book is available at Amazon or from Sunbury Press bookstore.
Congratulations on your book Mr. Dohren. Your book looks to be a very interesting read. I enjoy reading books that are told through the eyes of those who were there or relatives who were close to the actual people involved. I look forward to getting my copy. Thank you. Best Gary