McNair - Grant Hall Dedication
04-04-2013, 10:46 AM
McNair - Grant Hall Dedication
Although the weather was freezing and icy (with strong winds) the dedication of Grant Hall (Quarters 20) at Fort McNair went off fabulously last night!

A very large and interesting attendance - including Surratt Docents, Joan Chaconas, Surratt Society Historian; Louise Oertly, Surratt Society President; Susan Lempke, War College Librarian; James Swanson, Mike Kauffman and yours truly.

Lots of Generals and other dignitaries in attendance as well!

[Image: ncnair14s.jpg]

The Officer's Club Reception Room for the Event

[Image: mcnair01s.jpg]

Display Table of Artifacts donated from Robert Redford which were used in the Movie The Conspirator as well as books and period newspapers and illustrations

[Image: mcnair02s.jpg]

[Image: mcnair04s.jpeg]

[Image: mcnair03s.jpg]

The Surratt Representatives

[Image: mcnair15s.jpg]

Lovely Surratt Ladies

[Image: mcnair18s.jpg]

Dedication Ceremony

[Image: mcnair43s.jpg]

The Ladies and Lew Powell welcome guests to the Trial Room

[Image: mcnair2s.jpg]

Lindsey gives a history of the Trial and Courtroom

[Image: mcnair50s.jpg]

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2013, 11:02 AM
RE: McNair - Grant Hall Dedication
Great photo's Betty. Thanks !

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
04-04-2013, 11:23 AM
Yes, thanks! Must have been fun!
04-04-2013, 11:28 AM
Betty, during the dedication ceremony, what (or who) did you guys dedicate the location to? I hope that makes sense =)
04-04-2013, 11:39 AM
I asked Joan Chaconas of my staff this question since she has worked with historians at Ft. McNair for over thirty years. The building was renamed Ulysses S. Grant Hall a number of years ago in order to save it from possible demolition. Previously, it was just Quarters 20 and then Building 20. They chose Grant as the namesake because the remaining section of the Penitentiary was saved during his administration - other wings, etc. having been demolished. It is easier to save something from destruction if it carries a person's name.

As for the current dedication, it is our understanding that the "Dedication" refers to the preservation of the site as a historical landmark to remind future generations of the significance of the Conspiracy Trial of 1865 - a rather unique circumstance in American history.
04-04-2013, 07:53 PM
So will us regular folk be allowed to see this courtroom??
04-04-2013, 08:46 PM
Looks like a good time was had by all.............except maybe Lewis Powell there.
04-05-2013, 09:46 AM
The last I heard, they want to have the third floor courtroom open for tours one Saturday every three months (so four times a year). They need volunteers to man the tours, and they also have to work around the fact that the first two floors are still office spaces.

As for that ridiculous mannequin of Powell, I am surprised that it is included. It is my understanding that it is one of several done by the Museum of Crime and Punishment in D.C. when they sponsored an exhibit on Mary Surratt to coincide with the release of The Conspirator movie. I thought it was poorly done then, and I still think so.
04-05-2013, 01:14 PM
As for that ridiculous mannequin of Powell, I am surprised that it is included. It is my understanding that it is one of several done by the Museum of Crime and Punishment in D.C. when they sponsored an exhibit on Mary Surratt to coincide with the release of The Conspirator movie. I thought it was poorly done then, and I still think so.

Agreed!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
04-05-2013, 04:24 PM
(04-05-2013 01:14 PM)BettyO Wrote:  As for that ridiculous mannequin of Powell, I am surprised that it is included. .

Agreed!

I'll second that. Why oh why do they use it.,. it's ghastly.

‘I’ve danced at Abraham Lincoln’s birthday bash... I’ve peaked.’
Leigh Boswell - The Open Doorway.
http://earthkandi.blogspot.co.uk/
04-05-2013, 04:47 PM
(04-04-2013 11:39 AM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  I asked Joan Chaconas of my staff this question since she has worked with historians at Ft. McNair for over thirty years. The building was renamed Ulysses S. Grant Hall a number of years ago in order to save it from possible demolition. Previously, it was just Quarters 20 and then Building 20. They chose Grant as the namesake because the remaining section of the Penitentiary was saved during his administration - other wings, etc. having been demolished. It is easier to save something from destruction if it carries a person's name.

As for the current dedication, it is our understanding that the "Dedication" refers to the preservation of the site as a historical landmark to remind future generations of the significance of the Conspiracy Trial of 1865 - a rather unique circumstance in American history.

The other issue which yhe military is sensative to is when we are on high alert, they shut down the area military bases to anyone wothout specific business. As some here may know, I tried to get on McNair one cold crist Sunday morning last fall. I was told that no civilians were allowed and that no civilians had been allowed on base for the past several years.
04-05-2013, 04:59 PM
I used to attend meetings at Ft. McNair every month for years after 9/11. As a child, we often went there to shop at the PX and commissary. It was a fairly open post at that time, but it did have the old War College there and also what was called Generals' Row because tradition was that old generals were assigned there and lived there right before retirement.

Anyhow, after 9/11, it became quite a chore to get on the base. Even though my name was on the expected list at the gate, I would have to open my trunk, my console, all doors, and lift the hood. I would then stand aside for about three minutes (forfeiting my ID) with an assault rifle pointed at me as two men checked everything inside and under the car. At first, this was done by MPs; it is now done by security contract guards. I understand that the security was not as strict this past Wednesday evening because of the invitees to this special event.

I have been told - but never confirmed - that McNair is a fall-back point for evacuating Congress from D.C. It is quite close to the Capitol and the Library of Congress. Congress can possibly go to McNair via an underground tunnel system and then be evacuated via helicopters.

The old War College is now termed the National Defense University, and high commands from many nations come there for training. It is easy to understand the high security surrounding the post. That said, it is one of the smallest and most beautiful posts you will ever see. There is an ongoing competition between it and West Point as to which is the oldest military post in the U.S.
04-05-2013, 05:55 PM
I can understand the high levels of security there. On Wednesday, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel gave a speech at the National Defense University. It addressed the issues brewing in North Korea.
04-05-2013, 06:09 PM
I second Laurie's thoughts on Fort McNair. It's a small beautiful post with a rich history. It's a shame that access has been restricted but very understandable.

It's also worth noting that it has been one of Washington's most attractive spots - dating back to the 19th century.

After the conspirators' executions, a concerted effort was made to beautify the area by filling in the smelly, mosquito laden James creek, planting trees and building a sea wall bordering the Potomac.
04-05-2013, 06:16 PM
I agree one hundred percent, John! A beautiful post with a wonderfully exciting history -- wish you and Barry could have been there!

Here is a nice article with a photo of Lindsey Horn and dignitaries

http://www.dvidshub.net/news/104682/gran...V9MzzdNKCM