Richard Baynham Garrett on Finis Bates
07-16-2012, 07:11 PM
Richard Baynham Garrett on Finis Bates
Going through Ida Tarbell's papers, I found this written account of what happened at Garrett's Farm from Richard Baynham Garrett to a man named A.R. Taylor who lived in Memphis, Tennessee. After Finis Bates's book came out in 1907, Garrett wrote this seven page letter to Taylor on Oct. 24, 1907 in which he discounts Bates's book. I've seen accounts written by R.B. Garrett before, but I can't remember seeing this. Instead of typing this, I've attached the link. I don't see anywhere in Tarbell's papers (of the ones I've examined--I have a ton more to go through) where she used this in anything she wrote. It might be that as a collector, she was simply interested in it.

Enjoy!

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-16-2012, 07:20 PM
RE: Richard Baynham Garrett on Finis Bates
That was very neat, Rob. Thanks. I've never seen the reference to Booth saying "It is hard for this man to suffer for what I have done..." The reference to what Edwin Booth wrote I've heard of before and seems right on. His reference to the location of the "JWB" tattoo is off from what I've heard, but all in all, this is hard to argue with.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
07-16-2012, 07:41 PM
Thanks, Rob! This is terrific!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
04-04-2014, 11:21 PM
The church where Richard Garrett was pastor for 21 years is still in operation today!

http://www.abandonedcountry.com/2013/09/...e-calling/
04-05-2014, 12:53 PM
Thanks for mentioning the abandonedcountry website, Rick. I just ran across it the other day and contacted Mr. Swenson. I hope I have persuaded him to go on one of the Surratt Booth Tours.
04-05-2014, 01:54 PM
Great Letter. How would one properly cite it from the Tarbell papers were one to use it?
04-05-2014, 04:56 PM
Excellent find!
04-05-2014, 06:05 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2014 06:13 PM by Rob Wick.)
(04-05-2014 01:54 PM)Wild Bill Wrote:  Great Letter. How would one properly cite it from the Tarbell papers were one to use it?

Bill,

I would imagine it would be along the lines of "Richard Baynham Garrett to A.R. Taylor, 24 October 1907 in Papers of Ida M. Tarbell, Pelletier Library, Allegheny College, Meadville, Penn."

The URL is https://dspace.allegheny.edu/handle/10456/29091

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
04-05-2014, 06:59 PM
Rob, Thanks, Bill
04-06-2014, 11:28 AM
Amazing what one finds while engaged in a task of a different sort.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-13-2016, 03:31 AM
The Garrett son/boy watching events and later retelling them. And his opinion of Boston Corbett must have been very low. Richard Baynham Garrett documents that Boston Corbett was a coward and a liar, here,

Through the cracks could be seen the form of Booth standing in the middle of the building, supported by his crutch. In his hands he held a carbine. At this instant, Sergeant Corbett fired through a crack in the wall. He said afterward that Booth had a gun to his shoulder and was about to kill one of the officers. This is not so, as I was standing within six feet of Corbett when he fired the shot, and Booth never made a motion to shoot."

Corbett lied also to say that God directed his shot to the exact same location behind the ear as Lincoln was shot. Corbett, purporting himself as an honest Christian, would recite this absurd lie at lectures and church sermons. What a great mercy that the boy Richard B. Garrett lived long enough to write down his statement, and showing that Boston Corbett was a fraud posing as a 'reformed Christian'.
01-19-2016, 12:13 PM
I was not previously aware of the Richard B. Garrett letter. It is remarkable in it's clarity and specificity. One fact strikes me as different from other facts noted about Booth's body. RB Garrett mentions the JWB inked initials "on his fore arm just below the elbow" an alludes to this description being in the printed material the soldiers had. Garrett wrote this when he was 54 years old so his memory was likely still intact and accurate. John Elliott and Barry Cauchon in their booklet "Inside the Walls, The Final Days of the Lincoln Conspirators" on page 8 cite a Washington Evening Star article of March 21, 1891 quoting Lawrence Gardner, son of photographer Alexander, who was with his father when Booth's body was examined on the U.S.S. Montauk, as saying "I unbuttoned the shirt cuff on his left arm and displayed on the forearm, the letters J.W.B., surrounded by a wreath of stars". Gardner was 42 when he made this statement so it too should be accurate. So many other accounts I have read over many years place the initials in the web of the hand between the thumb and index finger. These two locations are several inches apart. I wonder if there is any further definitive information on the location of these initials. I tend to think these two accounts are the more accurate of all those I have read. Absent period photographs or drawings, these two first person accounts may the best we have to rely upon.
01-19-2016, 12:20 PM
Asia is one who placed the location of the initials in the area between thumb and forefinger. I've wondered (since John Elliott described the wreath of stars) if Booth had gotten a second, more professional tattoo over the years. Since proper gentlemen usually kept their forearms covered, few people would have seen it or taken the opportunity to comment on it until his death. Too bad we can't ask Ella.
01-19-2016, 04:35 PM
One of the people who identified the remains aboard the Montauk was Charles Dawson, clerk at the National Hotel where Booth was staying. He was questioned by Holt aboard the Montauk on April 27, 1865.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Question: "Have you just examined the dead body which is claimed to be that of J. Wilkes Booth, on board of this vessel?"

Answer: "I have."

Question: "Will you state whether or not in your judgment it is the body of J. Wilkes Booth?

Answer: "I distinctly recognize it as the body of J. Wilkes Booth - first, from the India ink letters: J.W.B. on his wrist, which I have very frequently noticed, and then by a scar on the neck. I also recognize the vest as that of J. Wilkes Booth."

Question: "On which hand or wrist are the India ink initials referred to?"

Answer: "On the left."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Source: p. 123 of Tom Turner's The Assassination of Abraham Lincoln.
01-21-2016, 06:54 PM
Well the waters are really muddied even more by three differing locations, all of which cannot be correct. I suspect Asia would be quite correct in her memory. But Lawrence Gardner should have been as well. Dawson complicates matters by mentioning the wrist. I would think his recollection to not be as credible although his is closest in time frame to seeing the tattoo. I do not think Booth had another tattoo inked as I do not believe such was fashionable at the time. I suppose the speculation will continue.