Journal of the Lincoln Assassination
06-12-2013, 02:32 PM
Journal of the Lincoln Assassination
Today I received my renewal notice for Fred Hatch's Journal of the Lincoln Assassination. I have been a subscriber for as long as I can remember. Fred is a member here and is also the author of Protecting President Lincoln: The Security Effort, the Thwarted Plots and the Disaster at Ford's Theatre. If interested in subscribing to Fred's journal the cost is $12 for one year and $20 for two years. The mailing address is:

Autograph Press
P.O. Box 2616
Waldorf, MD 20604
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2013, 07:07 PM
RE: Journal of the Lincoln Assassination
Roger, I got my notice too. Its always a great Journal full of interesting stuff-highly recommend.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-12-2013, 07:22 PM
Watch for a new book coming out soon, I hope, from Fred Hatch. He analyzes the military trial of the conspirators. He has also started work on a book about John Surratt, Jr.
06-13-2013, 03:45 PM
(06-12-2013 02:32 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Today I received my renewal notice for Fred Hatch's Journal of the Lincoln Assassination. I have been a subscriber for as long as I can remember. Fred is a member here and is also the author of Protecting President Lincoln: The Security Effort, the Thwarted Plots and the Disaster at Ford's Theatre. If interested in subscribing to Fred's journal the cost is $12 for one year and $20 for two years. The mailing address is:

Autograph Press
P.O. Box 2616
Waldorf, MD 20604

Roger, Thank you for the information on the Fred's journal. I don't know anything about Mr. Fred's journal but it sounds like something I could enjoy. I will get a check out A.S.A.P.. Thanks for the info! Best Gary
06-13-2013, 05:06 PM
Gary,

It's nice to see you posting again. I thought yesterday that I missed you and Jim Page. Now that you have checked in, I'll go in search of Jim to make sure he's okay.
06-14-2013, 06:29 AM
(06-13-2013 05:06 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Gary,

It's nice to see you posting again. I thought yesterday that I missed you and Jim Page. Now that you have checked in, I'll go in search of Jim to make sure he's okay.

I will tell Jim he's missed. I usually touch base with Jim about once a week. We also share an interest (for JP, a passion for guitars) Rolleyes
06-18-2013, 12:39 PM
Funny, I had saved the envelope that was mailed to me from Fred_and noticed he used an Emancipation Proclamation forever stamp on it. I didn't know there was such a stamp. I'm on the way to the post office!

Bill Nash
06-22-2013, 04:28 PM
The 2013 edition arrived today; as usual it has lots of information. Included is perhaps the most complete list I have ever seen of those present at the Petersen House (during at least some part of the night). Also, there is a nice review of Jim and Rich's new book. Among other things, Fred Hatch writes, "This is an unusual book, and a very welcome addition to those books which give us background information on the people associated with the Lincoln assassination, both the perpetrators and innocent parties."
06-24-2013, 06:14 PM
Just read the article by Frederick Hatch "Booth on April 14, 1865"- a great synopsis!
It struck me that Mrs. Grant and Booth ran across each other twice on that eventful day. The first event was at the Willard Hotel. The article says Mrs. Grant and her son Jesse were having lunch "and were disturbed by Booth staring at them." The second meeting occurred later that day when Booth rode his horse up to the coach containing the Grants-and looked in to confirm that it was, indeed, them. I wonder if Mrs. Grant thought about those two Booth sightings on that day. Did it haunt her?
Thanks Fred for the informative article.

Bill Nash
06-25-2013, 05:17 AM
Good observation, Bill. I think she was quite unnerved. In her memoirs, Julia Grant wrote, "Afterwards, as General Grant and I rode to the depot, this same dark, pale man rode past us at a sweeping gallop on a dark horse - black, I think. He rode twenty yards ahead of us, wheeled and returned, and as he passed us both going and returning, he thrust his face quite near the General's and glared in a disagreeable manner.' Mrs. Ruckner said, 'General, everyone wants to see you.' Grant replied, 'Yes, but I do not care for such glances. They are not friendly.' "

The "Booth stare" reminded me of a previous incident. When the Lincolns saw Booth in "The Marble Heart" at Ford's Theatre on November 9, 1863, they were accompanied by several people. Among these people was Mary B. Clay, a daughter of Cassius Clay, U.S. minister to Russia. Mary Clay reminisced about the evening as follows: "In the theater President and Mrs. Lincoln, Miss Sallie Clay and I, Mr. Nicolay and Mr. Hay, occupied the same box which the year after saw Mr. Lincoln slain by Booth. I do not recall the play, but Wilkes Booth played the part of villain. The box was right on the stage, with a railing around it. Mr. Lincoln sat next to the rail, I next to Mrs. Lincoln, Miss Sallie Clay and the other gentlemen farther around. Twice Booth in uttering disagreeable threats in the play came very near and put his finger close to Mr. Lincoln's face; when he came a third time I was impressed by it, and said, 'Mr. Lincoln, he looks as if he meant that for you.' 'Well,' he said, 'he does look pretty sharp at me, doesn't he?'

Mary Clay, in her reminiscence, was off by a year when she said "the year after saw Mr. Lincoln slain by Booth."
06-25-2013, 07:21 AM
Wow, that third account is also very chilling. It seems to me that Booth could barely contain his animosity. He really was a "time-bomb," wasn't he?

Bill Nash
08-03-2013, 01:43 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2013 01:54 PM by Frederick Hatch.)
(06-12-2013 02:32 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Today I received my renewal notice for Fred Hatch's Journal of the Lincoln Assassination. I have been a subscriber for as long as I can remember. Fred is a member here and is also the author of Protecting President Lincoln: The Security Effort, the Thwarted Plots and the Disaster at Ford's Theatre. If interested in subscribing to Fred's journal the cost is $12 for one year and $20 for two years. The mailing address is:

Autograph Press
P.O. Box 2616
Waldorf, MD 20604

Roger: Thank you and all others who have said such nice things about the Journal of the Lincoln Assassination. Now in its 27th year of publication, we're still going strong. When I began the magazine, I thought there wasn't much new to say about the subject, and that most people probably agreed with the usual version of events. I soon discovered that those assumptions were false. I am always glad to find out about things previously unknown to me, or to entertain new ideas and/or opinions about known information. This can come from anywhere, and sometimes you will run into something significant when you are looking for something else entirely. Sometimes I wake up in the night and have an idea for an article, or some area of research, or a question for myself about something I thought I already knew about. James O. Hall told me that after more than forty years of investigation, he did not feel that he had all the answers, and if he could say that after all that he had done, the rest of us must be prepared to admit the same. New subscribers are always welcome, and I try to keep each issue interesting, no matter what your degree of interest or expertise might be in our subject. I also encourage letters expressing ideas, opinions, questions, about anything relating to the magazine or our subject in general. Thanks again for all the support and encouragement I have received for more than thirty years. Fred Hatch
06-03-2016, 12:08 PM
Roger mentioned this on another thread. I'm interested in subscribing--are the price and the mailing address still the same?
06-03-2016, 12:46 PM
The only thing that has changed is his rate of publication. It used to be quarterly, but he produces only one per year now. Still at $12, I believe.
06-03-2016, 01:13 PM
Thanks, Laurie!