It's surgery
04-15-2013, 06:54 PM
It's surgery
I just found out today that I will have to undergo a bypass operation likely this week. I have to see the heart surgeon tomorrow and will learn the details then.

This wasn't how I hoped it would go, but I do have one of the best heart surgeons in the area, so that's something.

Best
Rob

(Oh, and Gene, it looks like the quilt show will have to happen for my wife and I next year).

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-15-2013, 07:39 PM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2013 08:03 PM by Gene C.)
RE: It's surgery
I will get over my dissapointment knowing that you will be in capable hands and getting the kind of medical care that will help you to feel better. You will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers.

If you don't mind, let us know what hospital you will be in so we can send you a card of encouragement.

All the Best - Gene

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
04-15-2013, 07:55 PM
Dear Rob
All your friends on the forum will be rooting and praying for you
Tom
04-15-2013, 08:39 PM
All the best, Rob. Sending good and healing energy your way Smile
04-15-2013, 08:40 PM
You're in my prayers, Rob. I'm sure it will be a complete success. I hope you're back in action soon.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
04-15-2013, 08:45 PM
I know that everything will go fine and that you will be amazed at the new energy you will have to continue your research and writing. God be with you.
04-16-2013, 05:00 AM
Rob, I am sure you will have a positive outcome and be back to normal soon.
04-16-2013, 06:28 AM
Rob -

You will be alright! You are in my thoughts and prayers -

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
04-16-2013, 07:16 AM
Thanks for keeping us posted Rob. Our best to you!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-16-2013, 07:52 AM
My prayers are with you. Rob. Is there someone who will keep us posted on your recovery?
04-16-2013, 08:06 AM
Rob, I am sure all will go well for you. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers. Hope you are back soon and feeling better! Best Gary
04-16-2013, 09:10 AM
Rob,I had a 5-way by-pass,6yrs ago and you will feel like a "new man".-Herb
04-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Thanks everyone.

The surgery is set for 7:45 a.m. (central time) Friday.

I got back from seeing the surgeon this morning, and although I'm still not in the best frame of mind, he did allay my fears on several points. I personally trust him and believe he has the expertise to guide me through the surgery very well. I have my age and generally good health (my A1C is now 6.6. At one point is was over 11...yay me!) as benefits, but it's still going to be a long road ahead.

I'm trying to figure out a way for a conduit to get information here. I'll come up with something before Friday.

Again, thanks everyone for your kind words of support. They mean the world to me.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
04-16-2013, 03:28 PM
I'll be thinking about you, Rob, and sending good vibes your way!

Check out my web sites:

http://www.petersonbird.com

http://www.elizabethjrosenthal.com
04-16-2013, 06:58 PM
Hi, Rob--

My very best wishes and prayers for you and your family.

I am not a medical person, but I was associate director of creative services for several years at the American College of Cardiology in DC, and I know how amazing the science and technology has become in that field. The folks in that field are superstars.

You are lucky that, if surgery is what'll help, you're having it nowadays!!!

My wife had an appendectomy two weeks ago and was running up and down the stairs and doing laundry (until I put the kibosh on it) the SAME day she had the surgery. Having had an appendectomy in the early 1970s, my experience-- and length of stay in the hospital-- was quite different, I can assure you.

Our thoughts will be with you Friday morning and beyond!

--Jim

Please visit my blog: http://jimsworldandwelcometoit.com/