My vote for most outrageous TV episode
05-09-2013, 07:35 PM
My vote for most outrageous TV episode
I just finished watching another episode of the 1960s TV series "The Rifleman" with Chuck Conners. This episode opens with Lucas and Mark McCain having dinner with Abraham Lincoln. (For those that are not familiar with the series, its time frame is the late 1870s in the Western part of the United States - the city of North Fork. Also, this Abe is a man whom has a complex that makes him think he is actually Abraham Lincoln!)

At any rate, Lucas takes Abe into town to visit. Abe goes into the saloon for a drink of water. The other saloon customers say their hellos to Abe. One man is a southern sympathizer and he claims to be John Wilkes Booth! Imagine that!!! Of course, Booth still wants to kill Lincoln. However, as in most episodes, Lucas comes to the rescue in the end.

Rick Brown
HistoryBuff.com
A Nonprofit Organization
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2013, 07:42 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2013 07:43 PM by BettyO.)
RE: My vote for most outrageous TV episode
My question....why and how is "Lincoln" still perceived by others in the saloon as alive in the 1870s?!?

I vaguely remember that show when I was a very small kid....but I don't remember paying much attention to it.

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
05-09-2013, 08:05 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2013 08:09 PM by Gene C.)
I'm holding out for the season finale of "Keeping up with the Kardashians".
In this season finale Abraham Lincoln bumps into Khloe and Kourntney' at their fashionalbe Beverly Hills boutique.
They help the President with his selection of birthday gifts for Mary, a Kim Kardashian make-up trowel, the Kim Kardashian Buns of Steel DVD, and some gloves.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
05-09-2013, 08:10 PM
(05-09-2013 08:05 PM)Gene C Wrote:  I'm holding out for the season finale of "Keeping up with the Kardashians".
In this season finale Abraham Lincoln bumps into Kim and Kourntney's at their fashionalbe Beverly Hills boutique.
They help the President with his selection of birthday gifts for Mary, a Kim Kardashian make-up trowel, the Kim Kardashian Buns of Steel DVD, and some gloves.

Lots and Lots of gloves. Mary really had a thing for gloves!
05-09-2013, 08:57 PM
OMG - I thought for sure that I would never see the Kardashians mentioned on this fine forum. You have now destroyed my hopes of ever escaping these wannabe celebrities. I survived the Paris Hilton days; I guess I can survive these gals. Maybe Kim will never get her figure back after the birth of her love child, and the cameras will go chase someone else.
05-09-2013, 09:05 PM
(05-09-2013 08:57 PM)L Verge Wrote:  OMG - I thought for sure that I would never see the Kardashians mentioned on this fine forum. You have now destroyed my hopes of ever escaping these wannabe celebrities. I survived the Paris Hilton days; I guess I can survive these gals. Maybe Kim will never get her figure back after the birth of her love child, and the cameras will go chase someone else.

I never mentioned the "K" word, I only mentioned gloves! It's all what's-his-names fault!

I do have to agree, we have sunk to a new low.
05-09-2013, 09:08 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2013 09:38 PM by Gene C.)
At least I didn't mention Honey Boo Boo. Oops!

At least the K show has some redeeming qualities. It shows not to put your values on material things.
You can have everything going for you, money, looks, fame, but it doesn't make you a better person. Considering all the things they have going for them, they don't have much going for them.

Also shows how shallow one can become without the positive influence of a "good" dog -- Fido

05-09-2013, 09:53 PM
(05-09-2013 07:42 PM)BettyO Wrote:  My question....why and how is "Lincoln" still perceived by others in the saloon as alive in the 1870s?!?

They were probably 'humoring' the poor guy.
I remember the episode well.

One of my strangest tv one was on the Simpsons.
Homer is daydreming, and all of a sudden you see Lincoln at Fords theater.
The door opens, and Booth walks in with his gun out, ready to shoot.
Suddenly Homer appears, and hits JWB, saving Abe.
End of story??
Not quite.
Later on in the episode, Homer daydreams again.
Suddenly you see Dealy Plaza, JFK's car, and the School Book Depository.
Oswald is aiming his rifle, when all of a sudden Homer and Lincoln pop up, and they both beat the heck out of Oswald, saving JFK's life.
I was on the floor laughing the first time I ever saw this!!Big Grin
Maybe its on Youtube,and its worth a look!
05-10-2013, 12:29 AM
(05-09-2013 09:53 PM)Hess1865 Wrote:  [quote='BettyO' pid='18048' dateline='1368142940']
My question....why and how is "Lincoln" still perceived by others in the saloon as alive in the 1870s?!?

The man only thought he was Abraham Lincoln - e.g. Napoleon complex. Since the man who thought he was Abe was nice to everyone, the residents of North Fork played along with him and did not contradict him or his identity.

The only southern sympathizer in the saloon, he did not actually think of himself as being Booth, he only made the claim to rattle the man who thought he was Abe.

Rick Brown
HistoryBuff.com
A Nonprofit Organization
05-10-2013, 01:03 AM
Okay, these are from Family Guy. They're pretty tame by Family Guy standards, but you should probably still click at your own risk...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yTSvnvNCUbE

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hC-oCcHMl7k

"The interment of John Booth was without trickery or stealth, but no barriers of evidence, no limits of reason ever halted the Great American Myth." - George S. Bryan, The Great American Myth
05-10-2013, 04:47 AM
(05-09-2013 07:35 PM)historybuff22 Wrote:  I just finished watching another episode of the 1960s TV series "The Rifleman" with Chuck Conners. This episode opens with Lucas and Mark McCain having dinner with Abraham Lincoln. (For those that are not familiar with the series, its time frame is the late 1870s in the Western part of the United States - the city of North Fork. Also, this Abe is a man whom has a complex that makes him think he is actually Abraham Lincoln!)

At any rate, Lucas takes Abe into town to visit. Abe goes into the saloon for a drink of water. The other saloon customers say their hellos to Abe. One man is a southern sympathizer and he claims to be John Wilkes Booth! Imagine that!!! Of course, Booth still wants to kill Lincoln. However, as in most episodes, Lucas comes to the rescue in the end.

Rick Brown
HistoryBuff.com
A Nonprofit Organization

Here are some screenshots from the episode:

[Image: honest_abe1.JPG]

[Image: honest_abe2.JPG]

[Image: honest_abe3.JPG]

[Image: honest_abe4.JPG]

[Image: honest_abe5.JPG]

[Image: honest_abe6.JPG]
05-10-2013, 10:42 PM
How about 1950's Westerns depicting John Surratt?

In a "Bat Masterson" episode Bat[Gene Barry] is enlisted by Surratt's beautiful niece, Lynne Surratt,-and I thought Issac was childless-to find her missing uncle. It turns out that John Surratt has conspired to fake his own death. Masterson apprehends Surratt and hands him over to the sheriff -I guess it's against the law in this jurisdiction to fake your own death.

The episode concludes with Bat saying that John Surratt will now have to clear up all the mysteries surrounding the Lincoln Assassination. But the show abruptly ends before he does so.

In a "Have Gun Will Travel" episode our hero Paladin[Richard Boone} encounters a middle aged John Surratt just a few years after the War. Surratt's beautiful young wife lusts after Paladin who manfully resists her allures. The jealous John Surratt tries to shoot Paladin who kills him in self defense.

It seems very unimaginative to have encounters with John Surratt and not have him reveal everything. If I met Surratt and he did not tell all,I would be prepared to go to extreme lengths to make him do so. I haven't decided whether to resort to tickling with a feather,water boarding or making him listen to Tiny Tim records.Smile
Tom
05-10-2013, 10:54 PM
Straying from the topic, but I loved Chuck Connors as a kid. He was the all-around complete hero--a WWII vet, played basketball with the Boston Celtics, baseball with the Brooklyn Dodgers and Chicago Cubs, starred as a great father to his son in The Rifleman.
05-11-2013, 12:11 AM
I used to have 'The Rifleman' toy gun!!!
Wonder what it would be worth today....
05-11-2013, 08:46 AM
Roger, those were great stills, Tom, you helped bring back some good memories.
It's a shame our kids are culturally deprived of such high quality TV shows that re-enforce good values and morals

Remember a show from the 60's called the Time Tunnel? There was one episode where our heroes arrive in Baltimore to prevent Lincoln's assassination, and another episode where they show up in the middle of the Battle of Gettysburg. It was a good idea for a show, but the didn't always get their facts straight.

Wikipedia has a good article about the show .... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Time_Tunnel