Mary's education
03-20-2013, 11:07 PM
Mary's education
The May 6, 1838 issue of The Lexington Intelligencer contained an announcement for Madame Mentelle's boarding school stating the students would receive "a truly useful and solid English education in all of its branches."

Exactly what is an English education and all of its branches?
We know the only language spoken at the school was French. While a student, Mary performed in at least one French play, studied music and learned to dance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-21-2013, 08:44 AM
RE: Mary's education
I find it interesting that such a school would even exist in Kentucky in 1838. How many spoke French in Lexington then? Sounds "well-to-do." it was a "boarding school"- what does that signify? Did the students live there?

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-21-2013, 09:54 AM
I think the "English" education refers to the type of curriculum enjoyed by students in England. I have no idea what that entailed in the 1830s, however.

French has been considered the universal language in matters of government and culture for centuries (until lately). Boarding school would have meant that the students stayed there and received meals. I believe Mary was unhappy with her stepmother, so maybe she appreciated being away at school - even if it was in the same town.

We have a receipt for Mary Jenkins's (Surratt) education at the boarding school run by the Sisters of Charity in nearby Alexandria, Virginia. Off the top of my head, I can't remember specific courses, but I do remember that they seemed quite extensive for a young country girl.

There is also a receipt for daughter Anna's tuition at the boarding school run by the sisters Martin in Bryantown. I do recall that she appears to have excelled at music and French. She also had the traditional girls' education in the arts of the needle.
03-21-2013, 11:39 PM
Several people in Mary's social plane spoke French. Her sisters were taught French at an early age. One of her best friends had a French governess. Several members of the Lexington community had left France during the Reign of Terror. Mary's step-grandmother was well versed in French and read French novels. As Laurie stated, French was the universal language of culture.

Mentelle's was a boarding school. Robert Smith Todd paid $120 per year for Mary to board from Monday through Friday each week. She came home on weekends. However, some of the students were day students.

When reading about early 19th century education, I often find the terms "English education" and "Classical education." Classical included Latin and/or Greek. Some announcements for schools mention a "solid English Education" with extras such as sewing, knitting, muisic. Apparently the term was so common to the 19th century reader that a course list for the basic education was not inlcuded.
04-27-2013, 05:27 PM
Donna is speaking at the Spring Mill Inn in Bedford, Indiana.
04-29-2013, 10:54 AM
(04-27-2013 05:27 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Donna is speaking at the Spring Mill Inn in Bedford, Indiana.

I did speak at Spring Mill State Park. The audience was lovely and had wonderful questions. Thanks for the PR!