The origins of Memorial Day
05-26-2013, 12:43 PM
The origins of Memorial Day
I hate to see anything lose it's true meaning, be it Christmas or Memorial Day. It seems as if to some folks it's become National BBQ Day. I think it's a solemn time and reflection on the sacrifices of those who paid the ultimate price for our freedom should be foremost in our minds.

I was wondering about the origins of the day. I think it was mentioned here some time ago that this began in the South as Decoration Day. A day when the graves of veterans would be cleaned up and decorated with flowers. Am I correct?

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-26-2013, 02:24 PM
RE: The origins of Memorial Day
This seems to me to be the most accurate.

Best
Rob

http://www.usmemorialday.org/backgrnd.html

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
05-26-2013, 03:12 PM (This post was last modified: 05-26-2013 03:14 PM by LincolnMan.)
Thanks for posting this thread as its important to know and remember the "reason for the season"- we say about another special time in the year. May we all take a moment to be thankful for our freedoms and for all those who have served, are serving, and will serve in uniform-to keep our freedoms.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-26-2013, 04:50 PM (This post was last modified: 05-26-2013 04:56 PM by L Verge.)
I'm sitting here feeling a little nostalgic and quite a bit guilty. We have a small family cemetery, and my father is the only veteran buried there (having served in the military for twenty-six years through both WWII and Korea). Every year since his death in 1979, my mother and I and my daughter would visit his grave and place peonies from our yards and a small American flag at his marker.

My mother passed away in 2009, but my daughter and grandson did it until this year. They were away for a wedding event, and my knees just could not make the trip. I did remember to tell him that I love him and to thank him for his service to our country.

If you are like me and enjoy first-hand accounts, go to this site: http://www.civilwarcenter.olemiss.edu/me..._day.shtml
05-26-2013, 11:35 PM
(05-26-2013 04:50 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I'm sitting here feeling a little nostalgic and quite a bit guilty. We have a small family cemetery, and my father is the only veteran buried there (having served in the military for twenty-six years through both WWII and Korea). Every year since his death in 1979, my mother and I and my daughter would visit his grave and place peonies from our yards and a small American flag at his marker.

My mother passed away in 2009, but my daughter and grandson did it until this year. They were away for a wedding event, and my knees just could not make the trip. I did remember to tell him that I love him and to thank him for his service to our country.

If you are like me and enjoy first-hand accounts, go to this site: http://www.civilwarcenter.olemiss.edu/me..._day.shtml
Let's don't forget Columbus, MS.
http://www1.va.gov/opa/speceven/memday/history.asp

Danny West
05-27-2013, 10:41 AM (This post was last modified: 05-27-2013 10:42 AM by BettyO.)
Happy Decoration Day (Memorial Day) to all..... Supposedly it all began at Hollywood Cemetery in 1866 when Confederate widows and daughters decorated the graves of the dead in Richmond - or at least that is what I heard....

A friend went to the dedication services at Fredericksburg National Memorial Cemetery this year and sent this spectacular photo of the full moon rising over the cemetery with the luminaries lit. The spaces in between are where people are standing and blocking the view. Myself and friends are planning on going back next year for this wonderful event -

[Image: moonlitsceneoffrederick.jpg]

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
05-27-2013, 01:17 PM
What a great photo. Reminds me of the luminaries at Antietam.

Somewhere in the back of my mind, I am remembering reading about a group of free black ladies marking Union graves in the South while the war was still going on. Has anyone else seen that?
05-27-2013, 01:22 PM
This Republic of Suffering?

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
05-27-2013, 04:14 PM
Yes, I believe it was This Republic of Suffering.

Bill Nash
05-27-2013, 06:58 PM
By jove! You've got it! I have never read the book, but I saw an excerpt from it a few years ago, and it mentioned the black community of Charleston preparing graves for Union soldiers who had died as prisoners there. Thank you, my fair gentlemen.

It also reminds me to ask our gift shop manager to order the book for next year's programming at Surratt House. We will be focusing on Life on the Home Front, and one segment will include draping Surratt House in mourning. This book would be an excellent accompaniment.
05-27-2013, 07:00 PM
You won't be sorry about the book Laurie- it's outstanding.

Bill Nash
05-23-2014, 05:52 PM
Memorial Day 2014 is upon us. May we take time to remember those gave all...

Bill Nash
05-23-2014, 07:52 PM (This post was last modified: 05-23-2014 08:03 PM by BettyO.)
Agreed! We all need to reflect on what this day is about....of all veterans from all wars....

I love this old Magazine cover - I think it says it all -

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
05-24-2014, 05:46 AM
(05-26-2013 03:12 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  May we all take a moment to be thankful for our freedoms and for all those who have served, are serving, and will serve in uniform-to keep our freedoms.

Bill, you put it so well! Thank you.
05-24-2014, 10:09 AM
Memorial Day has always been special to me because of, family and friends who sacrificed for us to have the lifestyle as we now know it!My great-grandfather was a Civil War Pow in Texas.My uncle died as a "Waist Gunner"in WW2 in a B-24.-Herb