Assassination Video Chat Today (4/16) @ 5:00 EST
04-16-2013, 06:37 AM
Assassination Video Chat Today (4/16) @ 5:00 EST
Thanks to Carolyn Mitchell of the Spirits of Tudor Hall Facebook page for bringing this free video chat about the Lincoln assassination being hosted today to my attention:
http://www.shindig.com/event/eje0416

Even if you don't have a webcam or microphone you can still RSVP to watch what this author has to say. I'm going to try and catch it and, if my webcam works, possibly participate.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-16-2013, 07:05 AM
RE: Assassination Video Chat Today (4/16) @ 5:00 EST
I've ordered tickets and may participate as well -- no webcam either....

Thanks, Dave!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
04-16-2013, 08:21 AM (This post was last modified: 04-16-2013 08:32 AM by Dave Taylor.)
If you "Look Inside" the author's book on Amazon, you can read most of his 8 page "chapter" on the Lincoln assassination. I notice a few errors after a quick read:

"Powell was arrested at the home of Mary Surratt in Surrattsville, Maryland." Swing and a miss. Powell was arrested in Washington at Mary's boarding house.

"On April 26, Federal troops trapped Booth and Herold in a barn in Virginia. In the ensuing gun battle, Booth was killed and Herold captured." One shot fired from Boston Corbett's gun = a gun battle?

He also mentions the plan was to kill those in the presidential line of succession, which we know Seward was not.

George "admitted at the trial" that he helped in Booth's plan to kidnap Lincoln. The accused were allowed to speak at the trial now?

"The other four defendants were found guilty of helping the assassins escape and sentenced to prison." I think Sam Arnold and Michael O'Laughlen would have a problem with this generalization.

So already I have a few things to bring up, I suppose.
04-16-2013, 08:31 AM
Agreed! Looks like more sloppy research!!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
04-16-2013, 08:40 AM
(04-16-2013 08:31 AM)BettyO Wrote:  Agreed! Looks like more sloppy research!!

That's the problem I have with books like this that are really just collections of historical tidbits. Rarely are the condensed versions of history accurate. Instead they just spread more misinformation about an event.
04-16-2013, 10:00 AM
Dave, is there any chance we could convince you to present your lecture on the Garrett's on this video site? I'd be more than happy to throw in a few bucks to hear it since I was unable to attend the Surratt conference.

Heath
04-16-2013, 10:30 AM
I'll hold some of my comments till after some of you comment on his talk. I'm not familiar with the speaker or what he has written. Based soley on the comments already made, wouldn't Tudor Hall be better served to have someone, like BettyO, Dave, Laurie, Jim Garrett or several of the people who post here that obviously know what they are talking about, come and speak?

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
04-16-2013, 10:46 AM
Heath,
When I have more time on my hands (probably not until summer) I’ll put up some of what I said in my speech on BoothieBarn. I’m keeping my material on the Garretts close to my chest because I’m hoping to do something more substantial than a blog post with it someday. Thanks for the interest though.

Gene,
The event is not hosted or affiliated with Tudor Hall. Carolyn Mitchell, who runs the Tudor Hall Facebook page, is a friend of mine and sends me emails regarding new Booth related things that pop up. She saw this and sent it my way knowing I'd be interested in it. I think the author put this together himself for the publicity.
04-16-2013, 05:15 PM
FYI on this chat. It is a very interesting platform interactive wise. However, I think Mr. Epstein is a little out of his league. He just said that Jefferson Davis "ran away to Canada" after the assassination. Jeez.
04-16-2013, 05:24 PM (This post was last modified: 04-16-2013 05:26 PM by BettyO.)
Keeps referring to the "Four people who were hung" - also says that Herold waited for Powell....don't really think so!

He also referred to using Wikipedia for research - Geeze Indeed!!! You can't believe EVERYTHING you see on the internet!

04-16-2013, 06:00 PM (This post was last modified: 04-16-2013 06:06 PM by Gene C.)
(04-16-2013 05:24 PM)BettyO Wrote:  You can't believe EVERYTHING you see on the internet!

That's why I recommend "Lincoln Assassination Truth Detector X-Ray Vison Sunglasses" Cool Just wear these, and you will instantly know if what your reading about the assassination is true or a bunch of goofy nonesense, And for only $19.95 plus s&h. But wait, theres more. With each cash order we'll sign you up for free to the Lincloln Assassination Symposium, a $9,999 value. And if you call within the next 60 seconds we'll also send you the exciting Dave Taylor Assassination Christmas Album. Yes that the Truth Detector Sunglasses, the subscription to the Assassination Symposium, and the Dave Taylor Christmas Album, all for only $19.95. But wait , theres more. Call right now and we'll double your order . That's right double your order. For only $20.99 more. Plus we'll throw out the best selling copy of Wacky Lincoln Assasination Conspiracy Theories For Dummies. This offer is not available in stores (believe me we tried , and they wouldn't do it) So order now, Whoops! Your sixty seconds offer has expired.

04-16-2013, 06:03 PM (This post was last modified: 04-16-2013 06:06 PM by BettyO.)
What?!? This offer doesn't include the Sock Puppet Lincoln Assassination Theatre DVD?!? What a rip off!! Angry

04-16-2013, 06:06 PM
Well despite some tech issues I stayed for the whole thing. It was clear from early on the the gentlemn was not as well versed in the subject as you would expect somone hosting a video chat to be. He did say that his book was not a Lincoln book and suggested Manhunt for those who wanted to read more. Even the simplest details seemed to confuse him a bit. He said he was more interested in the big conspiracy so I tried throwing him a soft ball by asking his opinion about Edman Spangler. I'm pretty sure he didn't know who I was talking about. I had to come up and tell him that he was one of the conspirators at the trial.

So not the thrilling discussion I was hoping for. He seems like a nice man, but he probably should stick to his areas if expertise when it comes to video chatting.
04-16-2013, 06:08 PM
Agreed, Dave! Thanks for telling us about it.

I kicked out after the "Jeff David fled to Canada" thingy and the reference to using Wiki as a research resource....

04-16-2013, 06:08 PM (This post was last modified: 04-16-2013 06:10 PM by Gene C.)
We had production problems with the sock puppet. It kept turning our feet green.
And the DVD kept getting stuck in my VCR.