Is there a list of the best Lincoln Assassination Consp. books for our library?
05-22-2013, 05:17 PM
I have asked our public library to order Betty's and they have several, but not that many.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-22-2013, 07:08 PM (This post was last modified: 05-22-2013 07:08 PM by Gene C.)
RE: Is there a list of the best Lincoln Assassination Consp. books
Check the "Books - Over 15,000 To Discuss" category. (4th page - Book Recommendations) & (What are your Top 5 Lincoln Books)

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
05-22-2013, 08:14 PM
list of the best Lincoln Assassination Consp. books
Thank you, Gene!
05-22-2013, 08:26 PM
a list of the best Lincoln Assassination Consp. books for our library?
I don't remember the books on our Forum's list but I'm sure Blood On The Moon by Ed Steers must be on it- a must-have.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-22-2013, 08:53 PM
Agreed about Blood..., also American Brutus, Manhunt, Lincoln Murder Conspiracies, Come Retribution, My Thoughts Be Bloody, Sic Semper Tyrannis, The Great American Myth, Lust for Fame, and others that can be found on the Surratt website (if it happens to be alive that day) and purchased from the Surratt House. If they contact me at the museum, I can give them a 15% discount as a courtesy for educational purposes.
05-22-2013, 09:35 PM
a list of the best Lincoln Assassination Conspiracy books for our library?
Amen Laurie!

Bill Nash
05-22-2013, 10:25 PM
My favorites are
The Lincoln Conspiracy by David Balsiger
Why Lilncoln was Murdered by Otto Eisenschiml
The Lincoln Murder Conspiracies by William Hanchett
Lincoln, Davis, and Booth: family secrets by Troy Cowan
05-23-2013, 12:04 AM
Troy, Is there a specific book that your name suggest we should read, and why do you recommend it?

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
05-24-2013, 10:14 PM
(05-23-2013 12:04 AM)Gene C Wrote:  Troy, Is there a specific book that your name suggest we should read, and why do you recommend it?

There are those, like myself, that believe there was a government conspiracy to kill Lincoln, and John Wilkes Booth only played a part. If there was a government conspiracy, those government officials got away with the crime and are now dead and cannot be prosecuted. Any narratives that tell of their involvement must be classified as a theory. If you wish to read a theory, I suggest my book--Lincoln, Davis, and Booth: family secrets.
It tells of the involvement of Stanton, Andrew Johnson, Lafayette Baker, Thomas Eckert, James Boyd, and John Wilkes Booth. These are in the author's opinion the true conspirators.
I would recommend this book because it gives the statements of the following people and it is a good place for the curious to gain information from the source.
General Grants statement for the reason he did not attend the theatre.
Theodore Rhodes statement that he was with Ed Spangler when he installed the wood brace at the theatre door.
Sergeant Gleason's statement of Weichmann and Surratt's involvement.
George Atzerodt statement that he could not kill.
Lieutenant David Dana's statement that Booth spent the day of April 14, 1865 in the guardhouse.
Frances Burns tells that he was called away from the Theatre door by Charles Forbes and John Parker.
Thomas Eckert's statement on the disruption of the telegraph line after the assassination.
Major Rathbone's Statement on the events of April 14, 1865.
Dr. Mudd's statement that Booth's broken leg was a minor break.
Edward Doherty's statement of the events at Garrett's barn.
William Garrett's statement of the events a their home.
And many more.
05-24-2013, 11:40 PM
RE: Lincoln assassination books
William Garrett gave two known accounts about his family's encounter with Booth. One was in May of 1865 when he and Jack were still imprisoned in Washington. The other was in 1920 when William recounted the events for Confederate Veteran Magazine. In both of these accounts, Will, like every single Garrett family member, has no doubt that Booth was the man shot in their barn.

The fictional account that W.P. Campbell used in his book, The Wanderings of J. Wilkes Booth, from which you have clearly duplicated in your book, is not from William Garrett. It is actually a letter written by man named W. P. Carneal, who was postmaster of Lent, VA in 1922. Though Campbell's book claims that this account in his book is signed by William Garrett, this is not the case. I have seen the original letter in the Swaim collection in Georgetown. It is signed by W. P. Carneal and no one else. The letter Carneal sent in response to Campbell's inquiries was a complete fabrication that couldn't even get the detail of Herold not coming to the house until the next day right.

I'm defensive when it comes to my Garretts, and can't sit idly by while their names are used to expound the crack pot theory that they all knew to be nonsense. Richard Baynham Garrett said it best, "God never made two men as exactly alike as that dead man and the one whose photograph there could be no doubt was Booth's. Point by point the printed description held in the detective's hand was followed out. Height, color of hair and eyes, every scar and mark tallied exactly..."

John Wilkes Booth died on the Garrett porch on the morning of April 26th, 1865.
05-25-2013, 01:18 AM
Dave you said, "Campbell's inquiries was a complete fabrication that couldn't even get the detail of Herold not coming to the house until the next day right."

That is an important point. David Harold went to Bowling Green to buy Booth a pair of shoes and was to rejoin Booth the next day. So it seems that he did get it right. Several other people said similar things. Captain Willie Jett said, "Herold went on to Mrs. Clark's about three miles from bowling Green remained there all night and next day returned to Garrett's."

On problem I have is that when people make more than one statement, they are often different. I tend to view with caution statements made under duress, such as when one is under the thumb of Edwin Stanton.
05-25-2013, 01:22 AM
Thanks everyone!! Laurie, thanks for the discount offer for our library, too!

I'll talk to the business office on Tuesday.
05-25-2013, 04:55 AM
(05-22-2013 10:25 PM)Troy Cowan Wrote:  My favorites are

Troy, based on the beliefs you have stated, I understand when you cite The Lincoln Conspiracy, Why Was Lincoln Murdered, and Lincoln, Davis, and Booth: family secrets.

But, why then do you also include Dr. Hanchett's book in your list of favorites?
05-25-2013, 09:42 AM
RE: Is there a list of the best Lincoln Assassination Consp. books for our library?
(05-25-2013 01:18 AM)Troy Cowan Wrote:  Dave you said, "Campbell's inquiries was a complete fabrication that couldn't even get the detail of Herold not coming to the house until the next day right."

That is an important point. David Harold went to Bowling Green to buy Booth a pair of shoes and was to rejoin Booth the next day. So it seems that he did get it right. Several other people said similar things. Captain Willie Jett said, "Herold went on to Mrs. Clark's about three miles from bowling Green remained there all night and next day returned to Garrett's

Troy, what I wrote was, "The letter Carneal sent in response to Campbell's inquiries was a complete fabrication that couldn't even get the detail of Herold not coming to the house until the next day right."

I was talking about how the letter from Carneal, the so called William Garrett account, does not get this obvious detail right. As you pointed out Willie Jett and everyone else with knowledge in the matter, talked about how Herold didn't come to the Garrett's until the second day. Carneal didn't know this when he was writing his letter. The two other true William Garrett accounts, and all the other accounts from the Garretts, get this right. Hence my point, the Carneal letter is not an account from William Garrett. Carneal wanted to support Campbell in his escape theory idea and wrote a letter in that regard. With William Garrett dead with no way to counter this lie, Campbell published as a first hand account which it was not.

Like most escape theorists, Carneal and Campbell lied and twisted the truth to attempt to prove their points. Campbell knew full well that Herold didn't come to the Garrett's at the same time as Booth, but included this inaccurate and ultimately forged account because part of it fit his theory.
05-25-2013, 11:20 AM (This post was last modified: 05-25-2013 12:11 PM by Troy Cowan.)
RE: Is there a list of the best Lincoln Assassination Consp. books for our library?
(05-25-2013 04:55 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(05-22-2013 10:25 PM)Troy Cowan Wrote:  My favorites are

Troy, based on the beliefs you have stated, I understand when you cite The Lincoln Conspiracy, Why Was Lincoln Murdered, and Lincoln, Davis, and Booth: family secrets.

But, why then do you also include Dr. Hanchett's book in your list of favorites?

After 150 years, question about who was involved in Lincoln's assassination are still debated. People seeking the truth may travel a different path. Until the truth is known with certainty the work done by others must be appreciated.

Dave,
It is my understanding that William Garrett gave a statement transcribed by another and witnessed by a neutral third party. I don't have a problem with it.

Dave, with your clarification, I now believe that we agree that Davis Herold arrived at the Garrett's farm the day after Booth's arrival.
You went on to say--
"I was talking about how the letter from Carneal, the so called William Garrett account, does not get this obvious detail right. As you pointed out Willie Jett and everyone else with knowledge in the matter, talked about how Herold didn't come to the Garrett's until the second day. Carneal didn't know this when he was writing his letter. The two other true William Garrett accounts, and all the other accounts from the Garretts, get this right. Hence my point, the Carneal letter is not an account from William Garrett. Carneal wanted to support Campbell in his escape theory idea and wrote a letter in that regard."

Lets take a closer look at that letter. Words in ( ) are mine. From the disputed William Garrett statement we read--

One evening a while before dark, a couple of men on horseback and in Confederate uniforms came to our place, having with them another young man who had no uniform but had a sore leg. (Bainbridge, Ruggles, and Booth. No mention of Herold.)

The next evening when the crippled man was in the front yard on the grass the two cavalry men came up as fast as they could, said something about they must get to the woods, so one of them took the crippled man on the horse and they started toward the heavy woods this side of the Port. (Booth left and did not return, still no mention of Herold)

That night brother Jack and I kept awake much of the time thinking the men might come back, and father told us not to let any more strangers stay there. A while before day when it was as dark as charcoal outside I heard someone tap on the back door. I crawled out of bed without making any fuss because I didn’t want to wake father and mother who were asleep upstairs. So I opened the door but it was so dark I could only see that there were two of them and one was larger (Boyd) and seemingly older by his voice, but the younger one (Herold) done most of the talking. He said they had come a long ways on foot and was going to some court house but was too tired to go any farther without rest, and they wanted a place to stay. I told them father didn’t want to let any strangers stay there, but if they would be careful and not wake the folks they could stay awhile. They said as they might want to leave at any moment they would prefer some outhouse or crib, so they could go there without disturbing the “old folks” as they called them. I told Jack to not for anything wake father and mother and the men would be gone so they needn’t know they had stayed there. So I showed the strangers to the crib. It was so dark you could not see your hand before you, but I knew the place so well I found the crib door and let them go in where there was hay and cornstalk blades for them to rest on.

Dave, it seems to me that everyone is in agreement that Herold arrived the day after Booth arrived. When you say that this Garrett account does not get this obvious detail right, I must disagree.