Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Looking for Louis A. Warren book - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Books - over 15,000 to discuss (/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Looking for Louis A. Warren book (/thread-1085.html)

Looking for Louis A. Warren book - Rob Wick - 08-03-2013 08:18 AM

I need some help from the good people here. Can you please keep an eye out for a cheap copy of Louis A. Warren's book Lincoln's Parentage and Childhood. I've found a number of copies, but nothing cheaper than $58 which is more than I'd like to pay. I was looking for a copy of William E. Barton's book The Lineage of Lincoln, and was able to find a copy on Ebay for $39.95 (on Alibris the cheapest was $100). If you see a copy of Warren's book that would be less than $40 (or even cheaper) and it's in decent shape, please let me know.

Thanks!

Best
Rob

RE: Looking for Louis A. Warren book - RJNorton - 08-03-2013 08:59 AM

Rob, I have copies of both books. If you simply want to use them for research I would be glad to lend them to you. Or are you looking for "permanent" copies? I can see I paid $50 for the Warren book many years ago; the Barton book has no price in it so I don't know what I paid for that. I've had that one for many years, too. Neither book is in great shape.

RE: Looking for Louis A. Warren book - Rob Wick - 08-03-2013 09:11 AM

Roger,

Thanks, and I may have to take you up on it later. I went ahead and bought the Barton book and I have access to Warren's book but I think I'm going to hold off for a while and hope one comes up for sale cheaper. Eventually I may have to bite the bullet and pay more than I want, but I'll keep your kind offer in mind.

Best
Rob

RE: Looking for Louis A. Warren book - Gene C - 08-03-2013 11:01 AM

Is it entirely different than his his book Lincoln's Youth?

Any one familiar with this book?

RE: Looking for Louis A. Warren book - Rob Wick - 08-03-2013 11:10 AM

Gene,

Lincoln's Youth covers the Indiana years. Lincoln's Parentage focuses on the Kentucky years.

Best
Rob

RE: Looking for Louis A. Warren book - Joe Di Cola - 08-03-2013 01:10 PM

Rob,

Let me know--I can bring Warren's "Kentucky years" book with me to Springfield--you can use it as long as you need.

Joe

RE: Looking for Louis A. Warren book - Rob Wick - 08-03-2013 02:10 PM

Thanks Joe. The only problem with borrowing books is that I usually mark in them (excepting library books, of course). I'm probably going to have to just not eat for a week and pick it up. Just don't tell my wife. Smile

Best
Rob

RE: Looking for Louis A. Warren book - Joe Di Cola - 08-03-2013 03:41 PM

(08-03-2013 02:10 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  Thanks Joe. The only problem with borrowing books is that I usually mark in them (excepting library books, of course). I'm probably going to have to just not eat for a week and pick it up. Just don't tell my wife. Smile

Best
Rob

I promise--my lips are sealed! I will observe "Omerta"!--the Sicilian code of silence.

RE: Looking for Louis A. Warren book - My Name Is Kate - 08-04-2013 02:49 AM

Here is a HC version that sold on Ebay recently, real cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lincolns-Parentage-and-Childhood-Louis-A-Warren-HB-Book-1926-/271207745339?pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item3f253dc73b&nma=true&si=vOXl9uRWRZKYdRB50mQVtDHF9DA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I'll keep a lookout for it.

RE: Looking for Louis A. Warren book - Rob Wick - 08-04-2013 07:37 AM

Except for the cracked binding, that looked like a reasonably good copy. I looked on Ebay yesterday but didn't see anything. I must have typed something in wrong. Thanks!

Best
Rob

RE: Looking for Louis A. Warren book - Rob Wick - 08-08-2013 07:29 PM

Well, I finally took the plunge and ordered the book. It still doesn't rank the highest I've ever spent for a single title, but it's in the top five. Sheesh.

Best
Rob