Laurie and the Ghost of Mary Surratt
01-16-2013, 11:17 AM
Laurie and the Ghost of Mary Surratt
Last night I was watching a show called "Haunted Houses" on the Biography channel and lo and behold there was....Laurie at the Surratt House. This particular show was taped in 1999. It was about Mary Surratt haunting the Surratt house and where she was executed. Laurie- it was so nice to see a face and voice instead of just a name on the forum!!! Elizabeth Trindal was there being interviewed and called John Wilkes Booth a devil. Very interesting to watch.

Laurie- Can you share some ghost stories about Mary Surratt with everyone here? I'm sure they would love to hear some. Also- do you still hear Mary at the Surratt House?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-16-2013, 12:40 PM
RE: Laurie and the Ghost of Mary Surratt
After thirteen years, I can't remember what I said on which show; but I sure hope this one was one of the better ghost shows. There was one television production that I would burn all copies of if I could get my hands on it. They completely changed the whole format that they had presented for us to approve. All of a sudden, I had my costumed volunteers floating down hallways in the final version - which we never saw ahead of time!

That said, I have never heard Mary or seen anything at Surratt House. I will admit to hearing footsteps that I could not explain, but they were definitely men's work boots. Others have claimed the same thing. Our theory is that it's John Lloyd, who has been doomed to spend eternity here for betraying his landlady.

Others have claimed to see the figure of a man reflected in the bedroom mirror. He was sitting in the rocker in that room, but when the guide turned to look at the rocker no one was in it. We have also had a report of a child in period dress peering under the bed and sounds of a child crying. A television director claimed to have been shoved by unseen forces in the family dining room at the house - the room where the authorities chopped through the wall to retrieve the one carbine left behind by Booth and Herold.

Now, for the good news: We have been "investigated" by two mediums over the years, and both have assured us that we have no ghosts -- only feelings and emotions. One even referred to us as a "sick house." As long as this sick house keeps writing paychecks, I can live with it! Frankly, I have more trouble with real people than with ghosts.

P.S. We do refuse all requests for paranormal investigation. The first medium snuck in on one of our tours - the second was part of a television pilot program that never got off the ground.
01-16-2013, 12:54 PM
Laurie, I didn't know you were interviewed on one of those shows! Tongue What you said about your costumed volunteers made me chuckle, and I think it is wise you refuse requests for paranormal investigations. I've heard there are stories about Mary (or someone) actively haunting Fort McNair. Never have heard any story involved with the Surratt House Museum other than what Laurie said about the footsteps.
01-16-2013, 01:45 PM
Laurie- i don't recall seeing anyone dressed up and floating around!lol It was a very good show with you, Elizabeth Trindal,and two men which I didn't catch their names. In the show there was a pyschic who said Mary Surratt was @Ft. McNair and was reliving her death over and over. They then showed owners of the house which was where the conspirators trial took place and where Mary Surratt was jailed in her cell. The owner was saying how haunted it was. I don't remember all of it because I Was falling asleep.I would love to see an investigation there!
01-16-2013, 02:40 PM
There are some wonderful ghost stories "floating" around Ft. McNair. When I'm not up to my eyeballs with work, remind me to share...
01-16-2013, 03:06 PM
I'm looking forward to hearing them Laurie!!!
01-16-2013, 05:43 PM
If Dr. Hall arrives, let me know.
01-17-2013, 11:06 AM
Oh, Jerry -- Betty and I talk to James O. Hall on a regular basis. So far, he has remained quiet from the great beyond. I also want John C. Brennan to return to offer his unique guidance. What a wonderful pair those two were in the Lincoln assassination field - and they remained gentlemen throughout. The only two researchers that I know of who could ruffle their feathers were Eisenschiml and Neff. A few others would just cause them to smile and shake their heads.
01-17-2013, 11:43 AM
Oh, I remember that old show -- the one with the docents going down the hall! Thank God, I wasn't in that one, but I think Louise was.....

Some of those old shows are really flakey.

Yes, boy do I miss Messrs. Hall, Brennan and Keesler! All three were such wonderful role models and an inspiration! Everyone shared and no one ever got mad...... I think of them and the good old days a lot - especially when I go thorough my files and see John Brennan's old yellow "thins" - his tissue paper carbon copies of research he'd send around.....

Thank goodness, I have a LOT of his and Mr. Brennan's talks on Cassette Tape which I've converted over to MP3 and are on my iPod!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
01-17-2013, 02:00 PM
Betty: I was gonna say: Who has a cassette player anymore! I went to Best Buy last week to purchase a new CD player. Boy, am I a dinosaur! The salesmen very politely informed me that technology had passed me buy. He went into the back area and found me a boxed-never sold-CD player. He said it was the last one. He also said CD's are on their "last days." Well, maybe I am too. Oh well. Oh yeah, I bought the CD player-a 5 disc changer.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-18-2013, 05:55 AM
Bill, we have not been able to play our eight-tracks in the car as we cannot find where the tape player is located. Any ideas where to look?
01-18-2013, 08:33 AM
Eight Tracks?! OMG - I remember those! I have literally TONS of really good cassettes and a LOT of ones with John Brennan, Mr Hall, Mike Kauffman (including yours truly) and others speaking on them -

I have software which converts the cassettes to MP3 - and I have used it alot! Good to have nowadays!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
01-18-2013, 05:17 PM
Roger, I share in your your dilemma-I have records but no record player, cassettes but no cassette player. I pawned all my 8 tracks years ago!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-22-2013, 12:14 PM
I wonder if Mary's Ghost interferes with the tennis at Fort McNair.
01-22-2013, 01:33 PM
(01-22-2013 12:14 PM)wsanto Wrote:  I wonder if Mary's Ghost interferes with the tennis at Fort McNair.

Do balls go missing?

‘I’ve danced at Abraham Lincoln’s birthday bash... I’ve peaked.’
Leigh Boswell - The Open Doorway.
http://earthkandi.blogspot.co.uk/