Booth's Escape Route
01-03-2013, 10:09 AM
Booth's Escape Route
Another question from me, and again, sorry if it's been answered before.

Why did JWB take the route he did? I've looked at the map, and it seems a very long convoluted way to go. Why didn't he go North, then East, rather than south, then east?

‘I’ve danced at Abraham Lincoln’s birthday bash... I’ve peaked.’
Leigh Boswell - The Open Doorway.
http://earthkandi.blogspot.co.uk/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2013, 10:39 AM
RE: Booth's Escape Route
For both the kidnap plot and the final assassination escape, Booth was depending on the Confederate Secret Line for assistance. That Line was especially strong in Southern Maryland and had been throughout the war. They had routinely smuggled people, materiels, etc. across the Potomac into the Northern Neck of Virginia and straight to Richmond and points south for four years.

If Booth had crossed upriver into Virginia around Alexandria or Arlington, he would be going into an area that had been "conquered" by the Federals early in the war. Points north into Maryland also led him into areas friendly with the Feds.

IMO (and get ready for rebuttals), Booth had every intention of making it as far south as possible before hopping a ship to Europe or heading towards the Mexican border. We know that he had shipped his theatrical wardrobe south months earlier. Acting was his livelihood, and costumes are the backbone of that livelihood, so follow those costumes (even though they never made it).
01-03-2013, 11:31 AM
Likewise, some have wondered why Powell didn't go South along with Booth...

I for one believe that he was headed North to Baltimore. More than likely to the Branson's, either to hide out there as a lay-over or to take Mary and skedaddle up North to Canada and the safety of the Canadian Cabinet there..... I don't believe that at that time that he had the intention of going home to Florida any time soon.

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
01-03-2013, 11:40 AM
Here we go again, Laurie. . . . Possibly Booth was going north, too, see Larry Starkey, Wilkes Booth Came to Washington.

Also, John Stanton has an intriguing article in the Courier on John Surratt being there on the Canadian border with Sarah Slater to meet them. It is all put forth in the chapter notes of my Confederate Freedom Fighter, available at the Surratt Society, I believe.
01-03-2013, 02:13 PM
(01-03-2013 11:31 AM)BettyO Wrote:  Likewise, some have wondered why Powell didn't go South along with Booth...

I for one believe that he was headed North to Baltimore. More than likely to the Branson's, either to hide out there as a lay-over or to take Mary and skedaddle up North to Canada and the safety of the Canadian Cabinet there..... I don't believe that at that time that he had the intention of going home to Florida any time soon.

Yeah, I'm guessing Florida would have been just too far anyway, and perhaps he might have felt some element of shame about facing his family and them finding out what he did.

‘I’ve danced at Abraham Lincoln’s birthday bash... I’ve peaked.’
Leigh Boswell - The Open Doorway.
http://earthkandi.blogspot.co.uk/
01-03-2013, 09:29 PM
I agree with Laurie. He was following the Confederate intelligence line, or the escape route tour. I think really any other direction was too hot to handle. Going down through Southern Maryland, he was following a route that he could depend on the loyalty and integrity of the people. He was right. He got help all along the way, and people pretty much minded their own business. With the area crawling with troppers looking for him, high placed officers throwing out huge rewards, he still made it through and down into Virginia before someone mentioned two men crosing the river (Harbin & Baden).
01-03-2013, 09:49 PM
I agree with Starkey for reasons that I've detailed before and can be found in my book 'A threat to the republic' also available at the Surratt Society.
01-18-2013, 11:41 AM
To those who are wondering why Powell did not go with Herold and Booth to the destination point outside of Washington D.C. at the Naval Bridge Yard, it was because Powell was left behind at the Secretary of State's house. When Powell was attempting to assassinate the Secretary of State William H. Seward, Herold had heard the screaming from inside the house and decided to leave with Powell's horse. Powell was then left to walk the streets of Washington D.C. where he would be picked up later by police. Powell was not knowledgeable at the area of Washington D.C. which is why Herold was there originally, because Herold knew the roads better than any of the other conspirators.
01-18-2013, 12:11 PM
I really disagree with Powell being lost. True, Herold abandoned him but he could get out of DC with little effort. All he had to do was find the rails and follow them northeastward. On the edge of the city he could have navagated by the stars.

He found Mrs. Surratt's (AKA the Chinese restaurant nowadays) from the railroad station all on his own when he first arrived, following instructions from his Baltimore contacts like David Parr and the Bransons. He came back into DC after being dumped from his horse and suffering a concussion and found Mrs. Surratt's again.

My belief is that Powell has been badly treated by historians as a dumb Southern country boy, until Betty O came along and straightened it all out. He was the quintessential soldier on a military mission behind the lines--just like when he operated with Mosby Rangers.

Mosby found him to be a capable soldier with much cunning and skill, not a liability. That's how he got the assassination assignment in the first place, and that is how he acted the whole time, right down to keeping his mouth shut afterward. But he defended Mrs. Surratt until the end, as any Southern gentleman would.
01-18-2013, 12:31 PM
I'm undecided as to if he were lost or not. I can see after trying to assassinate Seward and the unanticipated results he may have panicked in not finding Davey there to be with him on the escape. The falling, or being thrown off the horse, and head injury didn't help. By the time he can recover his senses, Booth,Davey and maybe the horse, are long gone. Since he had some money, beats me why he headed over to Mrs. Surratt's at such a late hour. (looking for a safe house, a place to sleep and a warm meal, some guidance?)

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
01-18-2013, 12:36 PM (This post was last modified: 01-18-2013 12:37 PM by BettyO.)
Interesting post -

Thanks Bill for your kind words....Blush - and thanks Matt for posting!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
01-18-2013, 01:02 PM
I have to dissagree with Jim's assessment that Booth was following the escape route tour. Sure, that would make it convenient for the Surratt Society years later but I think there was more to his decision.
01-18-2013, 01:46 PM
Agreed, Rich!

01-18-2013, 01:53 PM
We also have to remember that there was supposedly a horse and buggy waiting for Herold and Booth in Bowling Green, plus it was the easiest route . . . I believe without being spotted by Union infantry and cavalry
01-18-2013, 02:02 PM
Rich,

If Booth was not taking advantage of the Confederate operatives along the Secret Line, what are your ideas as to why he took the route he did?

JWB1865 (Matt?) - What is your citation for a horse and buggy waiting for the fugitives in Bowling Green? I don't recall ever reading or hearing about that.

One other thought on Powell: Betty, is there any evidence that Powell was ever in D.C. before becoming involved with Booth - like maybe during his Mosby days? I don't think he had any problems finding his way around and didn't need Herold as a guide unless he were to head for Southern Maryland with the others.