April 15, 1865 New York Herald's
03-07-2013, 01:17 AM
April 15, 1865 New York Herald's
Most everyone in this forum already knows that the April 15, 1865 New York Herald has been widely reprinted. Would you believe that, so far, I have documented 51 different times/versions of this reprint?

I have created an online atlas of known Lincoln assassination newspaper (April 15, 1865) reprints. It also includes other titles than just the New York Herald and shows all pages of each version. Visitors click through thumbnails to launch full-size scans of each issue.

Being a noted Lincoln collector, it puts me in an awkward position. I often receive phone calls from people wanting to sell me an "original" Lincoln assassination newspaper. In the past 47 years I have been offered the 4/15/1865 Herald at least 10,000 times - and only ONCE it was actually an original! The awkward part is when I inform them that their specimen is actually a reprint. I can't turn around and tell them it is a reprint and offer them $20 for it Sad

eBay drives me nuts!! On average, the April 15, 1865 New York Herald, has 3 new listings a week. 99% of the listings relate that their specimen is an original when it is actually a reprint. To those that claim their specimen is an original but is actually a reprint, I send them an email explaining why their specimen is a reprint and direct them to my online atlas. On average, out of 10 listings that I email, 2 advise they are canceling their auction, 3 thank me for showing them why theirs is not an original but DO NOT change their listing.Sadly, there's always at least 1 out of 10 that email me back "You know it is a reprint. I know it is a reprint but the bidders don't know it is a reprint."

The URL is http://www.historybuff.com/newspapers/assassination

Rick Brown
HistoryBuff.com
A Nonprofit Organization
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2013, 08:50 AM
RE: April 15, 1865 New York Herald's
Hello Rick. When I need info on assassination related newspapers, I visit your site. That is the best!
03-07-2013, 09:19 AM
Hello Rick, Thank you for the information on reproductions. E-bay drives me nuts also. You have to do your homework when buying from them or anyone else. Some people on that site will tell you anything to have you buy the item they are selling. Anyway I love your site and just signed up for your newsletter. Thanks again. Best Gary
03-07-2013, 10:38 AM
Just curious, Rick. How many times have you been offered the chance to purchase a lock of Mary Surratt's hair complete with a false CDV of the lady?
03-07-2013, 12:53 PM
Rick: generally speaking, what is the value of an original?

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-07-2013, 01:07 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2013 01:08 PM by historybuff22.)
(03-07-2013 10:38 AM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  Just curious, Rick. How many times have you been offered the chance to purchase a lock of Mary Surratt's hair complete with a false CDV of the lady?

None. Since I am in directories as a historic newspaper dealer, I seldom get offered other items.

Rick Brown
HistoryBuff.com
A Nonprofit Organization

(03-07-2013 12:53 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Rick: generally speaking, what is the value of an original?

Depends on which edition. The 2 AM
03-07-2013, 01:11 PM
The 2am?

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-07-2013, 01:14 PM
(03-07-2013 12:53 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Rick: generally speaking, what is the value of an original?

Depends on which edition and condition, of course. 2 AM, 3 AM and 10 AM (regular edition) = $1,800-$2,500. 10 AM (reward edition) = $2,800-$3,500; 8:45 AM and 2 PM = $4,500-$6,000.

Rick Brown
HistoryBuff.com
A Nonprofit Organization
03-07-2013, 02:05 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2013 02:07 PM by Gene C.)
Rick, How would you compare the quality of reporting back then to today, in regards to accuracy and grammar?
Were there newspaper equivelent to our grocery store tabloids?
Who were the most respected and influencial papers of the time?

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
03-07-2013, 03:39 PM
(03-07-2013 02:05 PM)Gene C Wrote:  Rick, How would you compare the quality of reporting back then to today, in regards to accuracy and grammar?

Rick, another question I would like to add is which newspapers were pro-North and which were pro-South?
03-07-2013, 06:06 PM
Keep going, guys and gals. I think I see the bud of a 2014 conference talk starting to blossom! And he comes complete with Show & Tell.
03-07-2013, 07:44 PM
(03-07-2013 03:39 PM)Linda Anderson Wrote:  
(03-07-2013 02:05 PM)Gene C Wrote:  Rick, How would you compare the quality of reporting back then to today, in regards to accuracy and grammar?

Rick, another question I would like to add is which newspapers were pro-North and which were pro-South?

The biggest difference is the amount of coverage. Today, when a major news event happens, we are lucky if there are 300-500 words on the event and there are lots of "sound bites," e.g. "It was horrible." "It was awful," etc. For Lincoln's assassination, the typical length of the articles were 10,000 words or more. Eyewitness accounts ran 300-600 words each. For major battles of the Civil War, like Gettysburg, Bull Run, etc. they too contained 10,000 words or more. Even minor battles utilized a couple thousand words.

Back then, there were a few inaccurate reports. One example is that first reports of the Lincoln assassination also reported that Seward had been killed also. These inaccurate reports were primarily due to lack of technology for faster communication.

Of course, most newspapers in the North were pro-union and the South pro-confederacy. There were a few exceptions. The Crisis, printed in Ohio, was pro-confederacy as well as a Washington City newspaper. They called them Copperhead newspapers. I am not aware of any Southern newspapers that were pro-Union, but that doesn't mean that there were none.

See my new post in the Trivia category for a question about a first report of press coverage of the Lincoln assassination.

Rick Brown
HistoryBuff.com
A Nonprofit Organization
03-08-2013, 03:42 PM
(03-07-2013 01:17 AM)historybuff22 Wrote:  Most everyone in this forum already knows that the April 15, 1865 New York Herald has been widely reprinted. Would you believe that, so far, I have documented 51 different times/versions of this reprint?

I have created an online atlas of known Lincoln assassination newspaper (April 15, 1865) reprints. It also includes other titles than just the New York Herald and shows all pages of each version. Visitors click through thumbnails to launch full-size scans of each issue.

Being a noted Lincoln collector, it puts me in an awkward position. I often receive phone calls from people wanting to sell me an "original" Lincoln assassination newspaper. In the past 47 years I have been offered the 4/15/1865 Herald at least 10,000 times - and only ONCE it was actually an original! The awkward part is when I inform them that their specimen is actually a reprint. I can't turn around and tell them it is a reprint and offer them $20 for it Sad

eBay drives me nuts!! On average, the April 15, 1865 New York Herald, has 3 new listings a week. 99% of the listings relate that their specimen is an original when it is actually a reprint. To those that claim their specimen is an original but is actually a reprint, I send them an email explaining why their specimen is a reprint and direct them to my online atlas. On average, out of 10 listings that I email, 2 advise they are canceling their auction, 3 thank me for showing them why theirs is not an original but DO NOT change their listing.Sadly, there's always at least 1 out of 10 that email me back "You know it is a reprint. I know it is a reprint but the bidders don't know it is a reprint."

The URL is http://www.historybuff.com/newspapers/assassination

Rick Brown
HistoryBuff.com
A Nonprofit Organization

Great site, but half of your links don't work...at least for me. I'm using Google Chrome.

‘I’ve danced at Abraham Lincoln’s birthday bash... I’ve peaked.’
Leigh Boswell - The Open Doorway.
http://earthkandi.blogspot.co.uk/
03-08-2013, 04:56 PM
(03-08-2013 03:42 PM)MaddieM Wrote:  
(03-07-2013 01:17 AM)historybuff22 Wrote:  The URL is http://www.historybuff.com/newspapers/assassination

Rick Brown
HistoryBuff.com
A Nonprofit Organization

Great site, but half of your links don't work...at least for me. I'm using Google Chrome.

I recently switched to Google Chrome and am seeing the same problem on other sites as well. Usually, I have to click the refresh button 2 or 3 times for it to load.

Rick Brown
HistoryBuff.com
A Nonprofit Organization
03-26-2013, 09:18 PM
Nice website Rick!
When I was in the 6th grade I was given a newspaper from Worcester Ma, detailing the assassination of Lincoln. I took it to show-and-tell, put it in my desk, went to lunch, came back and noticed with horror that it was missing. I have not seen it since! After looking at your site, I might now be inclined to believe that I had a reproduction. Although it was my grandfather who gave it to me after finding it in his attic so it might have been an original.

Craig