John Wilkes Booth and Philadelphia's Arch Street Theatre
03-08-2013, 11:39 AM
John Wilkes Booth and Philadelphia's Arch Street Theatre
Thank you to Laurie for sending this article.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2013, 01:17 PM
RE: John Wilkes Booth and Philadelphia's Arch Street Theatre
Really interesting article. She made a comment about Booth that the one act of assassination doesn't define the whole man. That particular thought is something this Forum has helped us all to cultivate. In fact, we are all very complex as human beings-and not simply definable by one thing. Bravo.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-08-2013, 02:41 PM
The article is very intersting. And yes I am sure that Booth was an excellent actor. It is a shame that he (JWB) will always be known for his final act which was to kill the President. People should not be characterized or labeled for one bad decision they have made in their lives but that is how our society has always been. As sad as that is remember JWB said that he wanted to be remembered in history.I think it is a case of be careful what you wish for. You just may get it!
03-08-2013, 03:39 PM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2013 03:40 PM by Gene C.)
I don't agree. Based upon Nora Titone's book, My thoughts Be Bloody, I get the impression that JWB was not that great an actor. Popular, but not a good actor. And don't think this was one bad decision. Shooting the President was a premeditated murder. Shooting an unarmed man in the back of the head was cowardly. This was not a split second decision. At the very least, he thought about this for days, maybe weeks or months. He planned this and it was one long series of bad decisions that most people would never consider doing, and Booth deserves to be despised for what he did.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
03-08-2013, 06:23 PM
Please, please, don't start this argument over again as to what/who was right and what/who was wrong. We have beaten "Booth's dead horse" to death on this in previous threads. Everyone has their own opinion on this as well as other sinister acts in the history of mankind. There is very little left to bring to the table, and in my opinion, nothing new will be accomplished.
03-08-2013, 07:04 PM
I think Booth shot himself.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
03-08-2013, 08:59 PM
Oh, good lord, not you too!

Do y'all subscribe to the theory that if you repeat an idea over and over often enough it will become fact????

Booth was despicable; Booth was despicable; Booth was despicable...........

Booth committed suicide; Booth committed suicide; Booth committed suicide........
03-08-2013, 09:23 PM
I still think Booth shot himself.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
03-08-2013, 09:37 PM
Do you really think you're going to get the last word on this She Rebel?

If all else fails, I'll find out your room number at the hotel next weekend and pay the maid extra to short-sheet your bed, put Saran Wrap under the toilet seat, and a rubber spider on your pillow. I didn't live in a college dorm for four years without getting a lesson in getting even.
03-08-2013, 10:01 PM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2013 10:04 PM by J. Beckert.)
I really think Booth shot himself. And I'm not staying at the hotel. I'm breaking in to the tavern and sleeping on the rope bed. I took the virtual tour. It looks cozy.

03-08-2013, 10:16 PM
Just remember to drag the feather ticking in from the bed in the master bedroom 'cause those bare ropes are damned uncomfortable. When you get up, please tighten the ropes (the wrench is under the bed), drag the feathers back to the other room and then plump them back up again and make the bed. It has to look pristine by the time we open for tours.

Oh, yeah -- I ain't giving you the security code. I want to see the look on your face as the Park Police drag you down the stairs...
03-09-2013, 10:29 AM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2013 11:00 AM by Gene C.)
(03-08-2013 08:59 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Oh, good lord, not you too!

Do y'all subscribe to the theory that if you repeat an idea over and over often enough it will become fact????

Works in politics Big Grin
Joe, I think there's still hope for her

(03-08-2013 09:37 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Booth was despicable; Booth was despicable; Booth was despicable....

By jove, I think she's got it

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
03-09-2013, 10:51 AM
JWB as Actor in Philadelphia
Last weekend, there was a very good article about JWB and his acting career in the Philadelphia Inquirer/Daily News website. It includes interviews with a distant descendant who lives in the area, as well as some quotes from Terry Alford. Compared to many newspaper articles, the writer did an excellent job with the interviews and sources. The articvle references a Callowhill Street address for Asia, I thought Asia and John Sleeper Clarke lived on Arch St at the time of the assassination. It's interesting that when Louis Weichmann moved back to Phila to live with his parents after 1865. his parents also lived on Callowhill about 3-4 blocks from the Clarke address. Callowhill now reflects late 19th-early 20th century buildings. At most there might be 1-2 homes from the Civil War along Callowhill. The link is below:

http://articles.philly.com/2013-03-04/ne...h-assassin
03-09-2013, 05:38 PM
That is the same article that Roger posted for me earlier this week to start this thread. It is a very good piece. The lady featured in the photo at the opening is a member of the Surratt Society, but I have never had an opportunity to speak with her.
03-09-2013, 08:42 PM
Gene, I think you may have missed understood me and how I feel about Booth. I know that Laurie will most likely yell at me for going over this AGAIN about our Mr. Booth. Forgive me Laurie. I feel that I need to explain my prior post. I also think that Booth was a coward and deserved all the bad press he has and will receive in the future. I was expressing how I thought JWB was feeling about how he wanted to be remembered in history. ALL DONE LAURIE! Have a good day all.