21 April - last night in Maryland
04-21-2013, 11:05 PM
21 April - last night in Maryland
As all on here know, 148 years ago, Booth and Herold were spending their last night of freedom in the state of Maryland. Having seen the width of the Potomac with my own eyes on the Surratt tour yesterday, I can't imagine the angst that Booth and Davey must have surely felt when lying down on the ground staring out at the Virginia coast at precisely this time all those years ago. One can only imagine what all was going through his mind.

Thanks again to Julie, Bob, and all the folks associated with the Surratt tour. My day began in a car driving from DC to the Surratt house at 6:30 am and ended when I pulled back into my driveway in SC at 1:30 am. My brother Josh and I calculated that were were driving either in a car or bus for about 15 hours yesterday, but it was well worth it.

I already am looking forward to the conference next year.

Heath
Quote this message in a reply
04-22-2013, 06:35 AM
RE: 21 April - last night in Maryland
Was the weather similar yesterday to what it was 148 years ago? Even though it was April-it had to be cold. In Michigan a couple days ago we had snowflakes coming down!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-22-2013, 06:43 AM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2013 06:43 AM by BettyO.)
Weather was pretty chilly here in Hanover VA all weekend - (I'm about 1 1/2 - 2 hours South of Surrattsville area) and was actually 32 degrees this morning with a light frost - rather late in the season for this kind of cold....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
04-22-2013, 07:38 AM
It never got out of the 50s in Surrattsville, plus a breeze made it seem even colder. We have a very light frost here this morning also. Booth and Herold would definitely be needing double blankets this year!
04-22-2013, 11:11 AM
Not to mention that it will always feel colder near, or on, a body of water.
04-22-2013, 09:11 PM
55-60, breezy and cold here outside raleigh NC
04-24-2013, 08:57 PM
The last two weeks (April 10th through 24th) show how the weather can swing so much here in Maryland and Virginia. We have had temperatures in the 30's and in the 80's. Now think of being on the run, spending just a couple of days under roof. By the time Booth arrived at the Garrett home, he was completely spent. After a good night's sleep in a comfortable bed in a friendly house, he must have felt partially rejuvenated. Then it all came crashing back down when he heard the cavalry was heading their way.
04-24-2013, 09:16 PM
And we here in Michigan had snow coming down!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-24-2013, 09:24 PM
(04-24-2013 09:16 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  And we here in Michigan had snow coming down!

Yeah, but you guys up there got the rocker.