Lincoln Discussion Symposium
What did Mr. Lincoln enjoy doing? - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Abraham Lincoln before his Presidency (/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: What did Mr. Lincoln enjoy doing? (/thread-131.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: What did Mr. Lincoln enjoy doing? - Eva Elisabeth - 06-21-2013 05:40 PM

(06-21-2013 01:13 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Thanks, Donna. Here is a preliminary summary of the animals associated with the Lincolns:

Cats: Susan, Jane, and Tabby

Were the first two ones "Wite House cats", too? Were these the cats (kittens) Seward gave to Lincoln and his sons?

RE: What did Mr. Lincoln enjoy doing? - LincolnMan - 06-24-2013 07:48 AM

Alright guys-you all inspired this: I let my two dogs out in the backyard this morning (as always)-and after a bit they started going nuts-barking barking barking. I stuck my head out the back patio door to find----both dogs had cornered a possum in the yard. I promise I didn't kill and eat it. Interestingly enough, it show much concern over being confronted by the dogs-it just went its own way.

RE: What did Mr. Lincoln enjoy doing? - Donna McCreary - 06-24-2013 11:08 AM

(06-21-2013 05:40 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  
(06-21-2013 01:13 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Thanks, Donna. Here is a preliminary summary of the animals associated with the Lincolns:

Cats: Susan, Jane, and Tabby

Were the first two ones "Wite House cats", too? Were these the cats (kittens) Seward gave to Lincoln and his sons?

Susan and Jane were Springfield cats.

RE: What did Mr. Lincoln enjoy doing? - LincolnMan - 06-24-2013 03:49 PM

We at the Nash house just got a Cathoula puppy. I'm told Jim Bowie owned the breed. Fido, ever heard of the breed?

RE: What did Mr. Lincoln enjoy doing? - Gene C - 06-24-2013 04:34 PM

No I haven't, we want to see a photo!

RE: What did Mr. Lincoln enjoy doing? - LincolnMan - 06-24-2013 04:36 PM

Fido, we are at Pet Smart. We'll get a photo posted later this evening. Smile

RE: What did Mr. Lincoln enjoy doing? - LincolnMan - 06-24-2013 06:54 PM

[/align]URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/607/t3nz.jpg/][Image: t3nz.jpg][/URL]

Fido: Here is the new Nash girl. Her name is Marleigh!

RE: What did Mr. Lincoln enjoy doing? - Rob Wick - 06-24-2013 06:56 PM

Nice looking dog, Bill. Of course, you know what happened to another dog who spelled his name "Marley." Going to write a book on your adventures with this one? Smile

Best
Rob

RE: What did Mr. Lincoln enjoy doing? - LincolnMan - 06-24-2013 08:07 PM

The only adventures I want with this dog will be positive ones- hopefully!

RE: What did Mr. Lincoln enjoy doing? - Eva Elisabeth - 08-04-2013 04:55 PM

Although most of the Lincoln's White House pets are not mentioned, and even though I wonder if it's true that Buchanan owned elephants, this site is fun reading:
http://houseplansandmore.com/pets-who-have-called-the-white-house-home.html
Did you know Benjamin Harrisson had two opossums?

RE: What did Mr. Lincoln enjoy doing? - Wild Bill - 08-04-2013 04:59 PM

A Catahoula hound is very common in east Texas and Louisiana. There is even a parish (county) in Louisiana named this.

RE: What did Mr. Lincoln enjoy doing? - BettyO - 08-04-2013 06:23 PM

Bill -

Marleigh is beautiful! Love the color.... brown on brown! Did you get her from a breeder?

RE: What did Mr. Lincoln enjoy doing? - RJNorton - 08-05-2013 05:37 AM

(08-04-2013 04:55 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Did you know, Benjamin Harrisson had two opossums?

Eva, I don't think any president can top Calvin Coolidge. Quoting from the web page here:

"Calvin and Grace Coolidge literally had a zoo at the White House. Most famous and beloved was the white collie, purchased from Thomas and Olive Shover who owned "Shomont White Collies". They also entertained and cared for: Peter Pan, a Terrier, Paul Pry, an Airedale, that was originally named Laddie Buck. and Rob Roy, a white Collie, originally named Oshkosh. Also popular was Calamity Jane, a Shetland Sheepdog. Tiny Tim, a Chow, Blackberry, also a Chow, and Ruby Rough, a brown Collie. They also had Boston Beans, a bulldog, King Kole, a police dog, Bessie, a yellow collie, Palo Alto, a bird dog, and Nip and Tuck, canaries. Snowflake, was also a white canary and Old Bill was a thrush. Enoch, was a goose and they had a Mockingbird belonging to Mrs. Grace Coolidge. Finally there was Tiger, an alley cat, Blacky, another cat and Rebecca and Horace, raccoons. We must not forget Ebenezer, the donkey and Smokey, a bobcat. Given to them by dignitaries from other countries there was also: lion cubs, wallaby,a pigmy hippo, and a bear."

Billy, the pygmy hippo, lived at the National Zoo in Washington until his death in 1955.

RE: What did Mr. Lincoln enjoy doing? - Eva Elisabeth - 08-05-2013 06:13 AM

Incredible. Were (are) there no restrictions for the occupants? (I'm just thinking of how difficult it is to find an appartment for rent where you are allowed to keep even a little dog...)

RE: What did Mr. Lincoln enjoy doing? - J. Beckert - 08-05-2013 06:20 AM

http://carlanthonyonline.com/2012/01/25/animal-loving-grace-coolidge-and-her-famous-white-house-white-collie/

Quite a few photos of the Coolidge's pets.