Lincoln Discussion Symposium
New Lucy Lambert Hale pic? (picture heavy) - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Assassination (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: New Lucy Lambert Hale pic? (picture heavy) (/thread-357.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: New Lucy Lambert Hale pic? (picture heavy) - Hess1865 - 10-28-2012 08:42 PM

I would have liked to have read the letters from Booth she had burned after her death.

RE: New Lucy Lambert Hale pic? (picture heavy) - Sally - 12-10-2012 09:54 PM

This question is directed to Rsmyth who posted this:

[b]"BTW – In her diaries, Lucy often talks of a little dog she was quite fond of while living in Spain. Although we do not know where the picture was taken, it may have been from then."[/b]

I didn't realize Lucy Hale kept diaries. I know there are some of her mother's diaries in the special collections of the University of WI in Madison, but I didn't realize Lucy (the younger) also kept diaries. I have never seen them cited in any footnotes of any books I've read on this topic. Everything about her seems to be from second- or third-hand sources. Are the diaries not available to researchers and writers? Have her decendents chosen to keep them private? Have you seen them? They would be interesting to read; even if there was no mention of her relationship with JWB, they might give insight into the sort of person she was.

I have also uploaded another picture of a middle-aged Lucy and her husband. I found it in a biography of her husband called "William E. Chandler: Republican" by Leon Burr Richardson. I think it was published in the early 1940's. It's a political bio, so most of it is dry as Oklahoma in 1934. But there were some interesting parts.
[Image: thechandlers.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

RE: New Lucy Lambert Hale pic? (picture heavy) - Rsmyth - 12-11-2012 09:35 AM

Hello Sally,
Lucy,s relative informed me that the diaries are at the Woodman Institute (Lucy's home). I have not seen the diaries. When I visited to take pictures of the home and her grave down the street, the institute was closed. The diaries were discovered many years ago in a trunk in a home Lucy once lived in. The gentleman that discovered the trunk which also had Lucy letters in it recently passed away.

RE: New Lucy Lambert Hale pic? (picture heavy) - Laurie Verge - 12-11-2012 10:28 AM

I contacted the Woodman Institute a few months back about a questionable portrait of Lucy and received a quick and pleasant reply from a gentleman there (whose name I cannot remember, of course). I went online and got the contact, so you may want to persue that angle.