National Theater and the Arsenal
05-20-2013, 02:08 PM
National Theater and the Arsenal
I found these photos in a new book I bought called "Capital Losses". The first is the National taken in the 1880's:

This next one was taken from the recently completed Washington Monument and overlooks the 14th St. bridge with the Arsenal in the background. I took a modern view of the same photo for comparison:

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Quote this message in a reply
05-20-2013, 02:43 PM
RE: National Theater and the Arsenal
Is this a new edition of Capital Losses, or did you find a copy of the one done over twenty years ago? In either case, this is a wonderful book and don't let it out of your sight.
Find all posts by this user
05-20-2013, 03:07 PM
What is the book about?

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
05-20-2013, 03:56 PM
(05-20-2013 02:43 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Is this a new edition of Capital Losses, or did you find a copy of the one done over twenty years ago? In either case, this is a wonderful book and don't let it out of your sight.

It is a 2003 edition and covers a whole slew of sites and homes/buildings in DC that have been lost or altered. Here's the cover:

It has all kinds of interesting photos from the Civil War era. Here's one taken from the Washington Monument looking down Virginia Ave towards Georgetown and a modern day view of the same. Pretty interesting:

05-20-2013, 04:59 PM
It's a great book with lots of great pictures.
05-20-2013, 05:44 PM
Agreed, Jim and Laurie!

Hang onto that book, Heath - it's definitely a keeper!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
05-21-2013, 06:39 AM
Roger Powell (ranger at Ford's) has loaned me the book. It is slightly smaller than a medium size crate! It is jammed with terrific information on sites in Washington that have gone by the wayside. Roger has been kind enough to give me no time restraints. Places you would not normally think of are in this book. I have been mining this information for another Rich/Jim project.