Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Life of Lincoln - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Abraham Lincoln - The White House Years (/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Life of Lincoln (/thread-1196.html)

Life of Lincoln - Kieran McAuliffe - 09-30-2013 10:47 AM

How many of you remember Bishop Sheen? He was a most unlikely star of early television, giving a half hour religious talk every Sunday evening.
He gave a talk on the life of Abraham Lincoln in 1954.
You can access it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUdQFf0Ybm0
He does tend to present stories about Lincoln that do not stand up to modern research. Still, it is interesting.

RE: Life of Lincoln - Gene C - 09-30-2013 11:20 AM

I liked that, thanks for posting.

RE: Life of Lincoln - RJNorton - 09-30-2013 12:49 PM

(09-30-2013 10:47 AM)Kieran McAuliffe Wrote:  How many of you remember Bishop Sheen? He was a most unlikely star of early television, giving a half hour religious talk every Sunday evening.
He gave a talk on the life of Abraham Lincoln in 1954.
You can access it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUdQFf0Ybm0
He does tend to present stories about Lincoln that do not stand up to modern research. Still, it is interesting.

Many thanks for posting this, Kieran. Like Gene, I enjoyed it.

Regarding stories that may not stand up - I have read in many books that Lincoln went to Congress to defend Mary against the charge of being a spy. I can certainly understand why Bishop Sheen would include this. I think the story goes that the president appeared before the Congressional Committee on the Conduct of the War. However, I think many historians feel Lincoln never really appeared before the committee.

RE: Life of Lincoln - LincolnMan - 10-01-2013 06:57 AM

I have also heard that the incident never happened. Perhaps Sheen had read Sandburg's account of it in his Lincoln work.

RE: Life of Lincoln - Kieran McAuliffe - 10-01-2013 08:37 AM

(10-01-2013 06:57 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  I have also heard that the incident never happened. Perhaps Sheen had read Sandburg's account of it in his Lincoln work.

That is what I was thinking. In 1954 Sandburg’s Lincoln would have been the popular biography.

RE: Life of Lincoln - LincolnMan - 10-01-2013 10:24 AM

It was!

RE: Life of Lincoln - Gene C - 10-01-2013 10:41 AM

Did Lincoln really meet with the Committee on the Conduct of the War regarding Mary?

RE: Life of Lincoln - RJNorton - 10-01-2013 01:02 PM

(10-01-2013 10:41 AM)Gene C Wrote:  Did Lincoln really meet with the Committee on the Conduct of the War regarding Mary?

Like many highly-respected historians Ed Steers argues that it never happened. Ed writes about the topic in Lincoln Legends: Myths, Hoaxes, and Confabulations Associated with Our Greatest President here. Ed's conclusion: "Lincoln never appeared before the committee."

RE: Life of Lincoln - L Verge - 10-01-2013 04:50 PM

Perhaps he sent a representative in his stead??

RE: Life of Lincoln - Gene C - 10-01-2013 05:24 PM

If it happened the way I've read about it, if I was on that committee, I sure wouldn't want any record of the meeting.

RE: Life of Lincoln - Craig Hipkins - 10-14-2013 08:12 PM

Those early broadcasts of Fulton Sheen can be seen on EWTN. Thanks for posting this!

Craig